• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jungle Crow?? (1 Viewer)

fthsm

Fatih Sam
Sakhalin 07/08/2006

Do you agree me, this bird is a Jungle Crow/Corvus levaillantii?

Attachments

• jc01.jpg
    jc01.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 183
Hi Fatih,
No, I don't agree. It lacks the much more extensive beard and heavy body of Corvus corax kamtschaticus. The bill is not heavy enough, for me, for Corvus macrorhynchos japonensis (levaillantii does not range on Sakhalin Is.). For me, I might tend to think it is probably Corvus corone orientalis.

cuckooroller said:
Hi Fatih,
No, I don't agree. It lacks the much more extensive beard and heavy body of Corvus corax kamtschaticus. The bill is not heavy enough, for me, for Corvus macrorhynchos japonensis (levaillantii does not range on Sakhalin Is.). For me, I might tend to think it is probably Corvus corone orientalis.

Hi Steve,
It's nice to see you again. First of all thanks a lot for BF link |=)|
After the "Garrulus glandarius brandtii" on TN this is the second species that I couldn't find in my book. I think I am going to buy a better one |=)|
I am not sure about the "Corvus corone orientalis" there is not much documents on internet. Anyway I believe you are right.
Thanks and best wishes from Turkey,
Fatih

This looks like a classic Large-billed Crow to me - note the steep forehead, which corone does not show.

This thread is a bit old but I want to ask some more crows. What do you think about this one? Carrion crow?

Attachments

• IMG_0214_1.jpg
    IMG_0214_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I think the first and last birds are Carrion Crow, as they both appear slender-billed and the latter has the wrong tail shape for Largr-billed Crow (it is no longer called Jungle Crow..as that is another species).

The second bird with its raised hackles and huge bill is as Mike says Large-billed Crow.

There are three species in Hokkaido and Sakhalin, the third being Northern Raven, but in Hokkaido that is a rare winter visitor and any way none of those birds are Raven.

Sean

Hiroshima

Thanks lostinjapan.
Well, my next question is about the distribution. Is this bird "Corvus corone corone" like the European Carrion Crow or does it have another name?

Wow

I must have lost the reply last time..so here goes again.

The 'race' in Asia is Corvus corone orientalis (as mentioned by Steve). It is a little larger than Corvus corone corone, with a slightly longer tail, broader wings and different vocalizations.

It is also seperated on range from it's European congener by Hooded Crow.

It may well be split in the near future.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back