• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (11 Viewers)

Not a huge amount seen on either cruise. Apart from the already mentioned sooties, just odd passing arctic skua and manx, plus gannet, fulmar, great black-backed, etc.

When we hit the herring shoal I thought they'd be a good chance of a feeding frenzy. Instead probably 10-12 birds, virtually all great black-backed gulls, with the odd couple of gannets.

Doesn't take much imagination to see if you hit it right, could be superb. The first cruise was around the time Fea's petrel & black-browed were seen down the Yorkshire coast. Just being at sea gives some real possiblities.

Last edited:
LDV today

Managed nice selection today;highlights Marsh Harrier, 2 green sands, 1 snipe, 100+ golden plover, 400+ teal,2 Little Egrets and 10 Wigeon;Least think they were wigeon,photo attached, ?in eclipse plumage,never seen 'em like this before.

Attachments

• goldenplover2.jpg
    goldenplover2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 84
  • marshharrier2.jpg
    marshharrier2.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 81
  • marshharrier3.jpg
    marshharrier3.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 84
  • marshharrier4.jpg
    marshharrier4.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 85
  • wigeon1.jpg
    wigeon1.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 103
The Pugneys pectoral sandpiper was standing on the mud directly in front of the cafe / visitor centre this morning. It was giving extremely close views at around 10 am.

We may have been in the hide at the same time then !! I was in there about 10 minutes after it came through on the walkie talkie !!

Dave,
I found out later from the lad with the long lens that you were sat in between us, I asked you about your scope, I have the same. Anyway, nice to meet you.............;)

Buff-breasted Sand stiil in grass field west of thornwick bay this afternoon, 3 skein's of Pink Foot south 75,26,16 respectively, 1 Swift east towards thornwick bay, and Hobby still around the cliffs west of thornwick

Hobby003edited.jpg

Dave,
I found out later from the lad with the long lens that you were sat in between us, I asked you about your scope, I have the same. Anyway, nice to meet you.............;)

Ah yes !! I remember you now !!

Very nice to meet you too .. Funny how we go to different places birding and are with members from here without actually realising it ... Maybe we should have some kind of secret sign like the Masons ...

I now have a mental picture of seeing folk in the hide with 1 trouser leg rolled up ..

Strange ...

Dipped the buff-breast today. Should have been here 5 mins ago job. Got nice views of wheatears though. Up in the moors yesterday had the usual candidates in forge valley plus a nice male Gos above the valley. Up at Wykeham there were tonnes of Siskin plus plenty of Crossbills.

Dirty twitching at the moment. Pec Sand tonight is an absolute cracker pity the light was so poor by the time I'd managed to get there, would imagine there'll be some corking shots of it.

Did the American Black Tern yesterday, obviously different from a normal Black Tern but still a good call from someone. Highlight of yesterday though came while I was waiting for the BT to come closer to the edge of the reservoir, just in front of me flashed a Merlin doing the Mistle Thrush thing - wanted to see that for ages.

Dirty twitching at the moment. Pec Sand tonight is an absolute cracker pity the light was so poor by the time I'd managed to get there, would imagine there'll be some corking shots of it.

Did the American Black Tern yesterday, obviously different from a normal Black Tern but still a good call from someone. Highlight of yesterday though came while I was waiting for the BT to come closer to the edge of the reservoir, just in front of me flashed a Merlin doing the Mistle Thrush thing - wanted to see that for ages.

What time did you get there, failing light put me off trying but if the bird is around tomorrow I could be tempted?

Got there about half five, stayed for about an hour. Pretty murky for most of the time and a late blast of sunshine was a bit too late and too yellow to help with any snaps... and it was straight into Lawts eyes.

What time did you get there, failing light put me off trying but if the bird is around tomorrow I could be tempted?

It could be away..... it had been feeding well all day and ignoring all comers, some blokes I saw there were as close as 3mtrs with cameras. One bloke, who had a big 600mm lens said he'd had to move back from 2mtrs to get it in focus.....!! It must have been hungry...?
Joe :t:

Jim some nice light later on. I sat really still and it walked past me within a couple of yards - got some cracking shots even if I say so!

Dirty twitching is the Sandhill B :)

When this has been raised before it's thought that they originate from the Flamingoland flock which winter either around Whitton Sands on the Humber or around Hornsea Mere

This the common assumption but doesn't explain the bird seen winter 2009/10 at Hornsea Mere that had been ringed on the Solway. Humber population is probably self sustaining anyway so category C.

Spotlight on Buzzards

Took advantage of nice weather.Several Buzzards at Redhouse, including 2 presumably sparring and a very pale juvenile, which definitely had me going for a minute or two!

Attachments

• buzzard4.jpg
    buzzard4.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 56
  • buzzard5.jpg
    buzzard5.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 56
  • buzzard6.jpg
    buzzard6.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 65
  • buzzard7.jpg
    buzzard7.jpg