• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia April 2015 - Andes, Santa Marta, Mitu (1 Viewer)

Not I, that's for sure! Rio Blanco sounds like a fantastic place!

But then, there's no birding like Andean birding, in my experience, nothing to match it in the world...

I think your right Peter the birding is amazing and the views bar just a handfull have been good. This is supposed to be out of season, whatever that means.

Dave, maybe No 2 but no way with the first one. Sounds excellent, if 400 now what are you going to end on. Beat my Kenya of 610? Phil

Day 7 (after we had finilised our logistics back in late summer 2014, Chris emailed us to ask if we had any problem with a change of hotel to make a good start to a days birding on the Paramo.... 3500 mtrs! No problem we said).

We drove to hotel Del Ruiz on the evening of day 6 and I started to feel a little sick, no problem straight off to bed. Struggled to sleep with breathing problems so definatly was feeling altitude sickness. Well in the morning we drove to the Paramo at 4170 mtrs and felt proper poorly. Jose, Noah and Jeff all seemed Ok! It was bitterly cold, as cold as I can remember. Anyway new birds started to arrive with Strong Billed Conclodes, Sedge Wren, Briwn backed chat-tyrant and 3 Black chested Buzzard Eagles... Nice start. We parked up at a car park where volcanic plumes of smoke passed us on the valley below, more birds, Plumbeous Sierra Finch, Veridian Metalail and white chinned Thistle-tail, Tawny Antpitta then wham the trip bird was got.... I had to call Jeff away from photographing the Antpitta..... because we had a mega!

I have been really laid back about what I wanted or expected to see in Colombia but I have secretly craved seeing the Buffy Helmetcrest! Today we got it!!! Yahoo, it flew over Noah's head and perched a few feet away. I have some photos which seem ok on the back of the camera I pray they come out ok when I am home.

I will post some more later but gotta go owling... It's tough here

Last edited:
The morning warmed up so much so that a t-shirt was ok, we birdied along a road that brought us a Sharp Shinned Hawk, Noah wasn't excited as I was as he gets them on the backyard. We all enjoyed the Scarlet bellied Mountain tanager and some Paramo Seedeaters. We thought we had missed the chance to see the Rufous fronted Parakeet early in the morning but we heard them way off and high in a forest high above us. Jose played the tape in hope rather than expectation and Wow, 7 came steaming down over our heads. They landed somewhere in front of us and Jose ran the other way to get his camera from the truck while Noah, Jeff and myself ran to find them all sat on a farm roof. Brilliant chance for images, but Jose missed it all by a few seconds! Lesson learned Jose!

We spent the rest of the morning birding the grounds of the hotel where we picked up Andean tit-spine tail, Mountain Velvetbreast, Buff winged Starfrontlet, Golden breasted puffleg, one that pleased Noah was Black thighed Puffleg, an amazing Rainbow bearded Thorntail and incredibly a Paramo Tapiculo.

To end an incredible day we got down to a few feet Sword-billed Hummingbird..... Flippin eck if it wasn't for the Buffy Helmetcrest this would have been the bird of the day.

Just before we left for the airport we picked up a Grey breasted mountain toucan... A lifer for Jose too.

Alas it was the day to say goodbye to Noah Stryker. I feel slightly privalaged to have been part of his world record attempt big year but more importantly was happy to bird with a good guy.

We catch a plane out of the Andes into the Coastal range of Sierra Nevada.

I guess that the dizzy heights of Danebower will never feel the same again! All sounds brilliant and am looking forward to hearing about it. Get the feeling from your report that this is your best trip to date.

Phil

where you said White-tailed Hillstar, you can now say Rufous-gaped Hillstar ;-)
So when you see a real White-tailed Hillstar, you can add one to the list :)

Come great birds

Some great birds so far, look forward to seeing some of the photos.
I hope the altitude sickness passes, we found cocoa leave tea helped in Peru and Ecuador at this sort of elevation.

Day 8
We had a comfortable night at the Hilton in Barranquilla and were now with our new guide Gabo Ubria. An early start for Isla Salamanca where the key birds were Saphire Throated and Saphire Bellied Hummingbirds. We soon picked them up and were able to amble around the board walks by the dried mangrove lakes and picked up a stunning breeding Spotted Sandpiper. Easy birding with Bicolored Conebills, Panama flycatcher, yellow chinned Spinetails, Black crested Antshrikes amongst plenty of others. Gabo drove us to his " secret" spot for Northern Screamer, alas we missed it but got tonnes of water birds, Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, more Herons and Egrets than you can imagine, white and Glossy Ibis, Sandwich Tern, Snail kite, Lsser Yellow headed Vultures, water and Cattle tyrants, Black Collared Hawk and a fine looking Spot breasted Woodpecker. By 09.30 we had seen 80 species! We now headed towards Minca stopping at potential hot spots along the way, one such stop we saw the lovely Rose breasted Grosbeak, Ochre bellied Flycatcher, Long Billed Starfrontlet, Purple Honeycreeper, black whiskers Vireo and the usual Tanagers.... Wow.
Further along the road we booked into our accomadation at Sierra Sound right on the riverside. Superb food then more birds, Scalled Piculet, White Bearded Manakin, Mourning warbler, Piratic Flycatcher and Sepia Capped Flycatcher..... 121 day birds (100 new for the trip).

Gabo hears things that are out of my hearing range, I often said to Jeff " how on earth did he hear that"

Exceptional days birding.

Day 9
Today we were going to bird along the minca to ElDorado road and we had a new vehicle and driver, Pedro. We had been whofully short of Hermit so it was nice to see two species in the hotel garden before we left, Rufous Breasted and Pale Bellied. We saw our first Toucan family with a Collared Aracari. The pretty Rufous Capped Warer seemed to be the default bird following us up the road while we picked up plenty of skulkers .. Rufous and white Wren, Rufous Breasted Wren, White Bearded Manakin. As we reached some open areas that allowed better viewing we saw one on the lower elevation area targets, Golden Winged Sparrow, a pair sitting up for a few seconds before disappearing, we would see a few more over the next hours walk. Yellow billed Cuckoo ( no twitch for this fella) Black Striped Sparrow, Sooty headed and Yellow Crowned Tyrannulet, yellow Bellied and Lesser Elanias and Yellow backed Orials. As we gained height and neared El Dorado we picked up our first Santa Marta endemics. Tapaculo, Brush-finch, Antbirds and Foilage-gleaner. Throw in a Rusty Breasted Antpitta for good luck.

Next was a garden that held two more endemics with Blossomcrown and Santa Marta Woodstar. We got the Blossomcrown only. We added Rusty Flowerpiecer in the same garden. Next stop El dorado lodge.

Hummingbird feeders were buzzing with absolute stunners... Crowned Woodnympyh, Sparkling Violetear and the impressive White Tailed Starfrontlet.

A quick walk before dinner Masked Trogan, Band tailed guan, Santa Marta Toucanet, GOlden Breasted FRuiteater and two Black fronted Wood-Quail - brilliant birds.

We passed 400 species seen as we sat down for a beer!

Last edited:
Day 10:

Another very early start as we had a drive to San Lorenzo ridge area to try for the remaining endemics (most of them anyway). It turned out to be a bit of a dawn bonanza as we quickly picked up the lovely Santa Marta Warbler... Smart bird. Santa Marta Bush-Tyrant, Foilage Gleaner,mountain Tanager and Toucanet, add Flamulated Treerunner, Mountain Velvetbreast, Rusty headed and Streak Capped Spinetails it had the feeling of a good day ahead. It was a very warm day and as the birding slowed down we were fortunate to see a Nine-banded Armadillo.
Other birds followed as we dropped to slightly lower elevations, White-throated and Black-capped Tyrannulets and brilliant close views of a pair of of White Tipped Quetzel.
Late afternoon and we birded around the lodge, we found a Slate Throated Whitestart nest with 2 chicks then soon after Gabo got sight of a Grey Tinamou on the track- bast@rd! (Sorry Gabo only kidding!) we were ten paces behind and missed it.... Stick closer to the guide eh. However all was not lost as we all picked up a Black & Chestnut eagle soaring over Eldorado, happy ending.

We did miss a few targets, Brown Tapaculo and Santa Marta Antpitta, we only heard the Screech Owl, and tomorrow we try once more for the Santa Marta Woodstar.

The night passed uneventful for me as I slept through a 3.5 earthquake which we were fairly close to the epicentre.... It had been a tiring day or I had too many beers celebrating the Eagle over the lodge!

We head for Tyrona NP tomorrow.

Last edited:
Day 11:
A bit of a lie in for breakfast as we wanted some light to try and find the Santa Marta Woodstar in a garden only 20 mins down the road. While eating breakfast it was good to see the incredible amount of weird and wonderful moths of all sizes both inside and outside the windows. I guess plenty is species never recorded. We said goodbye to the wonderful Hummer feeders. Good news, we picked up the Blossomcrown again, bad news no Woodstar. Gabo spotted a mega rarity in the garden with a Venezuelan Tyranulet that Gabo needs my image of for submitting purposes, a pair of Groove billed Toucanets that confuse me as they look nothing like the ones I saw in Venezuela a few years ago. Scarlet Tanager and Rose breasted Grosbeak ensured this stop was more than worthwhile. We birded at hotspots along the way to Tyrona picking up loads. Orange billed Nightingale Thrush, laughing falcon, Lance Tailed Manakins and Keel billed Toucans being my favs!

We got an Empidonux sp of flycatcher that Gabo was confused by so I will need help from my images for Id.

A great days birding even with the travel time.

Wonderful trip report!
Just hope you don't catch Strykeritis, the urge to sum up a great day birding in 200 words or less.
It would be great if you could add a Colombia for Dummies postscript detailing the logistics of your trip and contacts.

Day 12
Tyrona NP doesn't open until 8am so be spent time across from the hotel at the river where we picked up 32 species on less than an hour, nothing new for the tri but a lovely spot to kill time. It's a bit of a palaver to get into the NP but I get the reasoning behind it. Everyone has to sit and watch a video explaining all about the indigenous people, the geology of the landscape, the flora and fauna etc, maybe the Rspb should do something similar at their flagship reserves that are attracting families.
Anyway to the birding.... We picked up our only Yellow crowned night herons of the trip sat high up in some palms close to the park gates, plenty of Panama flycatchers and mixed Tanagers. A Drive further into the forest we parked and picked up another first and last trip sighting of a Crane Hawk which perched in the same tree for over 2 hours. Black crowned Antshrikes posed well and loads of Lance tailed Manakins. We had heard Cocoa Woodcreepers at a few spots but now we were treated to a party of three close up. Red Howler monkies for prevelant here as were the Indiginous people who were freindly and attempted to sight the birds in the canopy. The rest of the time in the park didn't produce anything new so we made our way to Riohacha for our overnight stay nr Los Flamencos. On the way Gabo stopped at yet anothe of his "secret" spots. Trinidad Euphonia was a target as was Glaucaus Tanager and they both duly obliged as did a very smart Black Headed Tody flycatcher. Again loads more species here, Harris Hawk, Vermillion Flycatcher, Brown throated Parakeets, Rufous vented Chachalaca, Green Rumped Parotlets and Red billed Emerald.
Just to cap things off Gabo knew a guaranteed place for Double stripped Thicknee.... We neednt have got out of the car for these apart from the urge to take too many photos... Happy days.

Another great day with 41 species alone in 60 minutes in Gabos secret spot

Last edited:
Day 13
We met a local guide early morning for the areas around LosFlamencos, he dualy obliged by getting us onto some lovely birds. First up was a scrubby patch of land just off the main road 20 minutes outside Riohacha. 3 Orinoco Saltators, a smart bird. Slender billed Inezia, Pilated Finch, Red billed Emerald and White Whiskerd Spinetails. However we were really after target #1- and we got at least 5 individuals of the brilliant Vermillion Cardinal. They were a little flighty but gave stunning views nonetheless. Chestnut Piculet and Brown crested Flycathers amongst some more regular birds made it a brilliant spot.
We moved on to a spot to look for Tocuyo sparrow which eventually gave the briefest but good views before flying off not to be seen again, we made up for it with a gathering of no less than 8 Crested Bobwhites.
Next stop Los Flamencos. Not surprisingly the American Flamingo are in good numbers. A Harris Hawk sat on a sandbank while Least Sandpipers, Reddish Egrets, Snowy Egrets and a single American Oystercatcher waded in what little water was available, it has been a very dry season with no rain since December. 3 Yellowbilled Tern, 1 Royal Tern and a single Magnificant Frigatbird were the only Seafaring birds but to make my day a single Black Skimmer came in close and sat just opposite us on a Sandbank.... A great personal moment, what a bird.
The last highlight of the day was stopping a local goat herders dog catching a Crab eating Racoon... Waving one arm frantically at the dog white running trying to take picture of the Racoon isnt easy... The Racoon got away!
We missed the Buffy Hummingbird as there were just no flowers. Another good day. Now we travel back to Santa Marta for an afternoon flight back to Bogota. Great airport situated meters from the sea. Next stop Amazonian Colombia.... Mitu here we come

Last edited:
I recall seeing Venezuelan Tyrannulet on the way down to Minca from El Dorado. I didn't know it was a rarity!
Same place we saw Trinidad Euphonia.

Glaucous Tanager is/was fairly common around Los Flamencos as I remember. Good birding in Mitu! The number of species will probably blow you away!

I recall seeing Venezuelan Tyrannulet on the way down to Minca from El Dorado. I didn't know it was a rarity!
Same place we saw Trinidad Euphonia.

Glaucous Tanager is/was fairly common around Los Flamencos as I remember. Good birding in Mitu! The number of species will probably blow you away!

First point very interesting as our guide got quite elated about it... I will follow it up anyway.

Second point was a personal highlight for Jeff and myself as we had missed them in Venezuela a few years ago, but yes this area more than made up for it :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back