Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 16th July 2017, 10:14   #1101
WimDel

Thanks for trying to id my mystery bird. Although I find it hard to believe it would be a cattle egret. My gut feeling says demoiselle crane, but I guess I'll never know for certain.

I stayed in Mallorca from 1-11th July, for me the highlights of the trip were Eleonora's falcons hunting at Bocquer and a splendid roosting bird at Son Real at close range, black vulture and griffons at Mortitx, scopoli's shearwaters at close range on a dolphin trip,...

I missed the reef egret and failed to see the moltoni's warbler at Cuber (disregarded a very brief view of a possible bird). I did see a balearic warbler at Bocquer, but also very briefly.

3 crossbills were present at El Calvari in Pollenca, calling al the time but difficult to see.

You can see the rest of my sighting here (photos will be added later) https://observation.org/user/view/60...&only_hidden=0
Old Monday 17th July 2017, 13:59   #1102
Maties Rebassa

Of course I would prefer it to be a demoiselle, but I think this bird it's not. First, demoiselle it's a real rarity (no "modern" observations in the Balearics, but probably was commoner in the past, and at least 3 birds were hunted in Mallorca in the 18th century). Second, what it's seen in the pictures doesn't fit with this species (for example, the wing fly-feathers are not dark, in fact all the wing looks of the same colour, probably white).
I've seen these days a very dirty cattle-egret in s'Albufereta (near Alcudia), with many parts of belly, breast, neck and head with dark orange-rusty colour (with some white spots and white fringes on it). That is, in my opinion, the bird you saw. I prefer to look always at the "easiest" especies, instead of talking about rare birds.
Other birds seen these days include whiskered terns, little terns, whimbrel, spotted redshanks (as much as 25), greenshank, green sandpiper, wood sandpiper, common sandpiper... The migrations seems to have started.
Best wishes,
Old Monday 17th July 2017, 15:21   #1103
Ben Nevis

While sitting on my balcony ln Puerto Pollensa early this morning (well after the Firework Fiesta) l listened to a Scops Owl calling,from the area of the Guardia Civil.ln case anyone wants to follow up what l heard.
Old Monday 17th July 2017, 17:38   #1104
Mike Montier

A brief seawatch late afternoon, a bit early in the day maybe, but I still saw 12 Scopoli's Shearwaters from my local lighthouse. As Maties says, migration is under way, mostly Common waders but a good selection. I will be going to Salobrar later in the week. It's a great place to be at this time of the year, you just never know what will turn up.
Thanks Ben Nevis, I am still hearing the odd Scop's owl in Parc Mondrago but it's generally quieter. I hope to look for Nightjars later this evening. Mike
Old Monday 17th July 2017, 20:10   #1105
Mike Montier

Quite lively in Mondrago this evening with the Stone Curlews being very noisy as usual. Then three Scop's owls were calling, just in one small area, so there must be many more.
Then I heard and saw one European Nightjar with its unique flight against a bright orange sky. For me, there are few sights better than this in the birding world. Magic. Mike
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 08:02   #1106
davercox
Dave Cox

Eurasian Scops Owl [I]Otus scops[/I] (Linnaeus)

I know I'm going to get shot down in flames for posting this, but I can't help myself, sorry.

There is not, and has never been, any such person as "Scop" after whom an owl could be named. And there is no such bird as "Scop's Owl".

(Hides under blanket.)

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 09:31   #1107
honeym

I agree
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 12:17   #1108
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davercox View Post
I know I'm going to get shot down in flames for posting this, but I can't help myself, sorry.

There is not, and has never been, any such person as "Scop" after whom an owl could be named. And there is no such bird as "Scop's Owl".

(Hides under blanket.)
Never mind hiding Dave, you are now duty bound to find out, and tell us all, where the word 'scops' comes from, and the meaning
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 14:03   #1109
foresttwitcher

Apparently from the Greek skops meaning "little horned owl"!

Can't see the birds for the trees!
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 16:37   #1110
Mike Montier

Excellent! Many thanks for that. Scops owl it is then. (from now onwards!) Mike
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 16:38   #1111
Mike Montier

A possible sighting of the Ruppell's Vulture today, I await further news but it does put the original sighting in a better light now, there were some doubters. Mike
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 18:28   #1112
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
A possible sighting of the Ruppell's Vulture today, I await further news but it does put the original sighting in a better light now, there were some doubters. Mike
Were there any severe storms in the spring to bring a Ruppell's in Mike?

I recall the days when there was only one griffon with the black vultures at Cuber, then a few years ago a massive storm dumped a couple of dozen or so griffons on the island and they've been effectively trapped there since then because they aren't up to the sea crossing to the mainland.

If it is a Ruppell's there should be plenty of opportunities to confirm it, because it's likely to be there for some time.
Old Tuesday 18th July 2017, 19:06   #1113
James Jobling

Dave's sub-blanket entry for Scops Owl (see #1106) has given me the courage to enter pleas for Audouin's Gull and Eleonora's Falcon - both names frequently butchered on this forum (altho' birders in Mallorca aren't alone; years ago on Lesvos I heard mention of "Ord-Wynne's Gull"!!!).
Old Wednesday 19th July 2017, 11:50   #1114
Patrick_m

A lot of feeding activity this morning at Maristany as the water level drops. Amongst the couple hundred little egrets (I counted nearly 300 last week) and 2 dozens of Night and Purple Herons where what I guess is the Hybrid Egret that has been seen numerous times in the past and the Western Reef Egret seen in s'Albufera a couple months ago. See below together in one not-so-good shot.

Also of note, on the platforms at the Depuradora, 3 dead juvenile Shelducks, new since last Thursday, and this besides the 3 or 4 dead gulls that have been there for weeks. The water looks the dirtiest I have seen it and unusually smelly. I am sure the heat and summer load on the treatment plant do not help keeping water quality up but I wonder if these recent deaths have been common in the past and/or are being investigated.

Over the fields near the Depuradora, I counted 9 Bee-eaters, and two more on the other side of the quarry.

At Albufereta, very quiet with low water levels, even the large pool nearest the platform is drying out. Mainly Little Egrets, BW Stilts, a lone Osprey grooming on a post and a juvenile (maybe 1st year) grey heron.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_A8A0121.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	633679  Click image for larger version

Name:	_A8A0137.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	266.8 KB
ID:	633680  
Old Wednesday 19th July 2017, 17:33   #1115
red-rumped swallow

S'Albufera Nature Reserve.

Hi all, Just a few photos after my recent holiday to Mallorca.

Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 092-Edit.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	633692  Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 097-Edit.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	633693  Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 278-Edit.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	280.0 KB
ID:	633694  Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 348-Edit.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	633697  Click image for larger version

Name:	BIRDS AND WILDLIFE 310-Edit.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	633701  

Old Wednesday 19th July 2017, 17:41   #1116
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jobling View Post
Dave's sub-blanket entry for Scops Owl (see #1106) has given me the courage to enter pleas for Audouin's Gull and Eleonora's Falcon - both names frequently butchered on this forum (altho' birders in Mallorca aren't alone; years ago on Lesvos I heard mention of "Ord-Wynne's Gull"!!!).
Audouin- a 19thC French ornithologist, which, if correct, means we should really be pronouncing it 'Oh-du-an' rather than 'Or-dew-in' (that is if you want to be that pedantic...)

Eleonora (Eleanor of Arborea)- practically a martyr on Sardinia (14thC judge & countess)- think Eleonora's Falcons were first described from Sardinia by a visiting Italian ornithologist.

Hopefully provides some interest!
Old Wednesday 19th July 2017, 17:43   #1117
Luke Nash
Young Birder

On another note, have just published Part I of my holiday in Mallorca on my website here:

https://lukesbirdingblog.wordpress.c...ca-part-one-2/

Hope you enjoy!
Old Wednesday 19th July 2017, 19:30   #1118
Mike Montier

Hi Barred Wobbler, there have been two storms this spring but it would be very difficult to determine when the possible Ruppell's Vulture arrived. I well remember the lone Griffon Vulture and how difficult it was to catch up with, I only saw it once at Cuber. So if there is a Ruppell's out there, it surely won't be seen very often as they do wander around quite a bit.
Griffon vulture numbers were swollen when a big invasion took place some years ago. It's so hot here I can't find the energy to look up the details. I thought the total number involved was about 64 birds but I may be wrong. I must have been one of the first people to see them, a group of 32 passed overhead when I was out on a group walk. As I knew there was only one, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. A large group of the same birds were seen looking like they were leaving the island so I'm not sure if some did. I know now that there are an estimated 50 birds still here and 8 young were reared in 2015. I will be getting the annual report for 2016 this Thursday when the journal is launched in Palma by Carles. I will give the more up to date information when I have details.
All this means that if there is a Ruppell's here then it will most probably stay. Someone will eventually get a photograph and thus put any doubts aside. I will post any information I get.
Thanks others for your reports, good to see the Reef Heron is still around, nice photos all, Mike

Last edited by Mike Montier : Thursday 20th July 2017 at 07:22.
Old Wednesday 19th July 2017, 21:45   #1119
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Nash View Post
On another note, have just published Part I of my holiday in Mallorca on my website here:
[url]https://lukesbirdingblog.wordpress.com/2017/07/19/mallorca-part-one-2/[/url
Hope you enjoy!
Great report and you did well to see and photograph Striped Grayling. I've usually only seen then hurtling past at speed and difficult to see in the glaring sun.
I look forward to part 2.
Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 08:59   #1120
doody

Hi Mike – Interesting to hear the latest siting at Cuber of a “possible” Ruppell`s. I reported my “interesting” vulture there on 27th June which I`ve not written off. My problem after well over 50 years of birding is that I still don`t make field notes, carrying the details in my head until writing them up at the first opportunity. Nor do I run off a quick record photo though at the distance I saw this vulture it was not an option. So for me it goes down on my list along with the other “was it or wasn`t its.” A salutary lesson for all. I`ll still be very interested in any more sightings hopefully accompanied by a decent photo.
Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 09:29   #1121
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Nash View Post

https://lukesbirdingblog.wordpress.c...ca-part-one-2/

Hope you enjoy!
Super report Luke.
Looking forward to reading more.
Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 09:33   #1122
Ben Nevis

Now back In the thunder and lightning of Scotland,after a fantastic fortnight on the Island.I didn't manage to get out birding as much as usual,due to my wife recovering from a knee operation but many thanks to the posters on here and It was lovely to speak to visiting birders when I did get out and about.

Last but certainly not least,a BIG thanks to Mike Montier.An unsung hero for us "Brit Birders" visiting Mallorca.
Old Thursday 20th July 2017, 23:03   #1123
HartleyPoole

10 day countdown- could somebody please advise of location of Maristnay - can't seem to locate it.
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 07:50   #1124
Mike Montier

Hi HartleyPoole, Maristany is also known as Tucan Marsh, it can be found on the road from Alcudia to Pollensa. Going from the main reserve at Albufera, travel past most of the shops and roundabouts until you reach a roundabout by Burger King. Go straight on and very soon you will see Lidl. There is a small track down the side of the supermarket which takes you to the marsh. It's really good at the moment because it's drying out and there is lots of exposed mud. There is a big roost of Night Heron and mixed egrets including the egretta gularis, a big rarity here. Two Ruddy shelducks too, another rarity. It's a great little reserve. There are much better details earlier in this thread rather than my old fashioned ones. Good luck, it's very hot but early mornings are best, especially at Maristany because the roosting birds disperse soon after dawn. Mike
Old Friday 21st July 2017, 08:00   #1125
Mike Montier

Hi Doody. It's thanks to you that we were all alerted to the possible Ruppell's Vulture. I notified as many people as possible and luckily our resident raptor man saw it going overhead. There is little doubt that it is the real deal despite some early scepticism. I.e. Confusion with Griffon. Let's just hope someone gets a photo soon. Thanks for posting here, it was a great help.
I have also been birding over fifty years although you wouldn't think it sometimes. I keep notes which are great to look back on, especially the 80's and 90's when I was out and about so much. These days I have a camera, it's very hard getting a single observer record accepted without a record shot. Shame your bird was so distant, often the way sadly.All the best, Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: