• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltic Butterfly Challenge 2017 (1 Viewer)

1 October.

A distinct chill hitting the lands, nights dropping to 5C and days struggling to exceed 10 C. Hardly conducive to butterflies flying, but even in these last gasps of the season, still the limited sunny spells brought a number of butterflies - eleven species on the first day of the month, including 20 Queen of Spain Fritillaries, one Weaver's Fritillary and one fairly fresh Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary ...three species of fritillary in October, who would have thought it?!

Also at least 30 Small Coppers braving the elements, two Eastern Bath Whites and a half dozen Pale Clouded Yellows. As for the rest, a single Small White, a single Green-veined White, a single Small Tortoiseshell, a single Red Admiral and two Commas.

Three unlikely October fellows ...

Attachments

• Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary lt 1.jpg
    Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary lt 1.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Weavers Fritillary lt 2.jpg
    Weavers Fritillary lt 2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Queen of Spain Fritillary lt 1.jpg
    Queen of Spain Fritillary lt 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 40
The SPbF must be a second gen which is a less common occurence the further North you go.

I've had them fresh in August which is late in St P, they wouldn't like it here now!

Second generation is usual here - first May-early July, smaller second generation in July-August.

Never been records in late-September or October to the best of my knowledge, though I also saw a single at this locality on 23-25 September this year (different individual). Late second generation I presume, though I suppose third generation is possible.

2 October. The End.

Patchy sun, a cold wind - returned to the splendid grasslands that had produced the impressive counts of late butterflies in preceding days. Till 11 a.m., not a single butterfly, then in weak sun and the nippy winds, a few brave butterflies appeared - a grand total of three species and 13 individual butterflies ...one Green-veined White, seven Small Coppers, five Queen of Spain Fritillaries.

Thereafter, four days of heavy rain and low temperatures, pretty much more of the same to come. I think the season is over, maybe a last straggler if I am lucky?

15 October.

Ha, two weeks of torrential rain and cold should have truly finished things off ...but a butterfly still flies! Small White in the briefest of sunny patches, one of my latest ever flying butterflies in Lithuania.

Common Darter and Migrant Hawker too, plus a Winter Damselfly, the latter nt something I see often

18 October. Season Lives On!

By rights, butterflies in this neck of the woods should have been over long ago, not unheard of for frosts and even a dash of early snow by now. However, spurred on by a single butterfly on the 15th, and encouraged by an unseasonably warm 15 C, I quickly nipped out to meadows today when I spotted a big patch of blue sky approaching ...something quite welcome after the endless clouds and rain of the last weeks.

And a nice reward - my latest ever assortment of butterflies flying in this country, four species and 12 individuals in this brief outing: six Small Coppers, four Queen of Spain Fritillaries (one looking freshly emerged), one Brimstone, one Small White.

Ah, how nice it is, felt great to still have them flying.

Last edited:
19-20 October. Season Lives On.

New latest records ever for me - in a brief patch of sunshine in temperatures of 13 C, my favourite set of meadows actually produced a slight upswing in the number of butterflies! All in a single hour on the 19th, one Brimstone, one Small Tortoiseshell, six Queen of Spain Fritillaries and no less than 18 Small Coppers!

Next day, as I waited at traffic lights in the city centre, gazing up at the bright sun and cursing that I was unable to get out to the meadows to enjoy the conditions, albeit only 10 C, so a Red Admiral fluttered by ...my sixth species in three days, unheard of in late October in these parts!

2017 Finale!

Several cloudy days, a couple of nights dropping to a chilly minus 2C, truly thought the butterfly season would be over. And so dawned 24 October, clear skies and a considerable frost, freezing point early on, rising only to a meagre 3 C by midday. However, with bright sun and blue skies, relative warmth still lurked in sheltered spots and taking a quick wander on the local patch, there, low and behold, butterflies!

Only saw three in all, one Queen of Spain Fritillary and two Small Coppers, but truly quite amazing to have flying butterflies on such a late date here in Lithuania, especially given it was only 3 C! Certainly my latest ever in the country.

Also notable, one Common Darter and three Siberian Winter Damselflies.

Attachments

• Siberian Winter Damselfly.jpg
    Siberian Winter Damselfly.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
One day later, as I type this, it is snowing outside, a partial white layer now coats the land, 2017 the end.

...probably.

Last edited:
Snow here in the Alps on Monday so like you I imagined the end of butterfly action, but blow me down, up to 16C today and I’ve seen more Clouded Yellows in one day than I have all year, all heading roughly southwest it seemed. So don’t give up on 2017 yet Jos!

Snow here in the Alps on Monday so like you I imagined the end of butterfly action, but blow me down, up to 16C today and I’ve seen more Clouded Yellows in one day than I have all year, all heading roughly southwest it seemed. So don’t give up on 2017 yet Jos!

Forecast is cold and wet at least until middle of next week - simply can't imagine I will get any more butterflies in Lithuania this year. To the best of my memory, I have never seen a November butterfly in this country (other than hibernating individuals sleeping in caverns, etc)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back