• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Micro ID Please (1 Viewer)

Denis

Gwent Wildlife Trust
Hello folks

We're still trapping - enthused by a visit from our county recorder who as I think I said a while back lives very close to us and traps even closer!

Anyway, down to business. I caught this one not in the trap but on the kitchen window last night. I've been through the Pyralids and don't think it's one of those although it does carry its antennae close to the body. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it....especially if you could advise what features steered you to the identification or peraps just the familly.

This moth was approx 9mm long.

Thanks in advance

Denis

Attachments

• Unknown Micro for birdforum.jpg
    Unknown Micro for birdforum.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 135
Denis said:
Hello folks

We're still trapping - enthused by a visit from our county recorder who as I think I said a while back lives very close to us and traps even closer!

Anyway, down to business. I caught this one not in the trap but on the kitchen window last night. I've been through the Pyralids and don't think it's one of those although it does carry its antennae close to the body. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it....especially if you could advise what features steered you to the identification or peraps just the familly.

This moth was approx 9mm long.

Thanks in advance

Denis
Hi Denis,

First of all I think its possibly Acleris Hastiana.(tortrix) A very variable species with at least 80 known forms in British Iles.

As to why I think it may be this.........experience. Micros are daunting to begin with, but its surprising how after a year or 2 you can suss out which families most of them belong to.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back