• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of Egypt questions (1 Viewer)

cugsy

Evening all. We're off to Egypt in early March for the wifes birthday - mentioning no numbers but apparently life begins then,(mind you I missed it!). I have seen mention of a couple of Birding Guides for the area we're off to - Luxor. I think we'd both be happy with the hoopoe and pied kingfisher but the more the merrier. Any suggestions for a guide book?
On the other hand I'm hoping to take my fishing gear (or some of it) and was wondering if you need a permit to fish there? Cheers John

I think a standard Collins Field Guide should serve you just fine. The distribution maps don't go as far south as Luxor but all the birds you are likely to see will be covered - either in the main section or as rarites.
It's over 20 years since I was there on holiday but I can guarantee you will be knocked out by the sheer profusion of birdlife on the Nile.
Sorry I can't help with any fishing advice.

Nick

Hi ,John. Where are you staying in Luxor ? We stayed on crocodile island at the Jolieville hotel. It's worth going there by taxi,if you are staying elsewhere, as you are free to walk around the island without the usual hassle you get elsewhere. It's a good birding site (bird tour companies stop off there ) with most of the local specialities.There are some reports in the vacations forum on here including my own.
cheers, Bill.

Hi Bill. we're at the Tutotel hotel in the centre of Luxor (I think). I might find a map of the area and try and plan something but its Emma's birthday hol so its her choice. She's not averse to birding - just the walking. But we're supposed to have a Nile view from the room.

While I was googling yesterday I came across a company that was offering cruises on the Nile with other activities included such as views of the might sky and fishing. Nile Perch at Aswan and other smaller fish were mentioned as options.

Unfortunately I didn't copy the address, but it shows that fishing is available.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back