• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Turkey Trip Report / 9-13 June 2015 (1 Viewer)

Superb report, thanks. Just read Jos's escapade! My God that is an amazing escape! How would we survive without Jos's trip reports if something untoward happened to him! Must be due another trip soon.

Phil

I just checked it in Google Earth. As the crow flies, from Birecik to Kobani is about 23 miles. From Birecik to the nearest point on the border is about 12 miles.

Apologies for slight miscalculation, please don't take offence at my point. Its important for people to understand just how close it is though.

Wonderful photos.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=246271&highlight=turkey

its all about attention to detail - it was Jos not barred wobbler but it was Birecik...

Ironically back then (in that thread) when I was enquiring (2012) the only concern was with PKK activity, which in fairness was largely unfounded.

I don't think anyone back then foresaw the rise of IS and the movement right up to the Turkish border. Many IS fighters came via or through Turkey - potentially putting western birders in contact with them. I think now the Battle of Kobani is finished the movement of fighters will have slowed right down, but it is still a very sensitive area surely.

Lets all hope it returns to its wonderful normal self in the not too distant future. I loved Turkey.

Again, apologies for the politics (which I feel bad about) when we all simply love birds. I look out all the time for bird reports from this area so thank you for posting this.

Ironically back then (in that thread) when I was enquiring (2012) the only concern was with PKK activity, which in fairness was largely unfounded.

I don't think anyone back then foresaw the rise of IS and the movement right up to the Turkish border. Many IS fighters came via or through Turkey - potentially putting western birders in contact with them. I think now the Battle of Kobani is finished the movement of fighters will have slowed right down, but it is still a very sensitive area surely.

Lets all hope it returns to its wonderful normal self in the not too distant future. I loved Turkey.

Again, apologies for the politics (which I feel bad about) when we all simply love birds. I look out all the time for bird reports from this area so thank you for posting this.

I'm afraid things have just kicked off in Kobani and nearby villages again (see BBC website today), there are suggestions that IS fighters have come back in from the Turkish side of the border, disguising themselves as returning refugees. So caution/avoidance of the border area for westerners is very much still the advice.

I think 'Barred Wobbler' had a lucky escape that way on so yes westerners have to exercise caution.

Personally, I will bird Turkey vicariously and enjoy reports such as these...

Wasn't me.

The only bit of Turkey I've visited so far is the south-west, though this trip report has me getting twitchy. I'd have had 15 lifers there.

EDIT: I see in later comments that it was Jos on his fascinating trip who was the escaper. :) Maybe in thirty or forty years time, when I'm looking forward to a telegram from the then current monarch, the area will be peaceable enough to visit. Or there again the borders may have hardened by then and it might be totally off-limits. The world is suddenly a mess.

Last edited:
I just checked it in Google Earth. As the crow flies, from Birecik to Kobani is about 23 miles. From Birecik to the nearest point on the border is about 12 miles.

I suppose only real larophiles must now look for Armenian Gull at the fish farm south of Birecik?

All the best

I think they also fly up and down the river at Birecik Paul, I certainly had one at least in a short river watch as I watched for little swift over the cliffs.

Congrats on the Fish Owl BTW.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back