• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex DLS, Habicht, Nikon SE, EL, Ultravid. (1 Viewer)

Zolarcon

Hi BF,

I got to try my friends Leica Ultravid 8x42 and the Swarovski EL 8.5x42. I had the Venturer 8x42 LX with me. In the car the SE sat during a mild downpour. After it cleared the SE outperformed all. But the SE focus is slow for warblers and the SE can't get wet or at least I am not brave enough to do it. I also still liked the Venturer optics better than the Ultravid and the EL. I did love the ergonomics and field of view of the Ultravid and the EL.

Zeiss FL, your days are numbered before I find you and put you with the rest of them beneath the SE.

Has anyone tried any of the Swarovski waterproof porro prism bins? Can they be better than the SE?

Someone at a popular US internet Bin Co. actually had the audacity to tell me that the new Vortex will optically outperform the SE. I laughed out loud. I asked the sales person are the Vortex better than the Nikon LXL? The person said NO but close. I said then they are not better than the SE. It's amazing they are surrounded by bins and don't know what they are seeing. That person's ideas on optics were price points. I miss BVD where maybe no one was trying to sell me something.

Good luck finding something better that can get wet,
Carlos

Robert Ellis said:
If you are curious, the DLS is based on the bin that was the BVD reference standard before the LX came along. (wink wink)

Sorry, but I don't understand what you are writing about?
Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back