• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Need to identify bird seen (1 Viewer)

Char11579

:h?:We are looking for help identifying a bird that we saw in our yard.
We live in Northwestern ontario and at this time of the year we usually only see Common Ravens, the occasional Jay, Chicadees and Woodpeckers.
The bird that we are trying to identify has been seen for about 3 weeks now. It looks like a Raven but the only thing on it that is black is the wings and head.
:h?:
PS I Am atempting to get a picture to post for better identification purposes, I will post it as soon as the bird is seen again.

Last edited:
Could also be a partial leucustic (sorry for bad spelling) crow/raven. (IE a bird that has a genetic defect in it's genes affecting the colouration(pigment) of certain parts of the body)

In terms of shape-size:Does it look identical to the other crows/ravens you get in the yard and the only thing that's strange was the white colour?

Happy New Year

Dimitris

Yes, it is identical to the common black ravens, except for the white body. Since it was standing next to a common raven, it was easy to compare the two, they were so close together that if you couldn't see the body colour you would swear it was a raven.
My 10 year old is really interested in figuring out what type of bird it is because she was in school the first couple of times it was spotted and would love to be able to go back to school and tell the kids she saw a different type of bird then we normally see around here.
Thanks for the replys and keep 'em comming, i get on her about 1ce or twice a week to check them.
Thanks again for the help
C

Sounds most likely that it is a leucistic (partial albino) Raven. The other possibility is a slightly out of range Black-billed Magpie. This is a fairly large bird and has the very white body with black head/back/tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back