• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where is the spring??? (1 Viewer)

Gaga

Hi everybody, i'd like to know how is going spring in the other provinces... Here in New Brunswick, it's like 8-10 days late compared to other years. Except few grackles and blackbirds, absolutely no migrants are arrived... even the earlier! (e.g. Fox Sparrow?).

Hi Gaga,

Glorious sunny day and +12° here, but I've read there's bad weather in Spain & southern France which is blocking migration. Not many summer visitors in yet, a scattering of Chiffchaffs, Wheatears and Sand Martins is about all

Michael

Spring is also very slow in arriving here this year. A great treat for me tho' was to open the blind this morning and see a lovely male junco running around my front lawn! I thought the purple finches would be here first but the junco beat them in migration! Unfortunately, the common redpolls don't seem to like him much and are constantly picking fights with him. Only other spring birds I've seen here this year are 2 starlings.
It's been cold and rainy/snowy here but yesterday's winds beat all. It was blowing so hard, the wind speed on my cheapy weathervane was maxed out! Luckily no bird fatalities from it, that I know of. Nasty but typical spring!

There aren't many signs of spring here either. I did hear the "peepers" last week, when we had a few unusually warm days, but my juncos and purple finches are still here. I have seen a grackle and heard some red-wing blackbirds though, but no sign of the rosebreasted grosbeaks.....maybe tomorrow.

Celeste said:
There aren't many signs of spring here either. I did hear the "peepers" last week, when we had a few unusually warm days, but my juncos and purple finches are still here. I have seen a grackle and heard some red-wing blackbirds though, but no sign of the rosebreasted grosbeaks.....maybe tomorrow.
I'm watching for the rb grosbeaks too but don't expect to see them for a while yet. Hopefully, I'll see more than last year.... only one male and female and neither one for very long. And they never returned in the fall either. :( Hope this year will be better for them.
You can let you juncos and purple finches know there's lots of food at my place for them..... I'm waiting!!! ;)

Finally, the first bunch of migrants arrived yesterday. This morning, I heard my first Song Sparrow of the season. Moreover, there was few American Robins with a pair of Canada Goose in front of the campus... wouhou!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back