• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wootton Art 2013 (2 Viewers)

never mind them crested berry-bolters- time for a slice of mighty white

The Crested Berry-bolters turned out well. I was curious as to just how developed you would make the foliage. It turns our far more than I would have guessed! But it looks very good. Hope the show goes well.

inspired by a failed search for the gyrfalcon - I saw seaducks in a splashy sea.
Charcoal, 39"x22" - long-tailed ducks at Yesnaby.

Attachments

• dux(800x439).jpg
    dux(800x439).jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 113
inspired by a failed search for the gyrfalcon - I saw seaducks in a splashy sea.
Charcoal, 39"x22" - long-tailed ducks at Yesnaby.

Inspiring stuff Tim, another charcoal scene that draws my breath. I can hear the distant call of black and white calling to me, looking at these only pushes me further towards turning my mind to monochrome. This is a cracking piece that conveys a thousand words at a glance...

This is the painting that I've been waiting to make since Edie and I found the gyr near Stromness a couple of weeks ago. It regularly flew over the moorland but we never saw it land there, seemingly enjoying the pasture instead. But, I know it spent some time on the deck there and latterly on the maritime heath at Yesnaby. Here's 'our' bird and how I imagined it in this habitat.
'White Gyr' watercolour, 27"x20"

Also a new charcoal piece inspired by my fruitless attempt at relocating the bird at Yesnaby - Fulmars, charcoal, 40"x22"

. . . and waxwings Sharpie.

Attachments

• gyr watercolour.JPG
    gyr watercolour.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 104
  • yesnaby fulmars.JPG
    yesnaby fulmars.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 116
  • four wax.JPG
    four wax.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 104
Oh you just don't stop do you! - all 3 are superb, thought the white budgie was good till I looked at the charcoal properly, sheer class.

cheers, Andrew

Last edited:
masterwork with the Gyr: that serenity is there

Speaking of serenity...

Gotta chip in for that marvellous charcoal piece, Fulmars slipping effortlessly over the sea. Theres a wonderful sense of peeking in at a scene where no soul is present. Love it...

All are wonderful, as all of your work is! Disappointed at the Gyr however - not because of your piece, which is great, but because it reminds me that we've now made two trips to a location where TWO of them have been seen this winter by multiple people. We, however, have had zero success so far. :-C

a couple more which may end up hanging at the show.

Attachments

• ringle tangle (800x552).jpg
    ringle tangle (800x552).jpg
    433 KB · Views: 127
  • eiders (800x574).jpg
    eiders (800x574).jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 128
Love the lively Ringies and a another classic Wootton Eider painting what belters to be greeted with this evening :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back