• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (5 Viewers)

Suddenly they've turned up in Southern Spain! Additions yesterday were Iberian Chiffchaff, Eleonora's Falcon (!) White-rumped Swift, and Balearic Shearwater.

What's so surprising about the Eleonora's?

Next stops should be Portugal for the Weaver and the Bishop, Tarragona for Elegant Tern and then some island hopping. I'm surprised they still don't have Dartford Warbler.
I don't think any Rüppell's Vultures have been located in a while so they'll have to return for that one later in the year

The Mallorca 2017 thread indicates there's a Ruppell's Vulture on the island (though no photo support yet), presumably they need Balearic Warbler and the flycatcher too?

Next stops should be Portugal for the Weaver and the Bishop,

Why? Is true that both species are easier now that in winter, but since they are going to Açores in October they can get both species then, in 3-4 hours they should be able to leave Lisbon airport and see both species, and return to the airport.

On the other hand, if they come now, in 4-5 hours, they get both species + Pied-billed grebe and Blue-crowned parakeet (insurance C category tick) but at the moment there aren’t any pin-tailed whydah males holding territory near Lisbon.. lolol

What's so surprising about the Eleonora's?

I've been going to that part of Spain for 15 years and never had a sniff of one! There are the odd reports, but to get one on their first (and only!?) day in the area is something of a surprise!

SO, more plastic coming up then? Joy;)

Suddenly they've turned up in Southern Spain! ...

It seems to be not surprising at all, if you have a look at the route of the "dip day" (19th July): When they drove from the French coast in direction of Frankfurt airport, it was clear that they would change transport mode to get to the Mediterranean...

It seems to be not surprising at all, if you have a look at the route of the "dip day" (19th July): When they drove from the French coast in direction of Frankfurt airport, it was clear that they would change transport mode to get to the Mediterranean...

Yes, you're right, for reasons I can't explain (not even beer induced!) I thought they might be going overland. Just put it down to senior moments!:-C

I've been going to that part of Spain for 15 years and never had a sniff of one! There are the odd reports, but to get one on their first (and only!?) day in the area is something of a surprise!

Same time of year? Could be a random passage thing (and are they increasing?), but yes.

I came across the trio mid afternoon 19th on a windswept vast beach E of Calais in 30c.
They were about the leave and drive to Stuttgart having been on site for a second day and failed to have seen ET.
I understand they were going to fly to Spain and try for the ET pair.They also mentioned Mallorca & Corsica which I presumed were part of their present trip.
I also failed to see ET @ Calais on 11/19/20 July......although it was photographed by someone on 18th.

I came across the trio mid afternoon 19th on a windswept vast beach E of Calais in 30c.
They were about the leave and drive to Stuttgart having been on site for a second day and failed to have seen ET.

they are clearly very confident if they are now adding fictional aliens onto their target list in addition to birds! Although surely they need to target northern california if they want to be successful.

B :)

James

Yes, you're right, for reasons I can't explain (not even beer induced!) I thought they might be going overland. Just put it down to senior moments!:-C

To be honest I was thinking the same. But after rethinking twice I thought that going overland would waste too much time (especially as they haven't got species of the Alpes left to see) - and they would have had to go to Italy where they haven't left many target species left after their Black heron trip!

Balearic Warbler and Mediterranean Flycatcher in the bag now.

Off to Corsica now I guess:
California Quail
Dartford Warbler
Marmora's Warbler
Corsican Nuthatch
Corsican Finch

Last edited:
Balearic Warbler and Mediterranean Flycatcher in the bag now. .../QUOTE]

So now 663 species altogether - keeping in mind that they saw Yellow-headed Amazon (is that the correct English name?) in Stuttgart and that it is just not displayed at their website yet! Really great job they do!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back