• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Tripod Help! (1 Viewer)

Emma

We have had our Opticron tripod for just over a year now and recently it has started to 'wobble' at the point where the upper part of the tripod meets the monopod section ~ hope that makes sense!! We have had a look at it and cannot find anywhere to tighten this section up so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or if it will be a job for the professionals!!!

Any advice will be greatfully received!!

Emma,

I think you mean that the head is loosely attached to the centre column. I can't find a good enough image on the web, but it should be a screw fitting of some type. If it's flummoxed you I suggest taking it to the shop you got it from or if that's not possible contact Opticron customer service, which is outstanding.

Graham

Emma, I don't know if it is the bit you are referring to but the head on the tripod screws onto the centre column and can be completely unscrewed. On mine it was a bit loose when I bought it and the head wobbled about. I removed the column from the legs and used a couple of wrenches on the flanges each side of the head to column joint and nipped it up tightly. I put masking tape on the flanges first to protect them and took care not to overtighten it. It hasn't come loose since.

I hope this helps.

Ron

Last edited:
Emma,

I've also got this tripod with my ES80 scope. It took me a while to isolate the wobble but it is the tripod head which needs tightly screwed to the centre column. Good luck!

Dave

Thank you Graham, Ron and Dave for your replies! B :)

I will have a go at screwing the tripod head into the centre column a bit more and failing that I will see if the retailers where we got it from will have a look for us!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back