• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (20 Viewers)

Can only make it four fingers so Osprey for me as well - species #100 for August

Not sure I can agree with the ID Phil. Firstly the picture is out of focus lacking definition, secondly there appears no barring to the tail and the hand seems pretty narrow, tail seems very juvenile buzzard like with a pale patch. On the flashes this evening was a very young buzzard food begging from an accompanying adult when it landed in a dead tree behind the third flash. This bird is very pale and with a markedly pale head dependent on the light, and as a juvenile did not show a terminal band, also as a juvenile the full hand may not have fully developed to show the full set, what do others think.

The 13 gulls are Iceland, Herring, Glaucous, GBB, LBB, Med, Common, Black-headed, Yellow-legged, Laughing, Sabine's, Little and Kittiwake.

Cant add a lot to this Phil
Education reserve : - chiffchaff 9, blackcap 2,
Flashes:- Shoveler 2
Moors: - little grebe 12, tufted c100+ (incl chicks/juvs), kingfisher, sand martin 10, sedge warbler east and west sides,
North Moors:- water rail, as Phil alluded to, the sheltered east side held a lot of passerines, incl - willow warbler chiffchaff 6, blackcap 2, several finches.

John

To add swift at Moors c 5.15 also 6 + sand martin 2 jays North Moors. Sailing pool held upwards of 30 swallow 15 house martin and 4 sand martin at 6.30pm

Not sure I can agree with the ID Phil. Firstly the picture is out of focus lacking definition, secondly there appears no barring to the tail and the hand seems pretty narrow, tail seems very juvenile buzzard like with a pale patch. On the flashes this evening was a very young buzzard food begging from an accompanying adult when it landed in a dead tree behind the third flash. This bird is very pale and with a markedly pale head dependent on the light, and as a juvenile did not show a terminal band, also as a juvenile the full hand may not have fully developed to show the full set, what do others think.

Hi Paul - thanks for your comments; any other thoughts out there?

The reserve appears to be going through a bit of a quiet lull at the moment although I am sure it will pick up before the end of the month. To help us through this period how about a quick game of Family Fortunes; how many of these groupings have you seen at Upton:

Geese - 7 species
Ducks - 23 species
Raptors - 13 species (dont think anyone will Strike It Lucky with a clean [supermarket] sweep)
Waders - 34 species
Gulls - 13 pecies
Terns - 8 species (given two of species were only recorded in the 70s I think were playing the Generation Game here)
Owls - 5 species
Pipits - 5 species (I suspect only JHWR has hit the Bullseye)
Warblers - 14 species
Finches - 11 species

Unfortunately we will never know definitively what (Mr and Mrs) Arthur Jacobs saw.

Sorry Phil. Came late to this item. I now realize the red figures are John's.

Des.

Phil has just left and i am about to go. There are no other birders on site. Any one coming to relieve me . Mid August should be heaving with people . Is there8-P anyone out there

Sorry John but the famous Worcester City was a greater calling today as we played our first game at Shaggborough -we lost 3-1.I will be back at the mecca early on Monday morning

management work next week

The Trust will be starting some overdue management work at the Flashes. This work will begin on Tuesday morning. There will be disturbance in some areas, I will find out exactly where they area working.
To overcome this, we will be providing alternative wader habitat at the Moors (Amy's marsh). I have fully opened the sluice at the Moors today. On Tuesday morning starting at 8am we will be strimming the main island (pool island) in Amy's marsh scrape. By the time work starts at the Flashes Amy's should be ready to accept any disturbed waders. But even if there is no disturbance, then any passing waders should be able to find some muddy shore line.

The work at the Flashes, is vital to the long term benefit of the wader habitat there. So any disturbance is going to be worth it in the long run.
All the breeding species have now fledged from Amy's marsh, so anything disturbed will fly or swim to safety. If anyone can spare an hour or two on Tuesday it will be very much appreciated.B :)John
It is reassuring to know that Belvide's Steve Nuttall, has commented about the poor wader passage at present at his site.

Last edited:
last weeks

trying a new camera at mo, but realised i had forgot last weeks pics nothing to add from today.

Attachments

• DSC02825.JPG
    DSC02825.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02844.JPG
    DSC02844.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC02912.JPG
    DSC02912.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02942.JPG
    DSC02942.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC02968.JPG
    DSC02968.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 86
Vern - your comment with regard to your excellent Snipe picture gives the impression that i copied a photo of yours without giving you credit. As you well know i used your photo to illustrate the fact that there had been a minor infux of Clouded Yellows. You were credited as the photographer and UW was noted as the location.

I do not have a problem with an image that you have placed in the public domain and is merely used to illustrate a point, a lot of photographers would have been pleased with this. I could have used a 'stock' photo but i thought that highlighting the work of a local photographer would be better. If i had thought for one minute that you would have felt slighted by the use (and acknowledgement) of your photo then i would'nt have bothered. I certainly wo'nt be bothering again..........

Methinks you doth complain too much.

ATB Laurie:t:

Surprisingly pleasant weather on the Flashes yesterday evening, though nothing out of the ordinary to report on the bird front.

We saw this Mother of Pearl walking back past the Sailing Pool after sunset, whose wings have gone translucent with age.

Attachments

• Mother of Pearl translucent comp.jpg
    Mother of Pearl translucent comp.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 72
Vern - your comment with regard to your excellent Snipe picture gives the impression that i copied a photo of yours without giving you credit. As you well know i used your photo to illustrate the fact that there had been a minor infux of Clouded Yellows. You were credited as the photographer and UW was noted as the location.

I do not have a problem with an image that you have placed in the public domain and is merely used to illustrate a point, a lot of photographers would have been pleased with this. I could have used a 'stock' photo but i thought that highlighting the work of a local photographer would be better. If i had thought for one minute that you would have felt slighted by the use (and acknowledgement) of your photo then i would'nt have bothered. I certainly wo'nt be bothering again..........

Methinks you doth complain too much.

ATB Laurie:t:

Its the fact that you TAKE without asking thats just plain RUDE i`m glad you wont be doing it again (JUST FOR THE RECORD IT WAS MORE THAN ONE YOU COPIED). saying you used upton as its location i recall ermmmmm a goldfish bowl .....:-O if you take someones photo crop there name of THERE photo then say you credited the picture to them ...why take there name of there own work in the first place? Manners cost nothing try using them maybe you will find that you get along with others much better instead of just helping yourself. ps i dont take photos to get credited for them as you suggest i take a few ok (thousands) of snaps for my local patch to help with AGAIN THERE records HENCE thats why i place them on the UPTON WARREN FORUM

Last edited:
Rules from the Bird Forum Gallery - I am sure it also applies to general posts elsewhere on BF:

Copyright

All photos posted in the gallery, and uploaded to the forums, are the property of the original photographer and must not be reproduced in any format without the express written permission of the photographer. Only upload photos that you have taken yourself.

The simplest way is just to link the individual post that contains the photograph, then the photographer and location is noted as well as the context in which the shot was posted.

Last edited:
I left a small black Nike bag in one of the hides at the flashes about an hour ago, If any anyone knows of its location could you please message me on here, I know it's a long shot, thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back