• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeder action - three tit types (1 Viewer)

Neil Grubb

A feeding frenzy occurred today during which the local tits consumed an entire feeder full in around 90 minutes. I decided to try to capture pictures of all 3 common tits in flight; thank goodness for digital as I'd have used at least 5 rolls of film in the attempt! Most pictures were of empty space, out-of-focus birds, half birds, wing tips, or birds not in flight!

There are three flight paths to the feeder - from bushes left, hedge right, and trees back. I learned to look at these, not the feeder, and time the shutter button by snapping once the bird had launched toward the feeder. My reflexes were too poor to catch the birds as they came in, looking at the feeder!

Anyway two memory cards later and I got the three! Not perfect (great tit cropped out of frame, blue tit slightly poor focus) but good fun!!

Attachments

• Coal tit hovering.jpg
    Coal tit hovering.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 244
  • BlueTitFlight.jpg
    BlueTitFlight.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 227
  • GreatTitFlight.jpg
    GreatTitFlight.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 211
Neil Grubb said:
A feeding frenzy occurred today during which the local tits consumed an entire feeder full in around 90 minutes. I decided to try to capture pictures of all 3 common tits in flight; thank goodness for digital as I'd have used at least 5 rolls of film in the attempt! Most pictures were of empty space, out-of-focus birds, half birds, wing tips, or birds not in flight!

There are three flight paths to the feeder - from bushes left, hedge right, and trees back. I learned to look at these, not the feeder, and time the shutter button by snapping once the bird had launched toward the feeder. My reflexes were too poor to catch the birds as they came in, looking at the feeder!

Anyway two memory cards later and I got the three! Not perfect (great tit cropped out of frame, blue tit slightly poor focus) but good fun!!

What I really like on these picture is the facial expression of the blue tit on the coal tit picture. Its staring at the coal tit like it's never seen one before! ;) Nice pics.

I know how discouraging it can be to photograph multiple birds at feeders... I have a hard enough time with goldfinches, let alone tits and chickadees!

Great shots there, Neil.

I have notcied that if there is either a coal tit or great tit around, about 3 birds each, of the 3 species are there as well, which is always great to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back