• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 40D (1 Viewer)

Geoff Haynes

Hello i have just bought a new Canon 40D after using a 450D.
I am not happy with the photos taken when i try to crop them or view them higher than about 33 percent, they seem to be very noisy and not very sharp.
It probably is only me being quite new to photography and not got the settings set up right, but they dont seem as good as the photos i had took with the 450D.
The lens i use is the 300L F4 with IS and 1.4 extender.
As anyone heard of any problems like this with the 40D ?
I have posted this image to show the results i am getting.
If anyone can advise me please reply, many thanks, Geoff.

Attachments

• Heron 40D.JPG
    Heron 40D.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 158
What are your settings on the 40D, Geoff?

I try to shoot in AV mode but have got myself in a bit of a stew trying all settings and still had same results ? here are a few settings for the Heron photo. Can you advise me of some basic settings for the 40D and is there anything in the menus that i should setup ?

Attachments

• 40D settings.JPG
    40D settings.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
How much of a crop is the heron shot? perhaps you could post one showing it uncropped too. I'd expect nice sharp shots from a 40D, noise shouldn't be an issue below ISO800...

How much of a crop is the heron shot? perhaps you could post one showing it uncropped too. I'd expect nice sharp shots from a 40D, noise shouldn't be an issue below ISO800...

Heron is cropped at 66.67 percent, Here is a full size image of Heron, resized down to 25 percent, so it would load on here!

Attachments

• _MG_0181 (972 x 648) 25 percent of original size2.jpg
    _MG_0181 (972 x 648) 25 percent of original size2.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
that's a different shot...

assuming the heron was a similar size in the frame then there is something not quite right going on. I'd expect the 40D with a 300 f4 to deliver nice sharp results, I wonder if there's a focusing issue. It would be worth taking a shot of a static subject - use a tripod, with a release or timer and see what the results are like. It is the easiest way to try and asses a potential issue.

that's a different shot...

assuming the heron was a similar size in the frame then there is something not quite right going on. I'd expect the 40D with a 300 f4 to deliver nice sharp results, I wonder if there's a focusing issue. It would be worth taking a shot of a static subject - use a tripod, with a release or timer and see what the results are like. It is the easiest way to try and asses a potential issue.

Sorry, my fault, so many Heron picks ! I have also just tried these shots outside ! And tried removing cheap Hoya UV filter on one photo !

Attachments

• 199.jpg
    199.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Cropped at 33 percent.JPG
    Cropped at 33 percent.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Cropped at 33 percent with out UV filter on lens.JPG
    Cropped at 33 percent with out UV filter on lens.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 117
would also be interested if cheap filters make a difference to iq, have been using a 70-200 f4 and not greatly impressed with results on a 450d but i do have a cheap kenko filter (uv) on. sorry if this is diverting thread geoff

would also be interested if cheap filters make a difference to iq, have been using a 70-200 f4 and not greatly impressed with results on a 450d but i do have a cheap kenko filter (uv) on. sorry if this is diverting thread geoff

the question of filters comes up every so often on here a quick look wil find a few threads and see just how divided opinions are... personally I do not like using UV filters on lens tests that I have done even mid price filters had a negative effect on image quality. If in doubt then take some test shots with and without the filter and see for yourself.

Just dug out some test shots I took when I got my 300 f4, taken without a 1.4x but using a 40D - I've attached full shots and crops, they were clearly nice close subjects but it does show that the 40D can nail detail.

Attachments

• mallard_0104.jpg
    mallard_0104.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 100
  • mallard_0104crop.jpg
    mallard_0104crop.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 97
  • herringgull_0146.jpg
    herringgull_0146.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 83
  • herringgull_0146crop.jpg
    herringgull_0146crop.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 72
Geoff

I noticed in the settings you posted that your shutter speed was 1/250th. I think that is a little on the slow side considering the focal distance you were shooting at - and you also have to bear in mind that the 40D is slightly heavier than the 450D so your hand would have to be really steady to get a very sharp shot.

I also noticed that you had +1/3rd exposure compensation for that shot. I would initially have left it at 0 and then possibly done a -1/3rd next to see how that looked, plus doing that, it would have increased your shutter speed.

It took me a while to become more familiar with my 40D when I first got it just over a year ago as it does handle quite differently (I feel) when going from either a 350D or 450D, so its worth getting lots of practice and tests to see if its user error or the camera needing a slight adjustment.

Re the other post about using filters, I bought one about 3 years ago for my 70-200 F4L (at the time was using my 350D) and there was quite a noticeable difference in the quality of the images - it was not what I classed a cheap filter at something around the £40 mark so I took it off and have never used it again.

Linda

1.4 Extender Issues

I have since tried removing the 1.4 Extender from the 300 f4L lens and the images are spot on and really sharp when they are viewed at 100 percent, has anyone else had trouble with 1.4 Extenders on the 40D ?

Thanks for all the previous remarks !

I have since tried removing the 1.4 Extender from the 300 f4L lens and the images are spot on and really sharp when they are viewed at 100 percent, has anyone else had trouble with 1.4 Extenders on the 40D ?

Thanks for all the previous remarks !
I have had great results with tc's on the 40D Geoff (though not with a 300/4). There is no doubt that extenders will reduce IQ a bit but I would have thought that a lens like the 300/4 would take a 1.4 very well.
Have you tried stopping down one to f8?

BTW which extender are you using?

I have had great results with tc's on the 40D Geoff (though not with a 300/4). There is no doubt that extenders will reduce IQ a bit but I would have thought that a lens like the 300/4 would take a 1.4 very well.
Have you tried stopping down one to f8?

BTW which extender are you using?

Canon 1.4 MkII Extender

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back