• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 128RC Head fault (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
Just wondered if anybody had experienced and managed to fix a fault which has just occurred with the above head. No matter how tight I turn the horizontal hold turn screw (for lack of a better name) the head will not tighten sufficiently to support my Leica 77 (which it used to). I have had the relevant bits off the head, there is not much to them, I thought that perhaps to lubricant used to allow smooth movement has degraded thus allowing movement when non was wanted. Any help much appreciated. I know that my last resort will be sending it for repair but am trying to avoid being without a usable tripod.

Are the three grub screws within the centre column circular base/platform sufficiently tightened into the base of the 128rc head? Also there should be a spring washer to aid tension between the horizontal locking knob and the unit. Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks Pyrtle, After further investigation it seems the threads have worn out on the inside of the rotating wheel. Well I guess I've had six or seven years out of it. It the knackers yard I'm afraid. Anyone got a 701RC2 for sale?

Don't give up on it yet! I've had mine for well over 15 years and it's still going strong. In fact I've just bought another on ebay as I like it so much!

I recently had to order a spare locking knob and camera screw for mine (the 128LP version) and they arrived in less than a week.

Call Johnson's Photopia (who handle spares for Manfrotto) on 0870 443 6843, describe the problem and I reckon they'll sort it for you for under a tenner with postage included. Probably the only tools you'll need are a set of Allen keys and a screwdriver. The guy I spoke to recently was the same one I dealt with last year when I lost the pan handle off it, he was very laid-back and helpful to deal with.
Hope this is helpful, Steve.

Don't give up on it yet! I've had mine for well over 15 years and it's still going strong. In fact I've just bought another on ebay as I like it so much!

I recently had to order a spare locking knob and camera screw for mine (the 128LP version) and they arrived in less than a week.

Call Johnson's Photopia (who handle spares for Manfrotto) on 0870 443 6843, describe the problem and I reckon they'll sort it for you for under a tenner with postage included. Probably the only tools you'll need are a set of Allen keys and a screwdriver. The guy I spoke to recently was the same one I dealt with last year when I lost the pan handle off it, he was very laid-back and helpful to deal with.
Hope this is helpful, Steve.

Thanks for the advice and information Steve, I will give Johnson's Photopia a call. I'm rather attached to the 128.

Mick

Let us Know how you get on,
Steve

Just ordered that required parts from Johnson's Photopia, £20 inc postage to get me up and running again. Very helpful chap and a good service, would recommend to other Manfrotto users who might require spare parts. Thanks again Steve.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back