• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"Reach" 1D3 vs 30D vs 40D vs 50D (1 Viewer)

very intresting thread ,i had no ider the 50d image would be so much bigger .

Tim can you add a starling shot along side the others to show how it would look in size if taken with a 7D 18mp .
i carnt work it out not to great at maths :(
Rob

I don't have the original files any more so I can't magic up a simulated 7D image, and even if I could, it would look sh!te because it would have to be an upscaled image. However, the maths is quite simple. The long dimension of a 7D image is 5184 pixels vs 4752 of the 50D. The linear increase in size, when viewed at 100%, is 5184/4752 = 1.09. That's the equivalent of fitting a 1.09X teleconverter, but with no loss of light due to aperture reduction.

To put that another way - on my screen the 50D starling shot is about 90mm tall. The equivalent 100% crop from a 7D would be ~98mm tall.

Personally I could not care less for 18MP vs 15MP. It's too small a difference to be bothered one way or the other. What I am far more interested in is the noise performance. When you want to crop hard, which is often why birders buy these high resolution, cropped sensor cameras, it's no flipping use if noise kills the detail. The camera specs look great, but I shall be studying the reviews very carefully, regarding noise and AF performance particularly, before parting with my cash.

My 50D will handle the high resolution demands, at low ISO. My 1D3 will handle demanding AF situations and high ISO shooting. I'm not sure yet what the 7D will bring for me that I do not already have covered. The integrated wireless flash commander is a big bonus but I think video will be no more than a curiosity that will soon lose my interest. There are lots of other nice features, but nothing that will really sway a decision. For me it mostly comes dow to AF performance and IQ. The rest is just gravy. For those who have neither a 50D or a 1D3 I think the 7D is going to prove a very interesting camera indeed. Perhaps if I was starting from scratch, or only had an 40D or a lesser camera then the 7D would be a very strong contender as my next camera.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Tim, although not a lot it is a gain in size and thats worth having.
I do agree it has to have good noise control and AF but i have a mk3 for the flight shots so good AF above say the 40d would do for my needs
I just think the 7d would be good for the static type shots more than anything and it apears to offer lots for the outlay .
Really looking forward to real world results and hope it can deliver what we need.
Thanks again for the above.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back