• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidaihe news (1 Viewer)

Gretchen

I thought it might be simpler to just start a thread to put local news, not so much of birds but of the birding locations.

I heard a month ago, but have not yet confirmed that Lianfeng Shan Park (I believe what folks call Lotus Hills) was due to close end of Oct. until May or so. They had a fire there last winter apparently and have decided it's too dry to let people in. Just wanted to warn anyone planning on time there. Of course, the info they gave was a little vague, so someone may go and find a way in. (The north gate has been renovated in the last year or two, and I wonder if it is now the "main" gate.)

As Shi Jin told me a while back ago, if you're going to be a regular there, take a photo and you can get an i.d. entrance for the whole year (for the cost of two visits).

I've said other places, but will repeat that the Qinhuangdao train station is closed. It could be reopening this winter, but there's no definite news on that yet. Best bet is to go into Beidaihe station. Longjiaying is on the other side of Qinhuangdao, so a bit distant, but also possible.

I would imagine that other localities will follow then Gretchen, as in the Great Wall and Old Peak. They were all 'officially' closed this Spring due to the high fire risk, in fact most forest 'reserves' in Hebei were. I can only see this getting worse due to the long term drought in the north east.
Thanks for the news. Keep your eyes peeled this week BTW, it's a 'traditionally' good period for the cranes and bustards.

Bustards! Just one would have been nice Mark. Must try harder. I've really missed my autumn visit. Looking forward to the posts Gretchen.

I haven't really provided particularly helpful local news for a while! The train station at Qinhuangdao is nearly done, and a few trains go there now. I think it is scheduled for completion this summer - at that time some trains which have been stopping at Beidaihe may change to QHD. Not sure though....

More broadly, I'm afraid I really won't be able to provide more local news as we've just relocated to North America, probably for a year or so. I'll of course be interested in keeping up with all that's going on in China birdwatching on these threads, and looking forward to being back there for more watching in the future.

Cheers to all!

Enjoy your new home Gretchen! Where will you be heading?

The good thing about BF is that you can plug in wherever you are.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks guys! I'm enjoying the snowy scenery of northern Lake Superior for the next few months, but the year should bring chances to squeeze in a bit of birding at various locales in the US.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back