• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (2 Viewers)

Philip

Just checking Paul - is your first photo definitely Red Philip?

I can't see the whole tag. If it is, may I send it to Noel Adamson, who is hoping to film Red Philip and Yorkshire Lass - when we get a fine day. Five of us were out this morning and saw nothing - it was wet and raw!!

Three Pictures of a couple our popular local kites

Your reply would be from Helen Olive who came and stayed with me when we first were starting our re-introduction. I have one of her photographs on my study wall. Do have a look at her website redkites.net some very good info there.

You are quite right june it is, and yes the website is very useful.

An invitation to our Anniversary Celebration at Sage Gateshead

Like many BirdForum members, we celebrate our work with our avian friends.
The poster gives details and both our website and that of Sage Gateshead give
all the information about the programme and the Booking procedure.

Do come - it will be a great day!!

Attachments

• ORKWINGS Poster.JPG
    ORKWINGS Poster.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 46

I can't see the whole tag. If it is, may I send it to Noel Adamson, who is hoping to film Red Philip and Yorkshire Lass - when we get a fine day. Five of us were out this morning and saw nothing - it was wet and raw!!

June the picture I posted on the 24th March is Red Phillip with O/G1 which I believe is the Yorkshire bird. I was out with Ken on Thursday and she now seems to have mated with a new partner and has a nest in Witches Wood down from the nest she had with Philip. If Noel is hoping to film them together it looks like he is to late. No idea where Phillip is now. Confused? I certainly am.

June just noticed you were asking about the pictures posted on the 28th yes it is Red Phillip but he has moved on somewhere else his partner at this site is now elsewhere (see my earlier post)

Paul

Pictures

While doing some weeding of my pictures I came across these which I haven't posted anywhere thought I would put them on as there is a bit of a lull in postings at the moment with nesting going on.

Attachments

• Image 1.jpg
    Image 1.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    532.4 KB · Views: 58
Red Kites

Excellent shots, Paul. Lovely one of the two in tandem and the perched one is very clear.
Okay if I send these two to Sage Gateshead for the IT Team to use for our Anniversary Event? I acknowledge your work.

June

While doing some weeding of my pictures I came across these which I haven't posted anywhere thought I would put them on as there is a bit of a lull in postings at the moment with nesting going on.

Excellent shots, Paul. Lovely one of the two in tandem and the perched one is very clear.
Okay if I send these two to Sage Gateshead for the IT Team to use for our Anniversary Event? I acknowledge your work.

June

No problem June use whichever ones you would like to

Paul

Kites on Display

Anyone going in to Newcastle in the next few days might be interested in seeing my exhibition : Red Kite Retrospective (and a bit more besides) at Newcastle City Library until Wednesday evening.

It's a selection (but by no means all) of the originals and prints I've made since the re-introduction began 10 years ago, with plenty of FoRK literature on display as well (thanks June)

Opening hours for the library are : Sat 9.30-5pm, Sun 11-5pm, Weekdays 8.30-8pm (though the display will becoming down around 6pm Wednesday)

Gosforth artist Bob Laine is also showing a fine display of landscapes.

Cheers

Alan M

Attachments

• poster1.jpg
    poster1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 57
  • P1050791b.jpg
    P1050791b.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 63
  • P1050796b.jpg
    P1050796b.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
This crow tried to follow the male into a nest only for the female Kite to see what was going on and became involved.

Attachments

• Kite and Crow.jpg
    Kite and Crow.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 73
Corvid danger

Our kites seem to be having a hard time - the corvids are a real menace. Rooks, crows and jackdaws all appear to be harassing the kites, especially in the area where there may be nest sites.

But at least this female is having none of it - good for her!

This crow tried to follow the male into a nest only for the female Kite to see what was going on and became involved.

Kite Watch Sunday 8 June 2014

It's Kite Watch time again - and you are all invited!

Bring the whole family and a picnic; we are celebrating our double Anniversary!

Here are the details and the map shows how to get to Kite Hill.

Attachments

• Anniversary Kite Watch 2014.JPG
    Anniversary Kite Watch 2014.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 46
  • AnniversaryKite_ Watch map 2014.jpg
    AnniversaryKite_ Watch map 2014.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 53
News of Scarlet Wing Tag 02 2004

Doug Simpson, MBE has just sent us news of Scarlet, the red kite which defected from the Derwent Valley to join the Yorkshire kites near Harewood House, Harrogate.
Scarlet made headline news - she was the youngster who flew 2000 miles up and down the UK until she finally decided to make her home with an untagged kite at Harewood. She has had an impressive number of chicks; Doug sends this photo of her with one chick visible and one tucked down in the nest.

He says: Thought you'd like this. Took it this afternoon. It's the first I've seen of her for two years. She's got two chicks, only one of which is showing here. The pink tag has gone grey and the number may appear more like a '7' than a '2'. However, I confirmed it as a '2' through the scope. She's in the same wood as where she last nested a few years back.

It is so nice to have news of her and that she is still thriving with her chicks.

Attachments

• Scarlet  YK _67_DS.jpg
    Scarlet YK _67_DS.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 69
sightings

Red Kite reported over Lambton Estate Chester le Street then reported dropping into the estate. Although this should be an ideal area this is the first I've heard of in this area.

Red Kite seen by my friend near the Wolviston round about, may of possible had a wing tag, however he was driving at the time and could not get a proper look.

Damian

Tagged Chick

Here is one of our recently tagged chicks enjoying the sunshine out of it's nest. Hopefully it will be out and about soon.

Attachments

• J05.1 mail.jpg
    J05.1 mail.jpg
    879.2 KB · Views: 44
  • J02.1 mail.jpg
    J02.1 mail.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 51
  • J01.1 mail.jpg
    J01.1 mail.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 34
Our new northern Red Kite chicks

One of the many, Paul! A record number this year!!

We are so pleased to have more chicks this year, having had poor breeding figures for the last few years.

To see photos of all the chicks tagged and ringed go to:

http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page15.htm

We shall be celebrating at Sage Gateshead with an all-day Event ON RED KITE WINGS.

Details here: http://www.sagegateshead.com/event/on-red-kite-wings/

Here is one of our recently tagged chicks enjoying the sunshine out of it's nest. Hopefully it will be out and about soon.

Attachments

• Cappy Scar, Rowlands Gill - H8 & H9_KS.jpg
    Cappy Scar, Rowlands Gill - H8 & H9_KS.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 39
Tagged Chicks

Yes June it has been a much better year this but I'm sure no one is counting their chickens (sorry for the pun) Clearly a lot of work has gone into this years survey with lot of help from great volunteers.

It's good to see while persecution is going on elsewhere our local Birds seem to be doing slightly better, as you say a record year for tagging. A big thanks obviously needs to go to everyone involved in Fork.:clap: The work they are doing will surely bring a lot of pleasure to many over the coming years being able to have the pleasure of watching these beautiful birds gracing our skies.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back