• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steiner vs Fujinon Porro 7x (1 Viewer)

ureinwohner

Hello !

My name is Sebastian, i am from Erlangen (Germany) and i have a question :

I am about to buy a new pair of binoculars and have a little trouble to decide which one to buy. I will use these binos mainly for birding, hunting and also for travelling and trekking. The two binos i am considering are :

1. The steiner Military 7x50 M540

(Link :http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STEINER-540...944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a4ffc3930)

2. The Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX-2

I read alot about the Fujinon and i have the feeling that the only downside of it, is its weight. About the Steiner i hardly found any info so far. What i like about the Steiner is , that it weighs less and that it has a reticle in it (No idea if i ever will have to use it for range estimating or navigating or something, but i like it)

What are your opinions on that ? What about the Steiner's Coating and visual specs ?

Would be very gratefull for some input.

.... all the best from here

Basti

I did 20 yrs on the pacific commercial fishing . We only used Fujinon . Yes they are heavy
but they went up in the helicopter , Mast , dropped , salt spray , always clear and parallel . You really need three pair... a small junk pair 10 x 25 , medium weight roof prism 10 x 42 , heavy 7 X 50 .

The Fujinon Marine glasses come in a low priced version ... individual focus eye piece ( for boat work / no center focus ) LINK

Hans K.

Last edited:
Basti,
Welcome to the forum.

For terrestrial viewing, the 7x50 FMT-SX is most impressive in terms of intensity and clarity of image. I would not want a finer view. Its weight, bulk, and individual focusing must be carefully considered, however, if you are planning general daytime sightseeing, and especially birdwatching. In fact, I don't really recommend it for those purposes, except to the patently optics-obsessed very strong man. Although the first I may be, I fail the latter!

I have not used the Steiner.
Ron

Basti,
Welcome to the forum.

For terrestrial viewing, the 7x50 FMT-SX is most impressive in terms of intensity and clarity of image. I would not want a finer view. Its weight, bulk, and individual focusing must be carefully considered, however, if you are planning general daytime sightseeing, and especially birdwatching. In fact, I don't really recommend it for those purposes, except to the patently optics-obsessed very strong man. Although the first I may be, I fail the latter!

I have not used the Steiner.
Ron

Hello Ron !

I decided to order the Fujinon after putting some weights on my old binos in order to test how 1.4 kilos feel. I can send them back if i consider them too heavy for my purpose, but i think, for travelling and hiking i will anyway use smaller binos like a 7x28 or something in that range.

Another thought that i had, was, if i should maybe also try the 10x50 for a more detailed view....

I will get the binos this week hopefully and i will report. Hope to make side to side comparison with my friend's Swarovski 8.5x42 EL....

Another reason why the Steiner couldn't convince me yet, was that the military grade binos are only available in the US and if any guarantee issue should arise, probably that would be complicated.

What do you think in general about the 7fold magnification ? Is that enough for birding ? Or would you prefer a higher one ?

Hello !

My name is Sebastian, i am from Erlangen (Germany) and i have a question :

I am about to buy a new pair of binoculars and have a little trouble to decide which one to buy. I will use these binos mainly for birding, hunting and also for travelling and trekking. The two binos i am considering are :

1. The steiner Military 7x50 M540

(Link :http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-STEINER-540...944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a4ffc3930)

2. The Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-SX-2

I read alot about the Fujinon and i have the feeling that the only downside of it, is its weight. About the Steiner i hardly found any info so far. What i like about the Steiner is , that it weighs less and that it has a reticle in it (No idea if i ever will have to use it for range estimating or navigating or something, but i like it)

What are your opinions on that ? What about the Steiner's Coating and visual specs ?

Would be very gratefull for some input.

.... all the best from here

Basti

Basti,
My first pair of high quality binoculars was a pair of Steiner 7x50 Marine which is very close to the Military version. I really liked them. However, i found from the outset, that 7x was not enough power for me. I ordered two different pair of Steiner 10x50 Military binos shortly thereafter. Each pair had colimation problems. I returned both. This experience soured me towards Steiner quality control. Within the last two years or so, i have purchased a pair of Fujinon 10x50 FMTR-SX Polaris binos. These are far and away my finest binocuars and far ahead of Steiner, in my opinion. The 10x power is great for me and allows me to see all the detail i desire. However, as mentioned before, because of Individual focus, they are not very good for close-up bird watching. They are not very good for hiking either due to their weight. Far away bird watching and plane spotting is very good. They are a superior product. I would encourage you to buy a pair of these instead of the Steiner.
Rick

Last edited:
Basti,
A 10x advocate has spoken, I think 7x is enough but usually use an 8x, and other equally valid opinions will be all over the place. I will say of the 7vs10 matter, however, that for me, it seems that 10x does show a little more detail, but seems more than a little harder to focus and hold steady.

So, I predict that if the contest against the 8.5x is simply for revealing smallest detail, the EL will win, but that you will see a certain "punch" through the Fujinon 7x50 that makes you stop and think. It is a strange thing to me, that an image can be so very bright, and yet so calm, simple to regard with no eyepiece artifacts, and easy on the eyes. But, I wax overly poetic. The EL is the obvious choice for easy usability. At least, that is how the comparison strikes me, my Fuj vs my wife's EL.

Let us know how it goes.
Ron
Ron

Basti,
A 10x advocate has spoken, I think 7x is enough but usually use an 8x, and other equally valid opinions will be all over the place. I will say of the 7vs10 matter, however, that for me, it seems that 10x does show a little more detail, but seems more than a little harder to focus and hold steady.

So, I predict that if the contest against the 8.5x is simply for revealing smallest detail, the EL will win, but that you will see a certain "punch" through the Fujinon 7x50 that makes you stop and think. It is a strange thing to me, that an image can be so very bright, and yet so calm, simple to regard with no eyepiece artifacts, and easy on the eyes. But, I wax overly poetic. The EL is the obvious choice for easy usability. At least, that is how the comparison strikes me, my Fuj vs my wife's EL.

Let us know how it goes.
Ron
Ron

Ron is right on the money here again, just like he is over at Cloudy Nights forum. To be honest, I have never looked through the Fuji 7x50. If i had, i may also advocate that particular model. The fact is that i am so impressed with my 10x50 for many reasons. Binocular power really is a personal preference. For me, if i am willing to lift the 53oz weight of the Fuji, i want to get a little more return on my efforts, thus the 10x power. Back to the original question for a minute. Considering the comparable price of the Fuji, with the Steiner Military Marine (aprox $500-$600), there really is no comparison in the two instruments, in my unprofessional opinion. The Fuji wins hands down. One is put together with metal and screws. The other is put together with plastic and glue. Two seperate approaches to a similar end.
Rick

Ok ! Got the Fuji 7x Fmtr sx today !

Took it out right away and was more than impressed to say the least. The view through these binos is simply impressiv.

Later in the afternoon i met with my birdwatching friend and went for a walk in the hills. Me, him, his girlfriend, the Fuji, the 8.5x42 EL and a Swar. 60x ??? Scope.

The weather was quite british i'd say. Cloudy, rainy and foggy. So probably not the best situations for a bino test.... but anyway. I enjoy such weathers very much. We have a saying (maybe you too have the same) : There is no bad weather, there is only inadequate clothing :)

So we started walking and spotted the first birds and the first roe deer who came out on the pasture to eat the fresh weed a bit. We switched from one bino to the other , each of us and it was really really hard to make a judgement.

I had the ! feeling , that the Swarovski offered a bit more crisper of a picture, especially when there was fog... , and also it seemed that edge clarity of the swarovski was a tiny little bit better than of the Fuji. But as i said it was really really hard to come up with a solid judgment. Obviously the Fuji is more bulky and heavier. But not really too heavy. I had the the Fuji around my neck with the OEM neck strap for the length of our walk, which was around 1 hour, maybe a bit more and i did not feel that it was annoying in anyway.

When we entered the woods i really learned to like the "Auto-Focus" of the Fuji. When i looked down a slope i did not have to refocus from 10 to infinity, that was very nice.

Concerning the magnification. I think 7x is absolutely adequate for my purpose. Especially when tracking a flying bird in the sky, it is absolutely no problem to spot it in the first place and i believe this could be one with a higher magnification.

After we left the forest again, the rain had stopped and the fog had gone. We did the same bino changing procedure multiple times again...... and now it was even harder to distinguish.

I have to mention that i am in no way any sort of expert when it comes to optics, so other people would have maybe more to say. But also my friends had difficulties in telling the difference of the optical parameters.

I will definately keep these binos ! I do not understand, why theay are so cheap and unknown here in Germany.

All in all i can really recommend these binos ! I think no one would regret buying these.

Thank you again for your advise also !

All the best

Basti

Ok ! Got the Fuji 7x Fmtr sx today !

Took it out right away and was more than impressed to say the least. The view through these binos is simply impressiv.

Later in the afternoon i met with my birdwatching friend and went for a walk in the hills. Me, him, his girlfriend, the Fuji, the 8.5x42 EL and a Swar. 60x ??? Scope.

The weather was quite british i'd say. Cloudy, rainy and foggy. So probably not the best situations for a bino test.... but anyway. I enjoy such weathers very much. We have a saying (maybe you too have the same) : There is no bad weather, there is only inadequate clothing :)

So we started walking and spotted the first birds and the first roe deer who came out on the pasture to eat the fresh weed a bit. We switched from one bino to the other , each of us and it was really really hard to make a judgement.

I had the ! feeling , that the Swarovski offered a bit more crisper of a picture, especially when there was fog... , and also it seemed that edge clarity of the swarovski was a tiny little bit better than of the Fuji. But as i said it was really really hard to come up with a solid judgment. Obviously the Fuji is more bulky and heavier. But not really too heavy. I had the the Fuji around my neck with the OEM neck strap for the length of our walk, which was around 1 hour, maybe a bit more and i did not feel that it was annoying in anyway.

When we entered the woods i really learned to like the "Auto-Focus" of the Fuji. When i looked down a slope i did not have to refocus from 10 to infinity, that was very nice.

Concerning the magnification. I think 7x is absolutely adequate for my purpose. Especially when tracking a flying bird in the sky, it is absolutely no problem to spot it in the first place and i believe this could be one with a higher magnification.

After we left the forest again, the rain had stopped and the fog had gone. We did the same bino changing procedure multiple times again...... and now it was even harder to distinguish.

I have to mention that i am in no way any sort of expert when it comes to optics, so other people would have maybe more to say. But also my friends had difficulties in telling the difference of the optical parameters.

I will definately keep these binos ! I do not understand, why theay are so cheap and unknown here in Germany.

All in all i can really recommend these binos ! I think no one would regret buying these.

Thank you again for your advise also !

All the best

Basti
Basti, just one more thing. Please consider that here in the US, the Swaro EL would be approximately 3 times the price of the Fuji!! Glad you like them.
Rick

Basti,
I'm glad you had such a good first outing with the Fujinon. Big individual focus binocular use is not exactly instinctive, and improves with practice. I expect you will like it even better as you figure out ways to manage the focusing, carry, and hold it. It is a fun challenge, although most people want something so easy to work that it just feels natural from the get-go. Rick's all round use proves it can be done, even at 10x, and I will take my 7x any time the walk isn't too long and the views not too close. There is something special about the view through an excellent and big Porro. Good luck with yours.

Just steer clear of the temptation of those wimpy little "birdwatching" models!
Ron

Last edited:
Basti, just one more thing. Please consider that here in the US, the Swaro EL would be approximately 3 times the price of the Fuji!! Glad you like them.
Rick

Here in Europe you pay around 1900 - 2000 Euro for the Swarovski and i got the Fuji for 450 .....

That is , why i like the Fujis even more :)

... a little update on the Fuji :

Today, hunting season began and i was out at around 4 in the morning. The lowlight performance was really astouning.

And another observation regarding the close focus "problem" with the fuji :

It is possible to focusdown to a range of 1.5 meters without any problem. Only one cannot focus than at an object further away. For balcony-birdwatching from our balcony, i focus on an object areound 3 meters away and then i can sea clear and sharp between 3 and around 10 meters.

I just love to look through these binos ! Like HD Television :)

For birding any of the many many very good 8 x 42 binos should suffice. Many like 10 x 42 (especially for high fliers) but I find it harder to hold steady and narrower FOV. That seems to be the sweet spot for manufacturers anyway

So long as you do distance work and can ably manage the weight, I feel the FMT-SX line offers dynamite value. I've been using the 10x50 for hawk migration counts for several years; they have a excellent optical quality, a solid FOV, and stunning depth of field. I'm sure others are in this line are also excellent, but I thought the 7x50's FOV was less than stellar for a 7x and I've assumed that my eye wouldn't advantage itself of that generous exit pupil in broad daylight. For a porro, they are indeed bulletproof; not as much a consideration these days, as many roofs are pretty damned sturdy. The Fujinons are also very eyeglass friendly, and I've encountered less eyestrain putting in full days on these than other binoculars. In any case, Sebastian, I feel you made an awesome choice, and I'm glad you feel the same way! I, too, remain less than impressed by the latest offerings from top manufacturers after putting in so many hours on my Fujinons. About the only binocular that would convince me to trade in my pair is the Canon L IS 10x42, which I think is also quite the bargain given its good optics, image stabilization, center focusing, and decent enough close-focusing.

A useful trick when adjusting the oculars on your Fujinons is to prop them on a stable surface under a starry sky. With careful adjustment, you'll quickly find the ideal infinity for your eyes, which will provide the best view at sea or at the hawkwatch. I've used a pencil to mark the adjustment so I can change them back in a pinch; I'd use a silver paint marker, but my eyes change periodically, so I make adjustments every couple of months or when I get a new eyeglass prescription.

Personally, I don't even try to use my Fujinons for close work anymore. With what I didn't spend on my Fujinon, I bought a Pentax DCF SP 8x32 for traveling and knocking around in the woods on skis in winter; they are more than adequate for what I wanted them for, although I eagerly switch back to my Fujinons when the opportunity presents itself.

Fond Regards to you!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back