• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess the Lens (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Took this shot last week - can you guess with which lens. Only clue is that the shot has been cropped but not by a lot, this is about 75% full frame.

Attachments

• corm3.jpg
    corm3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 178
Morning Roy,

Looking at the proportions, and the crop factor is 75%, and detail in the background, I would say that you where fairly close, with 200mm zoom.

Attachments

• corm.jpg
    corm.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 58
nice shot Roy

given that they are sometimes approachable I wonder if you got this one with the kit lens...

edit: hey Max it seems you and I had the same idea and posted it at much the same time... what's the betting we're both wrong!

Last edited:
I'm going for the kit lens too: very little change in focus between foreground and background = short focal length or else very small aperture, plus the angle at which you are looking down suggests either a very short lens or else a stepladder. If not the kit lens, something else in that focal length class. (Neat shot, BTW.)

You guys are too clever :clap: it was taken with the 18-55 kit lens (the one that most people say is cr*p) in Majorca last week. The bird was about 30 yards out on the rocks so I decided to walk out to see if I could get nearer - in the end I got to within about four feet, took a couple of shots and backed off - it still never flew off and was still there ten minutes later.
Who needs a long lens ;)

You guys are too clever :clap: it was taken with the 18-55 kit lens (the one that most people say is cr*p) in Majorca last week. The bird was about 30 yards out on the rocks so I decided to walk out to see if I could get nearer - in the end I got to within about four feet, took a couple of shots and backed off - it still never flew off and was still there ten minutes later.
Who needs a long lens ;)

:loveme: ... fine detail though, at short range this lens is not bad at all

If you can avoid shooting wide-open, and preferably stay somewhere near the middle of the zoom range - oh, say about 20mm to 45mm, the kit lens does just fine. (As you know.)

I swapped mine for a 24-105 a little while ago, and I'm not actually all that happy about it. The new lens, while a wonderful bit of kit, is heavier, larger, and most of all doesn't give me 18mm wide angle. So, assuming I can find a buyer for the 24-105, it's back to the 18-55 for me until I decide what to replace it with.

If you can avoid shooting wide-open, and preferably stay somewhere near the middle of the zoom range - oh, say about 20mm to 45mm, the kit lens does just fine. (As you know.)

I swapped mine for a 24-105 a little while ago, and I'm not actually all that happy about it. The new lens, while a wonderful bit of kit, is heavier, larger, and most of all doesn't give me 18mm wide angle. So, assuming I can find a buyer for the 24-105, it's back to the 18-55 for me until I decide what to replace it with.
I must admit that I rarely use the 18-55 now that I have the 17-40 f4 (which I reckon is a cracking lens) but I did not want to take anything decent with me. As you say keeping in the mid range at around f8 it performs ok.

nice shot Roy

given that they are sometimes approachable I wonder if you got this one with the kit lens...

edit: hey Max it seems you and I had the same idea and posted it at much the same time... what's the betting we're both wrong!

We're both right :scribe: B :) :'D

Well John, I just happen to have an 18-55 spare. Swap you for a 400/5.6? I'll even pay the postage.

Lol I actually have Two 18-55mm and Tomorrow i'm stripping One down to
try this idea i have ... I doubt it will work but should'nt ruin the actual lens
Hopefully,
Take care,
John,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back