• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need a lens to fill gap 20mm to 150mm (1 Viewer)

Nikon Kid

Love them Sula Bassana
I will soon by hook or by crook of sold my canon 70-300mm, and want to fill the gap between my 10-20mm Sigma f3.5 and my Sigma 150mm f2.8.

I have picked out the following lenses to consider, all around the same price.

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
Canon 100mm f2.0
Sigma 70mm f2.8
Tamron 90mm f2.8

Also the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 but this is much more expensive

I know, you want to know what do a need it for, maybe Portraits and a general lens.

Any recommendations welcome.

I have both Tamrons you have listed and both are very sharp and give great results,the 90mm is a great macro lens but the 28-75mm will do for landscapes thats why i have both but i use the 90mm much more as im more into macro than landscapes lots of pics on my website taken with both these lenses Phill.

a bit of a dilemma there! I used to use a canon 100mm f2, and is deffinatly one i would suggest to fill a hole, its a cracking little lens.

For portraiture I'd certainly consider the 85mm f1.8.
Its a big gap to fill with one lens though so a 24-70/24-105 type zoom may be more useful than a prime.
One thing to consider though is if you like portraiture and landscapes then full frame may appeal one day and so buying lenses that only work on crop bodies may not be the best idea in the long term.

I can safely say I wont be going full frame, unless I won the lottery, then I would just buy one of each lens in the range. of cause the other consideration is keep the money to add to a 7d or 60d

I can safely say I wont be going full frame, unless I won the lottery, then I would just buy one of each lens in the range. of cause the other consideration is keep the money to add to a 7d or 60d

S/H 5D mk1s are becoming more reasonably priced, and if I'd got the cash would be more tempting to me than the latest range of gimmick laden crop bodies ;)

S/H 5D mk1s are becoming more reasonably priced, and if I'd got the cash would be more tempting to me than the latest range of gimmick laden crop bodies ;)

Paul I am so shallow, I love the gimmicks :king:

How does a macro lens fair with portrait and outside work, are you compromising say with a Canon 100mm f2.8 macro, which I can see coming down in price with the new lens been announced, and of cause it can be used for macro which I am enjoying at the moment.

If its for general use then why don't you check out the two new EF-S zooms that launched with the 7D. The 15-85mm might be too short but the 18-135mm could fit the bill.

If its for general use then why don't you check out the two new EF-S zooms that launched with the 7D. The 15-85mm might be too short but the 18-135mm could fit the bill.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, I had not read up on the new lenses, only the 7d, that looks like it fits the bill nicely. I will now be keeping a close watch on whats happening in the next few months regarding the 18-135mm thanks, Colin.

Of cause some body could buy the 7d bundle and sell me the 18-135mm cheap :-O

I will soon by hook or by crook of sold my canon 70-300mm, and want to fill the gap between my 10-20mm Sigma f3.5 and my Sigma 150mm f2.8.

I have picked out the following lenses to consider, all around the same price.

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
Canon 100mm f2.0
Sigma 70mm f2.8
Tamron 90mm f2.8

Also the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 but this is much more expensive

I know, you want to know what do a need it for, maybe Portraits and a general lens.

Any recommendations welcome.

No idea how it compares price wise but I have the Canon 24-105 and its a great lens.

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back