• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (4 Viewers)

Here's some very poor record shots of the Redpolls at Rainton Meadows today.

Hi Gary,
The bird photographed in your first two pics is a very good candidate for an Arctic Redpoll. Newton Stringer took a series of pics of this bird and it shows an excellent set of features, quite convincing for Arctic.
From comparision of photos so far, there could easily be 3-4 different Arctics on site. With probably 50+ Mealys in the area (maybe even 70-80), its maybe not too remarkable.

Mark

Hi Gary,
The bird photographed in your first two pics is a very good candidate for an Arctic Redpoll. Newton Stringer took a series of pics of this bird and it shows an excellent set of features, quite convincing for Arctic.
From comparision of photos so far, there could easily be 3-4 different Arctics on site. With probably 50+ Mealys in the area (maybe even 70-80), its maybe not too remarkable.

Mark

Mark, thats why I posted those two photos. Newton stringer was standing next to me when he took his photos. We all had a bit of a discussion about it looking good for an Arctic.

Andrew, I wish I'd have had my camera out for the first Arctic, but I wanted to see the ID feature for myself rather than on my photos. But I'll just have to have another trip down when the weather is a bit brighter. :t:

Mark, thats why I posted those two photos. Newton stringer was standing next to me when he took his photos. We all had a bit of a discussion about it looking good for an Arctic.

Andrew, I wish I'd have had my camera out for the first Arctic, but I wanted to see the ID feature for myself rather than on my photos. But I'll just have to have another trip down when the weather is a bit brighter. :t:

nice bird for your #300 Gary :t:

im playing it cool & aim to mop all 5 Arctic up on the last day of the year
o:D

Went for a bit air this morning with my young assistant.
Despite the thaw, still very surprised at the ammount of bird song.
Several views of Kingfishers a little over 500m from home, further down a Water Rail fed openly at S'letch outfall.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/2010/12/cure-for-xmas-cabin-fever.html

nice bird for your #300 Gary :t:

im playing it cool & aim to mop all 5 Arctic up on the last day of the year
o:D

Went for a bit air this morning with my young assistant.
Despite the thaw, still very surprised at the ammount of bird song.
Several views of Kingfishers a little over 500m from home, further down a Water Rail fed openly at S'letch outfall.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/2010/12/cure-for-xmas-cabin-fever.html

Thanks Steve!

I think you could be right about 5 Arctic. :t:

Might see if I can get down tomorrow (To rainton) and try and pick up some defo. Arctic REdpolls- a bird from last time is down as 'possible' an I'll take my camera down too. Where abouts is the flock? I know they will be mobile but do they favour any areas? Thanks.

Another long session at Rainton Meadows today. This time found the large Redpoll flock, which consisted of at least 50-70 birds, most of which seemed to be Mealies, a handful of Lessers, and at least 3 birds which were strongly suggestive of Arctic, though not all features were seen to enable us to nail any with 100% certainty (perhaps being too cautious?)

Bird 1: pics 1 & 2

Bird 2: pics 3-5

Attachments

• DSCF9562.JPG
    DSCF9562.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF9563.JPG
    DSCF9563.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCF9608.JPG
    DSCF9608.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCF9609.JPG
    DSCF9609.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF9610.JPG
    DSCF9610.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Bird 3: 4 pics of same bird.

Mid afternoon, went for a walk around and missed a bird which had more of a 'wow factor' than any of these 3 birds, according to other observers who saw it.

Attachments

• DSCF9638.JPG
    DSCF9638.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF9639.JPG
    DSCF9639.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF9640.JPG
    DSCF9640.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 205
  • DSCF9641.JPG
    DSCF9641.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 324

Mid afternoon, went for a walk around and missed a bird which had more of a 'wow factor' than any of these 3 birds, according to other observers who saw it.

That has to be an Arctic Redpoll, unless anyone disagrees ofcourse. Look at the size of the white unmarked rump on that!!!
- Nice stubby bill
- White unmarked rump
- Flank streaking not to dense, resembles one of the first birds photographed. Probably the same individual?

Not sure about your other 2 birds above bird 3 though. Bird 1 looks very much like a Mealy to me.

Last edited:
Great day

Great day at Saltholme and (some of ) the surrounding area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Made the short journey down from Wearside to visit with the intention of ticking the LEOs but also hopefully the Bittern(s).
Got there at about 10.30 and met another couple of lads,1 from Whitburn with his bro in law who works with the BTO in the midlands/south I think he said.( sorry forgot your names !) and walked round with them.
Walked to the wildlife watchpoint where conveniently a water rail was giving great views very close to the hide,mallard,teal,coot and moorhen on the water,reed buntings,chaffinch,greenfinch,blue and great tits on the feeders.
Fieldfares,redwings and blackbirds on the copious amount of fruit deposited on the edge of the main pool as we passed.A call came out that a large brown bird had flopped into the reeds, Bittern ?, but no more could be seen .
Then reached the LEOs,2 on show,brilliant views which made the day ! Well worth the visit,superb opportunity to see them without literally them bating an eye lid !
Had a dodge down to Zinc Road and walked the beach south of Seaton Snook looking for the widely verbally reported flock of twites intermingled with snow buntings and a shore lark but missed out.
Popped along Greatham Creek to Seal Sands seeing 2 bar tailed godwits on the way,plenty of teal on the creek but only the odd redshank to accompany them.
A grey plover was clearly visible from the Long Drag hide on the creeks mudflats as was a couple of shovelor with the usual shelduck.
As I was leaving the car park south of Greatham Creek a couple with their 4 young children,close to dusk,stopped me asking if I knew where the seals may be seen ?.There were 27 that I had counted 5 mins earlier on the west side of the bridge on the creeks mud banks,result,1 very happpy family joyouslly skipped off to see them ! Made my day.
Sorry gone on a bit I guess,but the whole area and the reserve is a gem,a joy to be out and visit,we are very lucky to have it so close.

Last edited:
Saltholme.

Called to see the LEO's.
Apparently 2 had been on show, but by the time I arrived at the view point, only one was viewable and hardly moved during my visit. Not the best of weather, but better views than my previous visit.
Also 2 water rails on show at the wildlife watchpoint.

Attachments

• _MG_7149.jpg
    _MG_7149.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 88
  • _MG_7172.jpg
    _MG_7172.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_7274.jpg
    _MG_7274.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 110
  • _MG_7475.jpg
    _MG_7475.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 102
  • _MG_7686.jpg
    _MG_7686.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 101
Great day at Saltholme and (some of ) the surrounding area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Made the short journey down from Wearside to visit with the intention of ticking the LEOs but also hopefully the Bittern(s).
Got there at about 10.30 and met another couple of lads,1 from Whitburn with his bro in law .................................

I think I probably bumped into you a couple of times today at Saltholme and Zinc Works Road. The owls were nicely in the open today but no sign of the Bitterns when I was there. Around a dozen Twite were on the beach but they were feeding amongst the smaphire and seldom visible. There was little else down there today.

Attachments

• IMG_8615a.jpg
    IMG_8615a.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8692a.jpg
    IMG_8692a.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_8689a.jpg
    IMG_8689a.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 72
I'm probably relly wrong, but lloking at your birds I have some ideas on the IDs

Another long session at Rainton Meadows today. This time found the large Redpoll flock, which consisted of at least 50-70 birds, most of which seemed to be Mealies, a handful of Lessers, and at least 3 birds which were strongly suggestive of Arctic, though not all features were seen to enable us to nail any with 100% certainty (perhaps being too cautious?)

Bird 1: pics 1 & 2

Bird 2: pics 3-5

I think bird 1 is Mealy looking at the large thick streak on the undertail covert.
I'm not commenting on bird 2 as I cannot see anything that would make me think one way or the other- Mealy or Arctic.

For me this birds is Arctic looking at the large, unstreaked Rump, tiny beak and small amount of streaking on the flanks.

but that is my opinion and i'm not an expert at Redpoll ID

I think I probably bumped into you a couple of times today at Saltholme and Zinc Works Road. The owls were nicely in the open today but no sign of the Bitterns when I was there. Around a dozen Twite were on the beach but they were feeding amongst the smaphire and seldom visible. There was little else down there today.

Hi Ian,
I saw loads of people today who were very accomodating and helpfull,I guess you were one of them !
Pity I missed the bittern that was later reported on bird guides but I am sure more chances will come.
I posted recently about a scope and tried out those available at Saltholme today,the deal 2 (I think it was called at £330 ish) for the RSPB brand(made by viking?)tripod,zoom lens and scope looked good to me,very light (albeit for seconds !) but very clear concise view.Made me think a bit !

I'm probably relly wrong, but lloking at your birds I have some ideas on the IDs

I think bird 1 is Mealy looking at the large thick streak on the undertail covert.
I'm not commenting on bird 2 as I cannot see anything that would make me think one way or the other- Mealy or Arctic.

For me this birds is Arctic looking at the large, unstreaked Rump, tiny beak and small amount of streaking on the flanks.

but that is my opinion and i'm not an expert at Redpoll ID

Yes, I tend to agree with you and Andrew Kinghorn that bird 1 is probably Mealy, and bird 3 is most likely an Arctic. The general consensus on site was that the latter was a very good candidate for Arctic, though its under-tail coverts were not seen.

The jury is still out on the second bird, but unfortunately we didn't see either its rump or utc's, so it's likely to remain that way. My head says probably a pale Mealy, but if so, it just goes to show how pale and Arctic-like Mealies can be.

edit: the best area to view the redpolls today was from near the top of the hill, where part of the plantation near the path has been 'seeded', meaning finches are constantly dropping in to feed throughout the day.

Last edited:
Jason,

Thanks for that,living where I do in Ashbrooke,I regularly within a 1/2 mile of my cottage currently see the following,
Great,Long,Coal and Blue Tits,Greenfinch,Chaffinch,Mistle and Song Thrush,House and Hedge Sparrow,Starling,GW Woodpecker(every time in Backhouse Park),Pied Wagtail,Tawny Owls(who keep me awake at this time of year with their mating search-incessant!) and Kestrel,Carrion Crow,Rook and Jackdaw,Collared Dove and Wood Pigeon,Wren and Robin,etc.
I also know Long Eared Owl have been seen in Backhouse Park(not that long ago either so I keep looking !),as has a Barn Owl that regularly last summer frequented Sunderland Rugby Club(more commonly known as Ashbrooke Cricket Club on West Lawn).
I also saw a Kingfisher not long ago in Backhouse Park whilst occassional Nuthatches appear too.
Plus all the gulls in Winter together with Redwing,Fieldfare and greater numbers of Woodpigeon,Wrens and Robins etc.
In Summer Chiff Chaff,Willow Warbler,all wagtails (a hotspot is along the beck/burn/rivulet that arrives in Barbara Priestman School,through Thornhill School,Brookside Terrace,under Ashbroke Sports Club ( i.e.Sunderland Rugby Club and into backhouse Park). We live in a city with loads to see close by that I dont know yet but how much is on my doorstep still ?

Just a thought !
Whilst I know most ( I think) of us read the Durham,South Tyneside probably Cleveland and Northumberland forums thought best to add it to Durham too,as not looking for the old debate again but we all know(and its not my original area)that Sunderland is in County Durham !

Just a thought should we go for a Sunderland Borough ( Stevie Evans) help me out there please, 2011 year tick list ?

Last edited by Andy K : Today at 23:48.

Last edited:
end of year

Well thats another very enjoyable year of local patch birding.

A real flourish over the final 4-5 weeks resulting in a personal total of 165species seen on the patch, with good views of 2 of our Arctic Redpolls today.

Of these, 161 being "OFFH" - On Foot From Home.

with 178 species OFFH resulting from 1 visit to coast..... on our local 'bird race' - this being a 24hr, 42km walk in mid May !

Lots of highlights,
all 5 owls seen on New Years Day,
10 new local patch ticks for me during the year,
a late winter record of all 5 owl species seen in 37 minutes.
etc etc

Heres to 2011 B :)

Attachments

• Leo_31dec.gif
    Leo_31dec.gif
    204.5 KB · Views: 103
Called to see the LEO's.
Apparently 2 had been on show, but by the time I arrived at the view point, only one was viewable and hardly moved during my visit. Not the best of weather, but better views than my previous visit.
Also 2 water rails on show at the wildlife watchpoint.

Nice owl pics from Saltholme.

Thats an absolutely superb Leo image ( # 1 ) Ray -

cant say ive seen too many UK shots like this of winter roosting Long-eared Owl completely at ease

- Fat & dumpy with facial disc nicely squished.

The fact that its almost completely unobscured is a bonus - but where has the Light gone ! - gloomy enough on Tees-cide at best of times ;-)

Well done to RSPB for setting up that viewing opportunity - something we'd hoped to do on the NR at Rainton .......
Alas, still too many selfish pillocks about -
i reckon the Local Birding scene would probably be a lot better off if we still had steam train for these anoraks to spot. ;)

Cox green this morning

Had a walk along the Wear at Cox Green this morning.

Long tailed duck still showing well in the footbridge area,futher along just before the victorian viaduct there were 6 Goldeneyes in a group with 2 female Goosanders nearby.

There were 2 GS Woodpeckers having a drumming match too ! They repeatedly drummed for about 15 mins, they were only about 20 metres apart.Couple of things,is it not early for this behaviour and I take it that it is the males establishing/maintaining their territories ? |:S|

There were jays everywhere,saw 2 nuthatches and heard a number more too.

Nice owl pics from Saltholme.

Thats an absolutely superb Leo image ( # 1 ) Ray -

cant say ive seen too many UK shots like this of winter roosting Long-eared Owl completely at ease - Fat & dumpy with facial disc nicely squished.
The fact that its almost completely unobscured is a bonus - but where has the Light gone ! - gloomy enough on Tees-cide at best of times ;-)

Cheers Stevie.
As mentioned, the light was very poor + still very smoggy by the time I arrived.
Having managed to get to the view point which was about 80 to 100 yards from the owl, I hung around for a good 21/2 hours, hoping the light would improve, but It didn't. In that time the owl barely moved, apart from a bit preening, but It seemed well aware of the people viewing It.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back