• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drop In Filters (1 Viewer)

Nig3l

First Thanks to those of you that replied to my previous thread
"Upgrade from 350 & 100-400 "

This question is about drop in filters

I see that Canon's prime lens of longer focal length and larger physical size use a drop in filter.
I am used to using a UV or Skylight filter on the front of the lens to protect it from accidental damage.
I don't use any other filters perfering to use photoshop.

What is the idea behind the drop in filter?

I presume it is smaller diameter and therefore cheaper to produce / purchase ?

Is it used as well as or instead of a filter on the front? if instead off is it "just" a case of take extra care not to damage the front of the lens?

My main lens has a drop in filter, to be honest in two years using the lens I've never thought about changing it. I think you are right the drop ins mean you can use smaller, cheaper filters, but in the digital age far few people actually use them.

I don't use filters on the front of any of my long lenses, as in my experience they degragde image quality. I rely on lens hoods and being careful to keep my front elements safe.

THE very front element is just hi quality glass on the long primes and act's as a protection so the main glass wont get damaged.
Rob.

I must admit I had never dreamed of not placing a filter infront of my lens until

1. I realalised I would have to if I purchased a lens with the drop in system
2. I read on this forum about the IQ loss of a filter on the front that is contained in several threads.

I am extremely happy with my 1-400 but it is slow to focus (especially on moving objects) is this because it has a filter or it?
I thought it was a combo of the fact that the 350D is slow to focus and so is a zoom lens rather than a faster prime lens.

I am not always as pleased as I could be with the focused image. (Photoshop can work wonders but a sharp image to start is so much better)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back