• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Castle Lake, Bishop Middleham - am - Channel Wagtail, Blue-headed Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail c.12, White Wagtail and Pied Wagtail. Wheatear x8, Skylark x4, Meadow Pipit x2, Swallow x4. Lots of Sand Martins around.

Treecreeper x1, Long-tailed Tit x6, Blackcap x4, Linnet x8, Common Whitethoat x4, Tree Sparrow x6, Song thrush, Willow Warbler, Wren and Dunnock along lower access track.

Attachments

• IMG_8154a.jpg
    IMG_8154a.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8654ao.jpg
    IMG_8654ao.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8670aoo.jpg
    IMG_8670aoo.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_8712ao.jpg
    IMG_8712ao.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8144a.jpg
    IMG_8144a.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 57
RM Gull

In case Ray doesn't get a chance to post before he goes off to the Lakes I'll put some of my shots up of a gull we spotted from the freezer today.
At a bit of a distance and into the sun but maybe enough for one of the gull experts to ID.

Attachments

• rmgull1.jpg
    rmgull1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 81
  • rmgull2.jpg
    rmgull2.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 77
  • rmgull3.jpg
    rmgull3.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 83
  • rmgull4.jpg
    rmgull4.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
South Hetton this morning:

Plenty linnets, willow warbler, sedge warbler, wren, chiffchaff, swallows etc.

Attachments

• _MG_2886.jpg
    _MG_2886.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 46
  • _MG_2996.jpg
    _MG_2996.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 46
  • _MG_3037.jpg
    _MG_3037.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_3146.jpg
    _MG_3146.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_3241.jpg
    _MG_3241.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 55
Rainton Meadows on the afternoon:

Pretty much the usual, redshank, LR Plover, sand martins, swallow, cormorant etc and the gull that JBee mentioned.

Not sure about the wagtail - white or pied ?.

Attachments

• _MG_3381.jpg
    _MG_3381.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_3553.jpg
    _MG_3553.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 86
  • _MG_3651.jpg
    _MG_3651.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 55
  • _MG_3710.jpg
    _MG_3710.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 59
  • _MG_3733.jpg
    _MG_3733.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 46
Rainton Meadows on the afternoon:

Pretty much the usual, redshank, LR Plover, sand martins, swallow, cormorant etc and the gull that JBee mentioned.

Not sure about the wagtail - white or pied ?.

I'd say Pied Wagtail as the back looks too dark and mottled for White.

Not very good with Gulls so I'll leave that one - does look odd thuogh!

Deepdale Wood /Cragg pond
1 pair Pied Fly 1 pair Redstart, lots of Willow Warbler, Linnet and a small Tornado touched down 10 feet away on the pond going across it .

First fledgling of the year in the garden with a young Robin hopping around the garden.

Also a male Bullfinch back on the garden feeders.

Attachments

• IMG_9076a.jpg
    IMG_9076a.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_9047a.jpg
    IMG_9047a.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 50
I am planning on having a look to Bishop Middleham's Castle Lake this weekend.
Do I need to know how to tell the difference between Blue Headed and Channel Wagtail, or is it easy enough?

Matt

I am planning on having a look to Bishop Middleham's Castle Lake this weekend.
Do I need to know how to tell the difference between Blue Headed and Channel Wagtail, or is it easy enough?

Matt

Hi Matt, I certainly wouldn't say it was easy unless you can get prolonged views of either bird, as they are always on the move and quite often are hidden in long grass.
Have a look at Ian's excellent pictures here to compare the two.

http://www.teesmouthbc.com/forumtbc/index.php?board=10.0

As you can see the Blue-headed Wagtail has a darker blue-grey crown and a yellow throat, whereas the Channel Wag is a more pastel blue with a white throat. Both have calls the same as our Yellow Wagtail.

I thought I had it sussed until yesterday when another variation was seen, basically it had the crown colours of Blue-headed but with a white throat which extended to the upper breast (!). :'D

It's the pale grey crown of the Channel Wagtail which really stands out. The whole head looks almost white from a distance.

The Blue-headed Wagtail had a much darker head almost looking headless against the grass until you get the bins on it as opposed to shining like a beacon as with the other Yellow Wagtails.

I've seen what I thought were two Blue-headed there though the second one could easily be the variation Neil has seen as I didn't get close views of it.

I've been finding that if they're not in the sheep field south of the hide then it's worth checking the second fence line on the right along the farm track after the sewage works access. On a couple of morning visits they've been sitting on the fence between the 20th-30th posts catching flies and then landing in the crop fields and occasionally moving closer to the farm track sometimes coming to the nearest fence post. I just sat by the broken gate watching them.

The Blue-headed was keeping quite distant yesterday other than occasionally visiting the sheep field on the sides of the big dip where you can view the lake which is where I took the photos of it the other day.

Greta Bridge - am - Pied Flycatcher x3, Garden Warbler x2, Great Spotted Woodpecker x2, Dipper x1, Kestrel plus Buzzard, Jay, Blackcap, Willow Warbler & Chiffchaff.

Deepdale - Garden Warbler x4, Dipper x1, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Long-tailed Tit, Mistle Thrush. Plus rabbits and a stoat.

Tees Banks Woods - Common Sandpiper, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Pied Flycatcher x3, Common Redstart x3, Long-tailed Tit, Treecreeper, Mistle Thrush. Lots of Nuthatch around.

Attachments

• IMG_9841aa.jpg
    IMG_9841aa.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9437ao.jpg
    IMG_9437ao.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_9258a.jpg
    IMG_9258a.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9523a.jpg
    IMG_9523a.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0160a.jpg
    IMG_0160a.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 75
Rainton Meadows

Another post-work visit to Rainton Meadows with agamiheron, which started terribly with some unwelcome visitors:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mckivitt/5666763255/in/photostream

Not sure what can be done about this sort of thing, but they seemed young enough to respond to education. Do Wildlife Trust people ever visit the local schools to tell the kids what reserves are for and how to use them properly? Just a thought...

But once they decided to leave, it was a reasonably pleasant, if cold, evening. Highlights include reserve year ticks for me of sparrowhawk and greenfinch (big megas, eh?!), plenty of Grasshopper Warblers dotted around, 4 Little Ringed Plovers (almost some "action" in front of the freezer...), Little Owl, 4 Goosander flying over, and a cracking close up bounce-by of a Roe Deer. I was so entranced that I forgot to get the camera out, when I probably could have got a decent shot! Ho hum...

Yellow Wags at Bishop Middleham

These photos were from last monday and shows how confusing yellow wagtails can be and how their colour can vary so much.
There was one wag with an all yellow head and it was a paler yellow to the other wagtails and being chased off by the other yellows. It resembles a yellow headed wagtail - but is it?? - unlikely. Also saw what I believe is the Channel Wagtail there, but not the Blue Headed. It stayed some distance away and the photo is affected by the heat haze.

Attachments

• Yellow-Wagtail17.jpg
    Yellow-Wagtail17.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Yellow-Wagtail21.jpg
    Yellow-Wagtail21.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Channel-Wagtail.jpg
    Channel-Wagtail.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 93
Visit to Bollihope area - Swallow,Sand Martin,Lapwing,Wheatear, Oystercatcher,Curlew,Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail,Meadow Pipit,Mistle Thrush,Black Headed Gulls, Mallard,Red Grouse,Wood Pigeon,Starling. Did not see any Ring Ouzel but heard our first Cuckoo of the year.

Also popped over to Cow Green Reservoir - Oystercatcher,Mistle Thrush, Skylark, Golden Plover, Wheatear, Lapwing.

Attachments

• IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back