• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40d Error 99 Problem.. Need Help Badly (1 Viewer)

Is the 40D that bad!! I wrote off my 30D on Sat. The 40D seemed the logical replacement however with this error 99 and the focusing problems with a 1.4x I'm begining to wonder. I would love to go 50D or better but with job loss looming it has to be a direct replacement. I have never had a problem with my 30D and am thinking of finding another 2nd hand. Any thoughts?
Rhod

the focusing problems with a 1.4x I'm begining to wonder. I would love to go 50D or
Rhod
Not sure what you mean by this Rhod. As far as I know there is no focusing problem with the 40D and 1.4tc. All the non series 1 cameras are designed to AF up to f5.6. If you are referring to using a taped tc with a f5.6 lens then you are trying to get the camera to do something it is not designed to do (e.g AF at f8). In this situation the 50D will be exactly the same as the 40D.

Having said that I use a taped 1.4tc with my 400/5.6 and 40D almost all the time and all though AF is nowhere near as good as the bare lens it is certainly usable. As already stated the 50D will not be any better Whatsover.

I also have a 30D and the taped tc with my 400/5.6 AF's just about the same as the 40D.

Hope this helps.

No the 40D is not that bad ! How many people on this forum do you know that have had problems with a 40D ? I think I can immediately think of at least four. I wonder how many 40D`s Canon have sold ? A bit of perspective needed I think !

Hi Roy

Thanks - I was under the impression the 30D with an f4.5 or 5.6 lens and taped tc focused reasonably while the 40D was a non starter. I know its not designed to focus at f8 but for id/record shots it's useful! Still kicking myself for the accident. Its a shame, I was getting on well with the camera.

John - would you say the 40D is a 'good' camera as opposed to 'not that bad'?

Still in shock

Rhod

Rhod

Yes I would say the 40D is a good camera. To date I have had my 40D approx. 18 months possibly and during that time I have had not the slightest problem with it. Now that is tempting fate ! If it all goes pear shaped tomorrow I shall definitely blame you Rhod......HaHa. And I suspect it is out of warranty. Aaargh I take it all back !!
I do look after my camera and especially my lenses.
P.S. I still don`t know how to use it either !

Hi Roy

Thanks - I was under the impression the 30D with an f4.5 or 5.6 lens and taped tc focused reasonably while the 40D was a non starter. I know its not designed to focus at f8 but for id/record shots it's useful! Still kicking myself for the accident. Its a shame, I was getting on well with the camera.

John - would you say the 40D is a 'good' camera as opposed to 'not that bad'?

Still in shock

Rhod

Rhod
Hi Rhod, my dealings with a taped tc and f5.6 lens is with the 400/5.6 so I cannot speak for other lenses - I have heard that the 100-400 zoom and taped tc does not AF very well on the 40D/50D. This is due to the enhanced centre focus point in these cameras - BTW AF with a taped tc using one of the outer focus points is OK.
This taped tc thing is very strange, with the 30D and 400/5.6 I found that the Kenko Pro worked better than the Canon but on the 40D I find that the Canon works best.

I would say the 40D is a superb Camera but if I was upgrading from a 20D/30D or a xxxD camera then I would go for the 50D if only for the AF micro adjust and extra pixels for more cropability. An upgrade from the 40D to 50D is less compelling IMO.

hi, I have today sent my beloved 40D back to WEX who will send to Canon. So we shall see how long It takes to repair It.

Thanks for your posts guys.

Sean.. Happy pancake day everyone

Add me to the error 99 club. Camera 17 months old. Will be contacting Cannon tomorrow. What happened to buying a camera and handing it on to the children when you upgrade? Still have a Minolta 101. It took a dunk in a river at 6mths old. Dried it out and 35 yrs later still going strong.
Missed out on Satin Bowerbird shots yesterday due to failure!!!!!

Error 99: Camera repaired by Canon under warranty in 14days. Replaced Shutter Assembly. Happy with the service and the function of camera on return. Assurances given that this was a rare occurrence.

Original post:
Add me to the error 99 club. Camera 17 months old. Will be contacting Cannon tomorrow. What happened to buying a camera and handing it on to the children when you upgrade? Still have a Minolta 101. It took a dunk in a river at 6mths old. Dried it out and 35 yrs later still going strong.
Missed out on Satin Bowerbird shots yesterday due to failure!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back