• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wader's wing bars (1 Viewer)

Gerry Hooper

Certified User
Is there any reason why so many waders have such striking black and white wing bars?
I'm thinking of Black tailed Godwit, Redshank, Turnstone, Oystercatcher, Knot,Ringed Plover etc.
It's such a common feature there must be some reason for it.
Could it be something to do with keeping together as a flock when migrating at night, or confusing predators with the flashing patterns?
Cheers!

A good question Gerry but pretty difficult to answer. I often suspect that one of the reasons that birds have prominent 'field marks' such as wing bars is that they have the same use to birds as they do to birdwatchers - they help to identify a species. Wing bars on waders (or say a white or dark rump) are easily visible on flying birds at some distance and are also very consistent plumage features (most other plumage varies a lot during the year and as a bird ages). The white wing bar, square white rump and black tail on a Black-tailed Godwit may (amongst other things) be saying "I'm a Black-tailed Godwit". This is mostly useful to other Black-tailed Godwits but also, happily, to ourselves. Maybe that's a simple explanation but I reckon it might be an important part of why these features have evolved.

As they're usually only visible in flight then I agree it must be for recognising each other, probably in flocks of mixed birds where they can perhaps organise themselves into individual species groups - have you noticed this, Michael or anyone else?

Hi Adey,

Yes they do tend to (tho' it isn't 100% sorting). If say, a mixed feeding flock of Golden Plover, Lapwing, Redshank and a few Ruff takes off, they usually sort to single species groups fairly quickly.

If there's only one or two individuals of a particular species, then they'll mix with other species more readily, for safety in numbers.

Michael

Thanks folks,
I take the point that the plumage is primarily for recognition , but isn't it strange how very few passerines show this pattern as boldly?
If anybody says Magpie now I'll scream!!
I'm sure there will be a correlation between bold black and white markings and flocking or migration tendencies.
Not bad for the first theory of the year!
I'll go and sit down now.
Happy New Year one and all!

ID of species is a strong possibility, also confusion of a predator, for example a stooping perigrine, is also a possible. All the sudden flashing white-against-dark might be a help in escape.

Thanks Michael,
That really helps :t:
I'm refining my theory now to high flying nightime migrants in loose parties.
Sounds a bit like my lifestyle 10 years ago.
I'll get back to work on my theory then.... :scribe:

Just wanted to see if you really would scream!!

Suppose Chaffinches also have a very obvious wing pattern, and of course Wood Pigeons do too. Actually, come to think of it, most of the flocking finches have wingbars - it seems to be mainly solitary species that don't go in for wingbars much

Michael

Ive only just read this thread, and couldnt help but think about Starlings. They dont seem to have any real distinguishing wing bars or markings, that would enable them to be singled out. Im thinking more about when these flock.

Just interested in developing this thread,

thnx

tracker

Last edited:
Gerry Hooper said:
Cheers tracker, you've neatly pointed out the one exception to my theory.
There may be a few others....

Hi Gerry, i do hope you realise i wasnt trying to be smart. It was just the thread and subsequent replies got my mind thinking about your theory. It was an interesting thought, one to which i am still ruminating over!..... :news:

tracker

No worries Mate .
Thanks for reviving the thread.
There is a theory waiting out there..y'know, a theory that might make sense.:flyaway::flyaway::flyaway:

Interesting one, starlings - took a look in a couple of east Asian field guides (where the family is far more diverse), and over half of the species there have a prominent wing pattern, but our Common Starling is far from the only one with no obvious wing pattern. Guess they're the exceptions that prove the rule?

Michael

Nice point, Michael

Gerry Hooper said:
No worries Mate .
Thanks for reviving the thread.
There is a theory waiting out there..y'know, a theory that might make sense.:flyaway::flyaway::flyaway:

Gerry, maybe the answer is in the dismal weather over here in Britain.....i cant stand this darkness. So there we have it......Starlings en-mass, a large dark cloud. Perfect defense!!.......No? Ok, i'll think some more.....lol........ B :)

tracker

If I was going to be serious for a moment ....steady on this doesn't happen too often...I'd say that starlings are more vocal than most , so they might keep in contact with calls,rather than wing bars.Many other species use contact calls of course. Starlings spring to mind coz of the noise the big flocks make.
Another factor to add into the meling pot of theories.

Good question Gerry and i would agree with most of the BF members, however at my local patch which holds good numbers of Golden plovers evrytime i have seen the flock circling over my patch there has been 1 or 2 Snipe tagging along.
Do these Snipe think they are Golden plover? ,are they having an identity problem or just seeking safety in numbers?.

Last edited:
cuddy said:
Good question Gerry and i would agree with most of the BF members, however at my local patch which holds good numbers of Golden plovers evrytime i have seen the flock circling over my patch there has been 1 or 2 Snipe tagging along.
Do these Snipe think they are Golden plover? ,are they having an identity problem or just seeking safety in numbers?.

I think some do have identity problems, either that or as eggs they rolled the wrong way. On my local patch, we had a male mandarin duck, that was a regular visiter each nite, with a large flock of Canada geese. Talk about switched at birth......lol

tracker

"Is there any reason why so many waders have such striking black and white wing bars?"

Could it be, when shore based, with the sea, or against the waters edge in Lochs, Lakes, Pools etc, in the background, especially on windy days, the silhouette is more likley to be broken up by the wing pattern falling in with the waves, lapping against the shoreline. "Disruptive colouration".

Just a thought.

Malky @ Westhill

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back