• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian & An Irishman Go To Chew Valley Lake! (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
16-08-03

Padraig picked me up early this morning and we set off up the M5 to Chew Valley Lake after reports of a Blue-winged Teal and a few other special birds like Ferruginous Duck and Ruddy Shelduck. All those birds would be lifers for us. On the way we saw Common Buzzard and Peregrine Falcon within seconds of each other.

The first we saw of Chew Valley was Herons Green Bay and we observed many birds here. There was a raft of several Little Grebes and many Ruddy Ducks. The Ruddy Ducks were lifers for Padraig so the day had started well. Other birds included here were Northern Lapwings, Mallards, Eurasian Coots, Grey Herons, Black-headed Gulls, Great Black-backed Gulls, Tufted Ducks and Common Pochards. We crossed the road to view the small cut off pond and found Padriag’s second lifer of the day, a female Garganey as well as some Northern Shovelers.

Being our first visit to Chew, we were not sure where we were and our next stop was near Nunnery Point where we saw more birds before speaking to some anglers who kindly directed us to nearby Woodford Lodge for permits and maps. Here we added over a hundred Great Crested Grebes, a few Mute Swans, many Pied Wagtails, some Great Cormorants, Canada Geese and a few Herring Gulls. A few minutes later we had the permits and some useful information. We now could find our way to our intended destination, the hide at Stratford Bay.

It was noon when we got to Stratford Bay and a couple of birders were already in the hide eagerly watching some of our target birds. We were shown the female Blue-winged Teal feeding away very close to the hide on the damp shoreline. I immediately noticed the obvious features which were the pale spots just at the base of the dark gunmetal bill, the dark eyestripe and the scaly plumage finished off with pale orange legs. It was similar in size to the Eurasian Teals around it and very much smaller than the Mallards. This was a very good lifer for both of us. There were literally thousands of ducks all over the vast lake on view in front of us.

We were told the Ferruginous Duck and the Ring-necked were out there. I could see lots of Gadwall and some Barnacle Geese flew past. We struggled to find our ducks but after some assistance from a generous birder we located the eclipse drake Ferruginous Duck among a small loose flock of Common Pochards. It was a very brief and distant view but I glimpsed the dark bird with a white patch on the rear under the tail as well as a hint of a white eye ring. It was all over in a flash as the bird soon got lost among the many ducks. I was now very happy having got two lifers so far to add to my slowly growing British list and this was Padraig‘s fourth of the day.

We now set about looking for the Ring-necked Duck and once again struggled in the alien conditions of such a vast space and so many birds. Our new found friend came to our assistance again and we soon realised why we could not find it. The eclipse drake Ring-necked Duck was napping with it’s head in it’s back. We could see the trademark crown peaking at the rear. When it briefly shook it’s head the black tip with a faint white band was discernable. This was Padraig’s fifth lifer of the day which was good going. A juvenile Common Greenshank fed to the right of the hide.

We were given advice on the possible whereabouts of the Ruddy Shelduck and set off for the East Shore Hide via Bishop Sutton. Padraig met some friends who joined us at the Bernard King Hide. Here there was very little to be seen and the only new additions were a small number of Common Sandpipers, Lesser Black-backed Gulls and a single Yellow-legged Gull. Padraig was busy chatting to his friends and missed out on this bird which I later discovered would have been the sixth lifer for him. Not to worry as he should see one on the Exe this winter. There was no sign of the Ruddy Shelduck but we were pushed for time and had to return home to Devon. The bird could wait till another day.

Back home I was really pleased to see my British List go up to one hundred and eighty four birds. I was miffed though, to learn that the Ruddy Shelduck showed up fifteen minutes after we left the Stratford Hide!

A good report Andrew on your days birding with Padraig, pleased to hear you got your lifers. Well you maybe surprised to know that i have never been to Chew, after reading this i think i should do.

Thank you for sharing your day with us.

Wonderful report Andrew and such a really good selection of sightings. I just might be tempted to apply for a passport to visit Somerset. Many thanks. :t:

Leave your Porsche behind as there are speed restrictions all over Zummerzet! The headiest speed they have is 40mph!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back