• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which camera to buy (1 Viewer)

Reg10

Have read some good advice on here by members suggesting to others what to buy but as expected none really matches what I want to know, which is;
As a now retired person interested in photography, wildlife and bird watching but only to the point of doing it for my own pleasure, ie not interested in competitions, shows, bragging rights in the hides etc, and not rich what do I upgrade to.
Currently using a low cost bridge cam from Fuji S1800, well aware of its limitations having owned it a year, slow to turn on, slow to focus, v.slow write to card etc.
Have been looking at Nikon D3100 with standard lens but then would need to buy a decent long lens to go with it or the new Fuji HS30EXR apparently much improved version of HS20 or perhaps a panasonic 4:3rds SLR.

Given that I will probably not buy another decent camera as eyesight will be shot in a few years probably, what does anyone recommend

Hi
I'm a HS30 owner and it is quick to start, quick to focus and I am finding the 2xdigital zoom on top of the 30x optical zoom gets some great record shots of birds. I have large hands and one of the original reasons I chose Fuji was how well it sat in them. I found it easier to handle than the Panasonic fz series and Sony. Also I love the manual zoom.
My second choice would be the Panasonic FZ150, hardly read anything negative about it and it too is super fast. It just didn't sit right for me.
All the best,
Ian

I would look at the Nikon 1V1, as this allows you the option of adding longer telezoom lenses, either directly in Nikon 1 format, or via the FT-1 adapter.
I think it will also be a more flexible solution than a fixed lens bridge camera.

Thanks for the comments, I have to say really not sure about the Nikon 1V1, would have to go and handle it both in standard format and with a telezoom lens attached before any further comment. I have a good Canon compact already so the need for the Nikon compactness is reduced.
Will go and have a look at the FZ150 and a HS30 hopefully side by side and see what I think.
Thanks again for the comments, more welcome
Greg

The panny DMC-G3 with the 100-300mm lens is what I'd recommend--or the FZ150 if the lower cost is significant to you. The G3 is the camera I've been happiest with. Should have somewhat better image quality at high ISOs than FZ150, and slightly better image quality. Believe it also has a larger viewfinder and having a manual zoom lens, as on the G3, is a big help in bird photography IMO. You need to zoom out to find small birds in a tree before you can zoom in for a frame-filling shot--and that's hard to do with an electric zoom operated by switch. But FZ150 is an excellent camera as well.

Would not recommend larger DSLRs as they are heavy and you need a larger and heavier lens with them to get adequate magnification because of the larger sensor size. Not something you need to lug around if your not doing competitions, etc.

Jim

"DMC-G3 with the 100-300mm"
That's nearly a £1000 in UK , a Canon 550d with 70-200 F4 L series is around that money .

That's nearly a £1000 in UK , a Canon 550d with 70-200 F4 L series is around that money .

Not sure what your point is, and don't know anything about UK prices. But 300mm is 600mm 35mm equivalent for micro 4/3rds camera because of 2x crop factor; plus you get 2x virtual teleconverter at small picture size on G3, extending "reach" to 1200mm. So don't think I'd compare it to a 200mm on a regular DSLR.

Jim

Jim is right, using the full number of pixels, the reach of the panasonic solution is about twice the reach of the Canon mentioned here. Obviously, you can purchase a much longer (and heavier lens) for the Canon setup to equal or surpass the panasonic reach.

For the OP: unless you are interested in the very best and expensive lenses I would not go for the Nikon 3100 you mention. If the actual picture quality of your current camera is more or less as good as you want it, then I would probably recommend the newest generation of superzooms, FZ150 or the fuji you mentioned. If you want a better output, I would second Jim's recommendation of the Panasonic with 100-300 (I have the slightly more expensive GH2 camera with that same lens. Actually, if the price of a GH2 has fallen to almost the same levels as G3 (as I think I read somewhere), then I probably would take GH2 over the G3 ...)

Niels

Hi reg 10,I've just got my fz 150 about 2 weeks ago having part exchanged it for my fz 100 i thought the fz 100 was good but the fz 150 is excellent i took this pic of a kestrel in a tree with it and i'm very chuffed with the out come hope this will help with your choice
yours dave

Attachments

• P1000108(1) (643x800).jpg
    P1000108(1) (643x800).jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 201
Hi reg 10,I've just got my fz 150 about 2 weeks ago having part exchanged it for my fz 100 i thought the fz 100 was good but the fz 150 is excellent i took this pic of a kestrel in a tree with it and i'm very chuffed with the out come hope this will help with your choice
yours dave

Thats a cracker how far away was the photo taken?

i was about 80 feet plus it was up in a tree forgot to say i had a 1.7x convertor on as well but usually kestrel's tend to fly away before i can get a pic but not this one :)

Not sure what your point is, and don't know anything about UK prices. But 300mm is 600mm 35mm equivalent for micro 4/3rds camera because of 2x crop factor; plus you get 2x virtual teleconverter at small picture size on G3, extending "reach" to 1200mm. So don't think I'd compare it to a 200mm on a regular DSLR.

Jim

I am merely pointing out the possibilities of a higher quality route for the future .
If the op chooses , he can get a teleconverter too .
Not forgetting there is no viewfinder lag so BIF is possible too .

Only pointing out other possibilities .

Edit to say :
I looked into that Panasonic and it is much better than I expected from an evil !
Good ISO , noise and detail , the only downsides would be handling with a tele lens , speed of autofocus(?) and viewfinder lag .
He doesn't express a wish to buy into a system were it gets to the point that a great lens collection warrants upgrading the body .
In respect of these points , the advantage of going into DSLR doesn't make sense for the OP .
Won't remove earlier comments as I don't believe in that kind of edit , make a mistake in honesty sort of thing .

Last edited:
yours dave
Great picture Dave, will have to have a look at the FZ150 for sure.
Thanks

I am merely pointing out the possibilities of a higher quality route for the future .
If the op chooses , he can get a teleconverter too .
Not forgetting there is no viewfinder lag so BIF is possible too .

Only pointing out other possibilities .

Edit to say :
I looked into that Panasonic and it is much better than I expected from an evil !
Good ISO , noise and detail , the only downsides would be handling with a tele lens , speed of autofocus(?) and viewfinder lag .
He doesn't express a wish to buy into a system were it gets to the point that a great lens collection warrants upgrading the body .
In respect of these points , the advantage of going into DSLR doesn't make sense for the OP .
Won't remove earlier comments as I don't believe in that kind of edit , make a mistake in honesty sort of thing .
I am going to check out the FZ150 and the HS30EXR.
You are quite right I have no intention of buying into a system and buying lots of lens so for me at least superzoom is the way to go, possibly with a teleconverter in due course.
One question what is BIF?

Thanks for all the comments it has helped clarify a few things in my mind, now for the hands on test!

Just a quick update, have been and tried albeit in a limited fashion the FZ150, HS30EXR and DMC G3 and after a lot of thought plumped for the HS30EXR.
Reasons for choice, it feels good in the hand, love the manual zoom and it does everything I want.
Will let you know how it goes after I have used it for a while, in the meantime thanks again for all the suggestions.

Reg will be interested to see how you find this cam.I am still looking for a decent bridge zoom cam.I tried the Pan 150,too small ,and fiddly contols,similar experience with the Canon ,this cam is on my list,but would love to see some shots,and hear how the handling etc.

Reg will be interested to see how you find this cam.I am still looking for a decent bridge zoom cam.I tried the Pan 150,too small ,and fiddly contols,similar experience with the Canon ,this cam is on my list,but would love to see some shots,and hear how the handling etc.

It should arrive in the next couple of days, so will post first impressions not long after that along with some images and then maybe a fuller report after a week or two. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back