• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Last night i attended a public information/consultation meeting regarding a proposed wind farm in Dundalk bay. The planned development will be extensive: 25+ sq km, 50 turbines at 150 m in height each in a grid layout. The location is 5 km of cooley point and will be visible from Blackrock and much of Cooley/Dunaney. The installation will provide about 5% of current national electricity requirements. See www.orielwind.com. EIA is not yet complete and project is slated to start 2008 or so.

Last edited:
Saw the female lesser scaup at Knock lake outside Balbriggan today. It was in with a flock of tufted ducks and a female scaup and showing well.

Also saw the Lesser Scaup today, the very breezy and dull weather was less than ideal for photos, so that's my excuse for their poor quality!!

Attachments

• Scaup  Lesser Scaup at Balbriggan 1A Reduced.jpg
    Scaup Lesser Scaup at Balbriggan 1A Reduced.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
White Billed Diver reported at Hermitage today, not at the cul de sac in Dunany but at the Southern side of Salterstown. Checked both locations but nobody (to my knowledge) managed to see the bird. The Forsters Tern was seen feeding at Clogherhead today.

No sign of the white bill diver today (reported yesterday) despite an extensive search in the salterstown/hermitage area. lots of great northerns and in one scan counted 33 at salterstown. weather wasnt great for scoping but most of the divers were in close

Hadn't been out to Baltray beach for quite a while so took a quick trip out there. Large numbers of waders roosting, mainly golden plovers, knots, and 1000+ dunlins.

Bonxie off shelling hill yesterday - no petrels. Twenty-eight grey plover roosting together at cooley point on sunday - unusual to see so many together.

anyone see any merit in organising a xmas get together (an informal few drinks in a local pub)

Last edited:
Enda said:
anyone see any merit in organising a xmas get together (an informal few drinks in a local pub)
Yep sounds good. See what yous think is suitable and us south-Louthers can see if it's managable for us.

ardnasx1 said:
Yep sounds good. See what yous think is suitable and us south-Louthers can see if it's managable for us.
i supose thats the problem with these things, whats local for for me, isnt for sandra & margaret etc and reaching a compromise means travel for everyone
perhaps us northerners have been having it all our own way this last year (with the talks & slide shows i mean)and should travel a little south.But would this mean less people would be inclined to turn up(as i think the bulk of the the possible attendance would come from the north of the county) so has anyone got the answer out there., all opinions very welcome

Enda said:
i supose thats the problem with these things, whats local for for me, isnt for sandra & margaret etc and reaching a compromise means travel for everyone
perhaps us northerners have been having it all our own way this last year (with the talks & slide shows i mean)and should travel a little south.But would this mean less people would be inclined to turn up(as i think the bulk of the the possible attendance would come from the north of the county) so has anyone got the answer out there., all opinions very welcome
I don't think there's any perfect answer but I guess Dundalk is probably the most sensible, there'd be travel involved for some of us no matter where is picked. Just as well this county isn't any bigger! What does anyone else think?

Xmas drinks

ardnasx1 said:
I don't think there's any perfect answer but I guess Dundalk is probably the most sensible, there'd be travel involved for some of us no matter where is picked. Just as well this county isn't any bigger! What does anyone else think?

Xmas Drinks sound like a great idea, I live in Ardee so Drogheda or Dundalk is all the same. How about alternating towns each year. I am sure it would be possible to organise car sharing for you townies so only one or two of you would have to forgo alcohol.

We'll also have to work out when suits everyone. Any day except Tue 19th suits me.
(For what it's worth this coming Thurs would suit particularly well for me, Margaret and Tommy as we could probably get a lift that day)

ardnasx1 said:
We'll also have to work out when suits everyone. Any day except Tue 19th suits me.
(For what it's worth this coming Thurs would suit particularly well for me, Margaret and Tommy as we could probably get a lift that day)
Suits me - though anytime suits me - bars will be packed though (should be a pretty lively night at the spiritstore! - see http://www.spiritstore.ie/)...

Any good birds out there yesterday? I had a small flock of redpoll pause in my garden - otherwise very quiet along balaggan/whitestown/templetown...
Also has anyone checked the geese at stabannon/braganstown recently?

hows about leaving it to after xmas say the 28-29 dec the pubs might be a wee bit quieter this is only a suggestion what does everyone else think.
a 1st winter iceland gull was at clogherhead today and this dark eyed herring gull at cruisetown which raised hopes of caspian for a moment but im happy its a herring

Attachments

• ct2.jpg
    ct2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 111
  • ct3.jpg
    ct3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 114
Enda said:
hows about leaving it to after xmas say the 28-29 dec the pubs might be a wee bit quieter this is only a suggestion what does everyone else think.
a 1st winter iceland gull was at clogherhead today and this dark eyed herring gull at cruisetown which raised hopes of caspian for a moment but im happy its a herring
That sounds sensible if it's ok with everyone.

Saw the iceland gull, thanks Enda. Apart from that we'd a fairly quiet day, one blackcap in the Seabank area.

Checked the geese at Lurgangreen at high tide on Saturday and there was no sign of the barnacle or pinkfooted geese among them. There wasn't a great number there, a couple of weeks ago I'd noticed good influx there at high tide but it wasn't the case on Saturday.

Attachments

• iceland gull clogher 101206 (1).JPG
    iceland gull clogher 101206 (1).JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 127
  • iceland gull clogher 101206 (2).JPG
    iceland gull clogher 101206 (2).JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Enda said:
Yep, thats fine by me, even if we are missing a lively night in the Spirit Store this week!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back