• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tulum, Yucatan Mexico (2 Viewers)

frogstar

Hi
can anyone id this bird for me please. I haven't a clue!

Thanks in advance

Frogstar

Attachments

• IMG_6876.jpg
    IMG_6876.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 142
Hi Frogstar,

The face being angled away from the camera makes it a bit tricker, but I think your bird is a worn Mangrove Vireo. You can't make out the pale yellow lores because of the angle, but everything else fits.

Chris

Hi Chris
thanks for looking. I have attached 2 more photos which are rather poor quality but may assist in identifying it.

Regards
Frogstar

Attachments

• IMG_6875.jpg
    IMG_6875.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6877.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 100
Hi Chris
thanks for looking. I have attached 2 more photos which are rather poor quality but may assist in identifying it.

Hi frogstar,

Most definitely a Mangrove Vireo, or as Sibley & Monroe referred to the population in question, a Mayan Vireo. That's a bird that can be hard to photograph. Nice work!

Chris

Thanks for that Chris. I find British birds hard enough and only get practice with 'exotics' when on holiday. I have a number of other shots that I'm having problems identifying but at least I have photos and can do it at leisure. This has put my life list over 600 so I'm very pleased.
Thanks again,

Frogstar

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back