• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Classic IF60-MT (1 Viewer)

ghostrider

I have a Classic IF60-MT which i use with an HR eyepiece. How much improvement in image quality will i gain if i upgrade to an HDF eyepiece?

Would this be worth it or would i be better upgrading the body?
I'm talking image quality,not other benefits such as waterproofing, weight and appearance.

I'm going to try them out but it would be interesting to hear your opinions as it is an old style scope.

Hi Ghostrider,

The HDF eyepieces are a lot brighter and clearer then the HR eyepieces
I have several of each. The HDF's are also sharper. however there are
going to be limitations because of the scope body, so an hdf eyepiece
on this scope might be an overkill, sorry. might be worth upgrading the body
I have several Opticron scopes, some old , some current (bit of a collector)
for the money the Gs665 scope with standard glass is very hard to beat,
used with an hdf 18x or hdf 25x this scope produces an excellent image, very bright clear and sharp with very little chromatic abberation. the body can be purchased from 'sherwoods' for £249. the GS665 is better than the bigger GS815.

steve.

Thanks Steve,

So, bearing in mind i don't want to fork out a lot of money all at once ie complete new set up. Do you think my body with an HDF eyepiece would be better than the 665 with my HR eyepiece?

I'd been pondering this concept as an alternative to buying all new. I have the classic IF 75. Are the HDF lenses compatible with this? Would the addition of one improve the image enough to negate the need to buy a better scope?

Tried the HDF eyepieces on my scope today. Whilst they are brighter and a bit sharper i don't think they warrant the extra expense. The best one i tried was £150. Money better spent on a better body i think.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back