• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare - Monday 19th July (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
Having heard that a Pectoral Sandpiper had been seen at Oare on Sunday afternoon, what better excuse was there to go this morning and stay for high tide - as if I needed an excuse!

Well, to cut a long story short - there was no Pectoral Sandpiper by 2pm when I left, but the wader list was pretty impressive:

400 Black Tailed Godwits in total, split roughly 50/50 between the two lagoons.

10 Ruff
110 Dunlin - most of these were on the west lagoon at 10:30am but soon all bar 10 flew towards Shellness and at high tide they didn't return.
4 Whimbrel on West lagoon at high tide, on shoreline at low tide.
4 Green Sandpipers
3 Common Sandpipers
2 Turnstone - East lagoon
Knot - 1 in summer plumage on East lagoon
2 Little Ringed Plovers - 1 on each lagoon
5 Little Egrets
4 Ruddy Ducks - East lagoon
2 Marsh Harriers
juvenile Yellow Wagtail in the scrub on the West lagoon

Not bad - although no Spotted Redshanks or Greenshanks to be found. In answer to a question posted in response to my Friday visit, all the Spotted Redshanks I've seen in the past week have been in their winter/non-breeding plumage, ie greyish looking with maybe a few black feathers on the breast.

Best wishes,
Lancey

I was there from midday today until 3:30. We must have seen each other! I was wearing my (old-style - sorry Steve) BF cap.

There was a spotted redshank on the East Lagoon at 15:00 and at least 1 greenshank. No sign on Pectoral Sandpiper.

Lancey,

Hope you don't mind me adding some piccies from today to your thread.

Ther are left to right
Little ringed plover, black-tailed godwit, ruff and whimbrel (sorry Woody).

Attachments

• lrp.jpg
    lrp.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 136
  • blackwit.jpg
    blackwit.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 109
  • ruff.jpg
    ruff.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 112
  • whimbrel.jpg
    whimbrel.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 124
Lancey said:
In answer to a question posted in response to my Friday visit, all the Spotted Redshanks I've seen in the past week have been in their winter/non-breeding plumage, ie greyish looking with maybe a few black feathers on the breast.

Best wishes,
Lancey

Thanks Lancey,

The combination of steady rain (and a crippling hangover!!) kept me from making the drive down to Oare on Sunday....

Hope to get there soon though...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back