• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Dialyt 10x40B - Current Equivilant???? (1 Viewer)

thequest270

Hello,

New to the forum and not a birder, but there appears to be a wealth of knowledge and was hoping someone could help answer some questions for me.

A very special friend who was a "Grandfather Figure" to me recently passed and left me his Zeiss Dialyt 10x40b Binoculars as his last gift to me. Optically they seemed pretty good and to honor him, I left my 10x42 Leicas Geovids at home last week and took these Zeiss out on a mule deer hunt.

I took a bad stumble on the mountain side and the binoculars went with me. The focus wheel jammed and wouldn't move. That night back at camp, i left them in my truck - as i do with all optics. The next morning when I got up, they were badly fogged internally and 100% unusable.

Now I guess I have two questions...
1. What is the current Zeiss Bino that is equivalent? I filled out the service form and am sending them in, but my concern is they may be unrepairable as I am guessing they are close to 25-30 years old. If so, and assuming zeiss offers to replace them, are these Conquest HD or Victory level? Terra HD?

2. I attached a picture, but can't find a serial number anywhere. Based on the picture, any guess as to approx. manufacturing year? What was the quality of these brand new? I know he paid a pretty good sum of money when he bought them new many years ago. I am assuming they were made in West Germany?

Attachments

• zeiss.jpg
    zeiss.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 278
The Zeiss Dialyts are nice optics.

If you are looking for warranty advice, contact Zeiss.

Don't expect replacement. I can tell you are suspect. :C

Jerry

Hi thequest270.
Welcome.

The binocular is an older model.
It might be repairable, but is well used.

The Conquest HD 10x42 will be better.

Is the serial number under the hinge? I can't remember.

This pair would have been made in West Germany between 1972 (when the bold "ZEISS" logo was adopted) and 1983 (when a new body style for the 10x40 was introduced). If there is no "T*" label on the focusing knob it was made between 1972 and the introduction of T* on the 10x40 in 1981.

These were never waterproof, lacked phase coating and (pre-1981) lacked multi-coating. The Terra HD would be optically better. Most modern binoculars that cost more than $150 would be better.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back