• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arne - Your opinion please (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
This winter I want to go birdwatching in the south - so see waders and wildfowls.
I particularly want to see avocets.

After a bit of reseach, RSPB Arne Natur Reserve seemed close enough and plenty of birds.

What birds am I likely to see there? I'm hoping to see:

Avocets
Spoonbills
Dartford warblers
Crossbills
Other waders and ducks!

but what is the chance of seeing those birds??

Also, if you can think of anywhere else good for waders(AVOCETS!!) please tell me.

Also, where else can I visit around Arne? I was thinking about the RSPB cruises on and around Poole Harbour - but I want your opinion!

Thanks!

This winter I want to go birdwatching in the south - so see waders and wildfowls.
I particularly want to see avocets.

After a bit of reseach, RSPB Arne Natur Reserve seemed close enough and plenty of birds.

What birds am I likely to see there? I'm hoping to see:

Avocets
Spoonbills
Dartford warblers
Crossbills
Other waders and ducks!

but what is the chance of seeing those birds??

Also, if you can think of anywhere else good for waders(AVOCETS!!) please tell me.

Also, where else can I visit around Arne? I was thinking about the RSPB cruises on and around Poole Harbour - but I want your opinion!

Thanks!

You will see Avocets at Arne. But you might need a scope to get really good views. They roost on the Middlebere channel at high tide (up to 800 birds) where Spoonbills are very regular also. There are only a few Spoonbills moving around a very large harbour but if you're there for more than a day you should catch up with them.

The whole area is really good for birding. Visit the National Trust hide at Middlebere, the other side of the channel from Arne, where I've seen Hen Harrier, Perergine, Yellow-legged Gull, Water Pipit etc. and also drop in at Durlston Country Park where there are Peregrines, still some passing seabirds, and there have been regularly wintering Black Redstarts and Firecrests (not always easy to see)

Another National Trust hide, on the Studland peninsula, overlooking Brand's Bay shoudl have good congregations of ducks and waders, and often divers. (I saw all three species there four years ago) The other side of the Studland peninsula, good numbers of Black-necked grebes and the odd Slavonian grebe are regular off Studland Beach.

Other species you should definitely spot all around the area with little effort include Brent Geese, Black-tailed and Bar-tailed Godwit, and Raven. Any of the heathland in the area, including the approaches to all the hides mentioned, can hold Dartford Warblers, although I understand numbers were reduced by the hard winters.

Further afield you might want to check out Hengistbury Head and Stanpit Marsh at Christchurch, or Keyhaven and Penninigton Marshes. Portland is not too far in the other direction either.

The Dorset coast is brilliant for winter birding. I'm making my fourth trip next week for a couple of days.

Graham

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back