• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Enda said:
forsters tern today at cruisetown (found by Don H. & Gerry o N. this morn ) showed well this afternoon for a short time. adult med gull was also present
Caught up with the forsters tern Sunday afternoon, great find.

Very enjoyable and interesting evening in the Spirit Store last night.

A quick trip to Baltray beach at lunchtime showed plenty of waders - dunlins, sanderlings, a few hundred knots. Also plenty of gulls. It's a good place for terns so I checked to see if there were any on the off chance that the forsters tern might be there but no luck. I take it there have been no sightings of it since?

newbie checking in

Have just recently come across this forum and have registered today.As you can see I'am not actually from Co. Louth but I do most of my birding around Cooley.I was at the talk in the Spirit Store on Monday night but had to leave as soon as it was over so I didn't get a chance to meet you all.Hope to remedy this in the future.

JimmyC said:
Have just recently come across this forum and have registered today.As you can see I'am not actually from Co. Louth but I do most of my birding around Cooley.I was at the talk in the Spirit Store on Monday night but had to leave as soon as it was over so I didn't get a chance to meet you all.Hope to remedy this in the future.
Hi JimmyC and welcome, the more here the merrier.

Just found out what's going on at Mell quarry. Aside from the new fence that was put up there has been a lot more work going on over the past few weeks, levelling out of the mounds, areas cleared for paths and they have portacabins in there now. What's going on is that since the recycling centre was built on the other side of the quarry the entrance into the nearby old landfill site is gone. Drogheda Borough Council have to put a cap on the landfill site and this is now the only way in for them. As soon as they have their work done that entrance will no longer be used and the quarry will be left in peace. There are no plans whatsoever for the quarry at present.

quite enough ,juv med gull at cruisetown,4 little egrets & 2 ruff at seabank curlew sandpiper and the first 2 greylag geese of the season at lurgangreen
btw.juv med gull was unringed so was different bird than a couple of weeks ago. welcome Jimmyc

Attachments

• med.jpg
    med.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 116
Hi Jimmy C, good to have another contributor to the forum.

The talk in the Spirit Store on Monday last was excellent, well done Breffni.

Crow roost at Park Hotel

Hi all and welcome Jimmy C. Unfortunately I missed the Spirit Store meet last week as I was abroad. While in Warrenpoint on Saturday evening I noted large numbers of crows flying SW towards the wood at the Park Hotel. They came from North of Carlingford Lough - from the Mournes beyond Rostrevor and also from the Carlingford / Omeath direction. I counted over 1,400 while I watched but I'd say there were many more. There seemed to be no movements from West to East (i.e. from Newry etc).
While near Grange, Cooley yesterday evening I noted crows gathering and flying WNW in the direction of Omeath. I can only assume that they were heading to the above mentioned roost - some 9 miles away.
Where are there other large roosts in Louth - it would be a good way of estimating crow numbers in the area.
Nothing interesting to report from the Carlingford / Cooley area at the weekend.

Noticed in the past week or so a large influx of Long tailed Tits in the area.
Do these continental birds bump up the irish population during the winter ?

I didnt see any in years and then recently I have spotted small groups of them in 3 different areas.

Funny enough when I was out at lunchtime in Beaulieu I saw a flock of long tailed tits, must be about 6 months since I'd seen any. I don't know about migration, someone else might help there.

Over the years I've seen massive numbers of crows flying past Kilsaran morning and evening, I don't know where they roost but they seem to head in the direction of Drumcar in the evening. There would be thousands, the sky would be absolutely full of them for quite a while. If I figure out where they actually roost I'll let you know.

Quiet enough weekend, 4 ruff at seabank being the best.

Out yesterday saw a phesant half way up a small tree being mobbed by four magpies...weird behavior for a phesant but it turned out to be an elderberry tree and the phesant was eating the elderberries, to the great displeasure of the magpies. Last year i saw a pair of mistle thrushes guard a holly bush pretty much all winter chasing off all comers.

Later at Lurgangreen a curlew sandpiper and a small flock of whooper swans drinking and preening by the Fane. At seabank four or five Ruff.

Twitched the canada warbler on Friday, dipped the very elusive baltimore oriole on saturday but two cooperative yellow browed warblers made up for it. Shots of the canada warbler:
http://www.kitday-uk.com/canada_warbler.html

My 10 cents worth would be that it might be a bit early in the year for an influx of long-tailed tits - i suspect that they become more visible at this time of the year because they start to join into large groups of 10 or more birds foraging together, also because there is less foilage on the trees, making them easier to see, also because to get the insects they eat they may need to search beyond the areas where they breed. There is a good BBC Radio 4 show on long tailed tits here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/livingworld_20060326.shtml

I have an adult and a juv buzzard regularly visiting the area of templetown/balaggan, sometimes associating to hunt the many discreet rabbits in the area, the juv light with a huge white supercilium, the adult very dark.

Last monday had five swallows, and yesterday two...as late as i have seen them around here. Derek heard redwings last night - redwings and swallows in the same week...amazing! But then a yellow browed warbler turned up in the same garden as a red eyed vireo in Mayo last week, the former should be in south east asia, the latter a should be in latin america!

Attachments

• buzzard adult templetown oct 06.jpg
    buzzard adult templetown oct 06.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 113
  • buzzard templetown oct 06.jpg
    buzzard templetown oct 06.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Up to a thousand scoters off Cruicetown today. At Hermitage saw a flock of about forty Jackdaws flying together, changing direction etc. They eventually made their way to where we were and we could see that they were harassing a Kestral .... quite a sight. Tommy saw ten House Martins on Wednesday so as you said Breffni, they are unusually late leaving - global warming or what?

MargaretM said:
At Hermitage saw a flock of about forty Jackdaws flying together, changing direction etc. They eventually made their way to where we were and we could see that they were harassing a Kestral ....

A kestrel quarters a stubble field near here every afternoon, when he shows up if there are any crows in the vicinity (rooks, jackdaws, grey crows) they immediately fly over and mob the kestrel, making the kestrel fly away, apparently in distress, calling out, crows in pursuit...a few times i have seen the kestrel stop in a tree, the crows fly on, but the kestrel continues calling, bringing them back...off goes the kestrel still calling and leading the now large flock of crows over the brow of the hill...10 minutes later the kestrel is back but this time can hunt in peace.

A few shots from west cork...the lesser yellowlegs was very cooperative.

Attachments

• lesser yellowlegs rosscarbury oct 06.jpg
    lesser yellowlegs rosscarbury oct 06.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 131
  • pied wagtail rosscarbury oct 06.jpg
    pied wagtail rosscarbury oct 06.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 120
  • robin cape sept 06.jpg
    robin cape sept 06.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 124
After a quiet start to the day there was plenty of activity at Lurgangreen this evening, including 7 whooper swans, around 80 greylag and 4 white fronted geese.

During the week saw some tree sparrows in a flock of mixed finches in Clogherhead.

Attachments

• wh front lgreen 221006.JPG
    wh front lgreen 221006.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
the forsters tern was seen again this morning at cruisetown strand.
Seabank had 6 ruff & 3 little egrets with a large flock of finchs,buntings (yellowhammers & reed buntings) & tree sparrows along the hedgerow & as Sandra has mentioned greylag geese & whooper swans (18 when i was there) at lurgangreen. 12 whoopers also at Rathcor (cooley)

Attachments

• ruff.jpg
    ruff.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 110
Great to see the ruff, 8 at seabank, 1 or 2 at lurgangreen and 3 at dundalk harbour on monday, also colour ringed black tailed godwits. Along cruisetown beach at least 40 dead guillemots, all skin and bones, one ringed. On clogher head flushed a few snipe, one maybe a jack snipe (rose silently from my feet and landed nearby, seemed small but i didn't get a proper look). At sea at least one slavonian grebe, hundreds of razorbills, seemingly unaffected whatever is killing the guillemots...

Attachments

• guillemots dead clogher 21 oct 06.jpg
    guillemots dead clogher 21 oct 06.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 116
  • black tailed godwit colour band seabank 21 oct 06.jpg
    black tailed godwit colour band seabank 21 oct 06.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 116
Saw my first redwing of the season conveniently on a bush just outside my sitting room window, it's been there for 2 days, only 10 feet from the window but very shy.

Attachments

• tn_redwing drogheda 271006.JPG
    tn_redwing drogheda 271006.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 126
Was out in Lordship looking for a house/Site and came across a field of Deer. There is 3 fields with about a total herd of 40-50. Anyway, these animals are dieing. There is about 8 dead that I can see, the rest are starving, lame and malnourished. It looks like they havnt been fed in weeks.
I rang the SPCA Louth branch and left a message, I then rang the Guards who didn't seem to care.
I'll go back up tomorrow and see if anything has changed. If anyone think they can track down the owner of them or assist the animals please do.
I can be contacted on 087 204 5369 if you want directions.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back