• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Just had to let everyone know, for the last 15 minutes a young male Sparrowhawk has been sitting on my birdtable looking straight at me through the window (can they see through glass?).

Unbeliavably a small fieldmouse was searching out leftover bird seed on the concrete in front of the window. the Hawk never moved. He then flew onto the hedge against the window had a good look at me while he paddled with his feet (nobody in hedge) so he flew off gracefully across the garden and away.

I feel so honoured, I know that not everyone likes Birds of Prey, but I do it was fabulous.

Ann

Last edited:
Hi Ann, yep they are a sight to behold, even better as you say close up, we tend to get a visit most day's, somtimes they get a bird somtimes nothing, but thats all part and parcel of nature.
bert.

Thanks Bert, some people think I am callous (have I spelt it right?). I love watching Birds of Prey hunt, after all they have to eat too. Do you think the mouse was too small for it, I am sure it knew it was there .

It made my day special. I was worrying about the Hawks hadn't seen any around for a while (just hoped someone hadn't got rid of them permanently. there are some nasty folk about).

Love reading your posts you have more variety of birds than I do. Haven't seen anthying today and my Blackbird has been missing for a few days (think he is on his hols. moulting).

Ann

A CHAPLIN said:
Thanks Bert, some people think I am callous (have I spelt it right?). I love watching Birds of Prey hunt, after all they have to eat too. Do you think the mouse was too small for it, I am sure it knew it was there .

It made my day special. I was worrying about the Hawks hadn't seen any around for a while (just hoped someone hadn't got rid of them permanently. there are some nasty folk about).

Love reading your posts you have more variety of birds than I do. Haven't seen anthying today and my Blackbird has been missing for a few days (think he is on his hols. moulting).

Ann
Hi Ann, i think the reason for our variety of birds is we live within 1/2 mile of some lovely woodland. Living in preston you will know it cuerden park, on the A49 wigan rd. Its also a good local birding patch. with greenwoodpeckers, which i have yet to find!!! As for the hawk missing the mouse, their main diet is small bird's, i think they will take the odd rodent if nothing better on offer!!
I was out feeding the tribe this morning, just walked in the house and looked across at the fence and there she sat:eek!: female sparrowhawk she must have seen me because she was gone in a flash. all stayed quite for some time after. best for us today were the pair of bullfinches:t: hope you get some good birds today. ps yes callous is spelt right.
bert.

The Hawks I have seen here don't always fly away when they see me, probably so many houses they have got used to people. Glad you saw one too.

Yes I know of Cuerden Park they actually have a website, must go one day.

No birds but thank goodness my Blackbird came back, I am sure he is moulting or unwell (he looks quite elderly) haven't seen him flying today he just skulked under the hedge, took his mealworms out and he hid until I came in. Usually I have to wait while he eats them in case the Starlings arrive. Why are Blackbirds afraid of Starlings, they will have a go at each other but fly off as soon as a Starling wants their dish. I feed sofbill food and mealworms in coffee jar lids (free) why pay a lot for a fancy birdfood dish.

Ann

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back