• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cambodian Fruit Bat ID (1 Viewer)

davidg

During a recent trip to Cambodia I was very excited to find a treeful of roosting fruit bats in the middle of Pnomh Penh. Can anyone suggest an ID from the attached photos?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• Fruit Bats, Cambodia 1.jpg
    Fruit Bats, Cambodia 1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Fruit Bats, Cambodia 2.jpg
    Fruit Bats, Cambodia 2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 83
Not possible to be certain from these pics but on distribution, the two possible are Greater Short-nosed and Sunda Short-nosed Fruit Bats (taxonomy dependent).

The shape of the muzzle which seems longish, suggests Sunda to me?

The biggest surprise to me is that they haven't been eaten!

Andy

Not possible to be certain from these pics but on distribution, the two possible are Greater Short-nosed and Sunda Short-nosed Fruit Bats (taxonomy dependent).

The shape of the muzzle which seems longish, suggests Sunda to me?

The biggest surprise to me is that they haven't been eaten!

Andy

Thanks Andy. The Cambodians seem to eat everything else so I'm not sure why these have been left alone. They're well known locally as it was a tuk-tuk driver that pointed them out to me. Perhaps they're just too high up.

David

Thanks Andy. The Cambodians seem to eat everything else so I'm not sure why these have been left alone. They're well known locally as it was a tuk-tuk driver that pointed them out to me. Perhaps they're just too high up.

David

Or protected by urban location - difficult to use guns, nets, traps, or whatever, among crowds of people and under the noses of the police

Just a thought but we were on a birding trip to Cambodia earlier this year and saw, from memory, very similar bats in Siem Reap which our Cambodian guide said were Lyle's Flying Fox Pteropus lylei. Apparently they do well in urban areas.

Regards

Grahame

Just a thought but we were on a birding trip to Cambodia earlier this year and saw, from memory, very similar bats in Siem Reap which our Cambodian guide said were Lyle's Flying Fox Pteropus lylei. Apparently they do well in urban areas.

Regards

Grahame

Thanks Grahame. These things are more difficult to identify than I'd imagined - I suspect I'll just have to record them as Flying Foxes/Fruit Bats!

David

Lyle's Flying Foxes Pteropus lylei. They are locally protected in temples and suchlike. Cynopterus are different, much smaller, with pale wing bones for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back