• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where have all the starlings gone (1 Viewer)

bobwoodcock said:
The starlings seem to be still around in the North of England but not in the South?
I'm in Essex and still have plenty - not as many as a few weeks ago admittedly but there is no shortage!

Here in South East Kent I suppose I see on average about 20 starlings each time they decide to make a visit. Most are youngsters, showing off their fine adult plumage through the bumphluph (!) and learning the skills of fighting off the opposition! Some noise they make as they bully their way through to the peanut feeders and fat balls, making sure the great tits and the blue tits get out of the way, smartish!

Not too many adults right now though.

judge9847 said:
Here in South East Kent I suppose I see on average about 20 starlings each time they decide to make a visit. Most are youngsters, showing off their fine adult plumage through the bumphluph (!) and learning the skills of fighting off the opposition! Some noise they make as they bully their way through to the peanut feeders and fat balls, making sure the great tits and the blue tits get out of the way, smartish!

Not too many adults right now though.

Funnily enough there were 25 this morning................. :clap:

This year I have hardly seen any starlings in my garden. Usually there are loads of them. Its a shame because I really like starlings - great fun watching them splashing around in the bird bath and I love watching the hoards of young that normally appear around this time of year. Not seen a single juvenile this year though. It may be my own fault though because most, although not all, of my feeders have squirrel proof cages and these seem to restrict access to starlings too. So maybe that's the answer!

Tp I will send you some of mine.They are noisy,dirty ,they squabble and devour fat balls by the dozen and scatter seed from the feeder all over the yard.

christineredgate said:
They are noisy,dirty ,they squabble and devour fat balls by the dozen and scatter seed from the feeder all over the yard.

Great fun to watch though, at the moment I only have one juvenile coming daily and what a stroppy git he is!!!!

Mick

I remember about 20 years ago there use to be a massive flock of Starlings around the Three Tuns area in Slough , Berks , the post breeding winter roost numbered about 25,000 birds , and thats a conservitive estimate . The sky would go black and noisy as they wheeled round , eventually using the warmth of Slough trading estate as a final resting place but still chattering all night . Just don't see sights like that any more !

Ashley

christineredgate said:
Tp I will send you some of mine.They are noisy,dirty ,they squabble and devour fat balls by the dozen and scatter seed from the feeder all over the yard.
We'll have to arrange it!!

Seriously though, House sparrows in my area have all but disappeared over recent years and I've seen 2 in the last couple of months. :(

tp20uk said:
the starlings here keep disappearing, and the house sparrows!
Starlings & house sparrows well up this year i think they must have had at least 5 broods this season, with the amount of young still about.:bounce: It's good to see these birds that were in such decline, having a good year:t:
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back