• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weird Geese (1 Viewer)

Today I was went to a small pond in a nearby subdivision to see a local Great Egret that hangs out there. I spotted him... but then something strange happened.

I spotted a Great Blue Heron on the other side of the pond, so I wanted a better look (I didn't bring binoculars). While I was watching the egret, some geese near the heron decided to cross the pond and were swimming along, so once I got to the good spot to watch the heron... the geese were coming out of the water. They came right up to me and started to bow their heads. It seemed like an act of hostility because they were hissing a bit, but after a while they just started eating around me, about 2-3 feet away from me.

The thing that I thought was weird is that they led their little juvenile geese over to me as well, and they showed little fear of me, just following their parents. I thought this was really strange that the parents would just waltz right up to me like that.

The weirdest part was that two other geese families did the same thing! The juveniles were right up to me, checking me out from that 3 feet safety distance. After a while the parents stopped hissing and started eating.

I've never seen geese act like this ever! Usually geese just swim away from me when I move around a pond, but they actually seemed to be attracted to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back