• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on old Swifts? (1 Viewer)

Red_Shoulder

Most of the 7x50 Aerolite 737's seem to be the 737H but these are much different. At least the exterior is. More like a 60's-70's or so binocular. Would like to get more information on them.

While I doubt that they were top of the line, the view is nice. Unfortunately no Nikon SE or Audobons for comparison. Feel free to send me yours :D

20150128_211043_1-1.jpg

Last edited:
The Aerolite is the budget Swift porro binocular. While the Aerolite is nothing fancy, it does, as you point out, have a pretty good view.

In its day, Swift was a superb Optical company. It has fallen on hard times and is but a shell of what it once was.

There is a collector interest in the older Swift binoculars and there are many excellent designs to be had for not a lot of money. A lot of those older Swifts (and some others) stand up a lot better than many will realize to more modern designs.

I like old Swift binoculars, which ones are still good performers? Also, any idea what year my 737's were made?

If they were made in the days of the Japan Telescope Inspection Institute (JTII), maybe. If that is the case, there will be (usually on the objective end of the center hinge) either/or a J-B/J-E #. The J will be tilted back. Those numbers will indicate who made the binocular for Swift. Swift once extensively incorporated the year of the manufacture into the serial number of the binocular. If that practice was still in place when your Aerolite was made, I don't know, but it was still used on the Model 804 into the 90"s. You might check for the J numbers and post the serial number.

The Original 804 Audubon's are still very good and collectible. The Holiday, Neptune, Kestrel and some others are pretty good. I have the Nighthawk #771 which was the first binocular I bought in 1969 which is still quite good, and is maybe below some of the Swifts.

I'd love to have some Audobons. Are the Night hawks pretty good? Below the Audobon, I suppose, but that's true of a lot of binoculars :)

Ok, I've got. J-B 32 and S1159

JT-II , with 110 (and maybe another number? ) above Passed

Last edited:
Well, we know it was made by Miyako Seiki Co. LTD, that it passed JTII, and that it was probably made for the European market--note the comma after the power.

Ed Huff (elkcub) could probabply tell you all you would want to know. It predates any I've seen; I started working with them in 1987. It looks 60s to me.

Bill

Last edited:
Yeah I keep hoping elkcub will show up. I've been reading several threads on these, there are some really knowledgeable people here. That's true, they use the comma in Europe more.

How far back of the Audobons are these? Are they considered a decent birding binocular?

Yeah I keep hoping elkcub will show up. I've been reading several threads on these, there are some really knowledgeable people here. That's true, they use the comma in Europe more.

How far back of the Audobons are these? Are they considered a decent birding binocular?

The Aerolites I'm familiar with (1987-2008) were chum for a plastic eating shark. Please realize not long after Humphrey Swift died his daughter Allison took over and first rearranged the company and then sold it.

The name is still out there, and it carries the same logo. However, those who think it's the same company . . . SHOULDN'T!

Attached is a photo of the last three Audubons--all called Audubon, all with the same aperture, all with the same magnification, all with the same model number. BUT: all different!

Bill

Attachments

• IMGP1427.jpg
    IMGP1427.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
A plastic eating shark would hate my Aerolites, they're pretty solid. I'd probably take the ones on the left, which would you say are the best? I like the metal body, don't really like the new as much

A plastic eating shark would hate my Aerolites, they're pretty solid. I'd probably take the ones on the left, which would you say are the best? I like the metal body, don't really like the new as much

All those in the photo are AUDUBONS not AEROLITES. Yes, yours looked pretty beefy; that's why I said they looked to me like the were from the 60s. Those from my time were definitely disposable. The most plasticy parts were the bridges; they weren't even GOOD plastic for an optical instrument.

I miss Swift as a company. As far as I am concerned, the company that now has the logo is quite far from being . . . SWIFT.

Bill

I'd love to have some Audobons. Are the Night hawks pretty good? Below the Audobon, I suppose, but that's true of a lot of binoculars :)

Ok, I've got. J-B 32 and S1159

JT-II , with 110 (and maybe another number? ) above Passed

The Night Hawks varied, but most were very good.
The Swift 7x35 Nighthawk is one of the best 11-degree designs.
There are a number of clones with other names, most with a lesser focuser
design. The Ward's clone, strangely enough, has even the precision
focuser piston and hard arms, but a naugahyde jacket....sort of like
Einstein in Tom Jones' leisure suit. Same wonderful thing, though.
To look for quality in a Nighthawk look for the thick stainless piston and the
heavy solid arms.

The Saratoga line is a bit better than Aerolites, but the 8x30s is
great mechanics and a cool eyecup with very plain optics.

The Vega line is awesome. Very flat, saturated views, to run alongside
designs like the Kowa Prominar.

And...of course, the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 is a legend, in comments
and in real measurements. Was a real kick in the pants to fancier makes.
It still is, for that matter, especially on a hazy day.

Last edited:
I like old Swift binoculars, which ones are still good performers?

Hi, I have the gold band Audubon and the HR, love them both, if you like Swifts, and don't mind a big heavy beast, look out for the Storm King MK11 7X50, fully multi coated, waterproof, I understand it was the most expensive binocular in the line up back in the day, the Audubon came second, super bright images.

Attachments

• SWIFT-STORM-KING-MK11-7X50.JPG
    SWIFT-STORM-KING-MK11-7X50.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 230

Hi Red Shoulder,

I'll give you a little background. Aerolite was an economy series that first appeared in 1969. I've attached a copy of the first catalog pictures below. It increased to four models by 1974, with the addition of the 736 10x50. In 1975 it was the same lineup. By 1981 there were five Aerolites, and the 736 10x50 now had rubber eyecups. The 737 didn't. Up until then the eyecups were all phenolic. Aerolites also retained a star on the left cover plate. By 2000 the series was gone, but the name was retained an a 737H Armored Aerolite packaged among no less than six (count 'em, six) different marine 7x50 binoculars, all with about the same FOV. [Bill, I'm sure knows about that fantastic assortment.] My most recent 2006 catalog shows the emergence of a "Swift Aerolite Collection" with four models, but not the Model 737.

Anyway, because of their rubber eyecups I would have to place your Model 737 after 1981, but before Chief Cook arrived on the scene. Considering how long the series lasted it apparently was a good, solid performer and a market survivor.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Attachments

• Aerolite Series-1.jpg
    Aerolite Series-1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Thanks Ed, I guess it would be between 81and '87? Do the serial numbers matter? Would like to figure out those. When did Chief Cook arrive?

They are good performers and the mechanics are nice. Like a lot of older binoculars, they have fungus, quite a bit on the right side :( but I'm not sure fungus hurts resolution really, and it's not picking up flare too much. Tempted to clean them but they still work fine.

The Night Hawks varied, but most were very good.
The Swift 7x35 Nighthawk is one of the best 11-degree designs.
There are a number of clones with other names, most with a lesser focuser
design. The Ward's clone, strangely enough, has even the precision
focuser piston and hard arms, but a naugahyde jacket....sort of like
Einstein in Tom Jones' leisure suit. Same wonderful thing, though.
To look for quality in a Nighthawk look for the thick stainless piston and the
heavy solid arms.

The Saratoga line is a bit better than Aerolites, but the 8x30s is
great mechanics and a cool eyecup with very plain optics.

The Vega line is awesome. Very flat, saturated views, to run alongside
designs like the Kowa Prominar.

And...of course, the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 is a legend, in comments
and in real measurements. Was a real kick in the pants to fancier makes.
It still is, for that matter, especially on a hazy day.

I just picked up a new pair of Montgomery Ward 7x35's!

20150201_125008-3.jpg

They don't have the same oculars as the Swifts and some of the other Montgomery ward binoculars, though, and it's probably more like 8-9° unless you put one eye next to the ocular. Probably cheapened up focuser too, view is good in the center, though. Hoping to find a pair of good oculars.

Is it really 11° on the nighthawk? That would be COOL

Hi, I have the gold band Audubon and the HR, love them both, if you like Swifts, and don't mind a big heavy beast, look out for the Storm King MK11 7X50, fully multi coated, waterproof, I understand it was the most expensive binocular in the line up back in the day, the Audubon came second, super bright images.

I've been using 7x50's happily, hopefully I can get a pair of those at some point.

I just picked up a new pair of Montgomery Ward 7x35's!

View attachment 531191

They don't have the same oculars as the Swifts and some of the other Montgomery ward binoculars, though, and it's probably more like 8-9° unless you put one eye next to the ocular. Probably cheapened up focuser too, view is good in the center, though. Hoping to find a pair of good oculars.

Is it really 11° on the nighthawk? That would be COOL

I happen to have the exact same binocular. Mine matches exactly with the stated field of view. Pretty decent binocular. My Nighthawk is an 8x40 and as much as I can compare 7x on one hand and 8x 0n the other, I'd say the Nighthawk is maybe a touch better. The Nighthawk likely matches the stated fov.

Wait a minute, mine are a bit different. They have an 11.8* fov and are 67-7038. Otherwise they look the same from what I can tell. Mine have BAK-4 prisms.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back