• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

I'm up north again this weekend - hoping that the Wood Sandpipers hold on at Saltholme for a little longer ( and that the Little Stint that has reappeared hangs on too ). Both would be lifers for me

But hoping to add a couple to the year list too including the Little Terns at Crimdon Dene.

I'm not too familiar with the Hartlepool area - was wondering if somebody could give me some directions from Saltholme so that we could view these fabulous birds.

Also - does anyone have a reliable site for Tawny Owl they could PM me. I dipped my 'banker' site in Lincoln this last weekend

Thank you

Mal Skelton

Wren in the Kitchen.

Had a little visitor in our kitchen on Saturday. I must have come in through the open door and couldn't find its way back out so kept flying into the window. I managed to gently place a tea towel over it to keep it still then got hold of it and released it in the garden ( after grabbing a quick shot first;)).

Finally can someone confirm that the last shot is indeed my first Great Skua?
Taken on a boat fishing trip just off Crimdon beach:t:

Attachments

• Wren 1.jpg
    Wren 1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Wren 2.jpg
    Wren 2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Great Skua.jpg
    Great Skua.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 78
Had a little visitor in our kitchen on Saturday. I must have come in through the open door and couldn't find its way back out so kept flying into the window. I managed to gently place a tea towel over it to keep it still then got hold of it and released it in the garden ( after grabbing a quick shot first;)).

Finally can someone confirm that the last shot is indeed my first Great Skua?
Taken on a boat fishing trip just off Crimdon beach:t:

Yep its a Great Skua.:t:

i was walking down to the metal bridge near the ruins at bearpark tonight, two guys were on there with rifles facing the water and one was on a walkie talkie, i walked past and the look on there faces was like dam of all the luck wev been caught, now i want to know has any one seen these two around they took off when i continued on the public footpath which they were facing in a blue rover, they were waitng to shoot something but what

I'm up north again this weekend - hoping that the Wood Sandpipers hold on at Saltholme for a little longer ( and that the Little Stint that has reappeared hangs on too ). Both would be lifers for me

But hoping to add a couple to the year list too including the Little Terns at Crimdon Dene.

I'm not too familiar with the Hartlepool area - was wondering if somebody could give me some directions from Saltholme so that we could view these fabulous birds.

Also - does anyone have a reliable site for Tawny Owl they could PM me. I dipped my 'banker' site in Lincoln this last weekend

Thank you

Mal Skelton

A Wood Sandpiper and a Little Stint were still present today at Saltholme.

I find the easiest way to reach Crimdon Dene is to head up the A19 to the A179 Hart/Hatlepool turn off and then take the A1086 Blackhall Road north. Follow it for about three miles and as you cross the bridge over the Dene turn left under the viaduct and alongside the caravan park - it's signposted. Follow the road over the speed humps and along the cliff top to it's end. Loads of car parking there. You can't miss the paths down to the beach - Map

A lot of the Terns have already departed but there should still be a good few around.

RSPB Saltholme - am - Green Sandpiper on Bottom Tank. Wren pair at same location beside the screen.

Paddy's Pool - 10.25am - Peregrine Falcon - adult heading west towards Haverton Hole.

Saltholme Hide - 10.45 am - Little Stint, Greenshank and Wood Sandpiper.

Dormans Pool - 6.35 pm - Marsh Harrier juv (same one as last few days) flew in from north to hunt and headed off back north after 30 mins after making a kill.

Attachments

• IMG_2419ao.jpg
    IMG_2419ao.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2077aoa.jpg
    IMG_2077aoa.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2176ao.jpg
    IMG_2176ao.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2572ao.jpg
    IMG_2572ao.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2583ao.jpg
    IMG_2583ao.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 56
When does the Durham Bird Report get published? Is it published yearly and is it something that anyone can purchase?

Would be very interested in looking at it.

Matt

More Help with ID

I have taken some more photos of birds which I saw at Low Barns and also at Saltholme.I have looked through my books etsc but try as I might I am still not 100% certain that I have identified them correctly. I am sure none of the birds are difficult to recognise and I have ideas of what they are but I still would appreciate some help. I would like to post the photos on the forum for the help but before I do will it annoy anyone (as I feel my previous requests did to some people). If anyone objects then I will not post the photos.

Noel

Whiskered Tern juvenile at RSPB Saltholme this morning. Showing well from the layby over Saltholme West pond. Mostly asleep/preening on the causeway but seen in flight several times as it fed.

Also Ruff x2 and Little Stint along the causeway.

Attachments

• IMG_2912ao.jpg
    IMG_2912ao.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2958ao.jpg
    IMG_2958ao.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3042ao.jpg
    IMG_3042ao.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_3063ao.jpg
    IMG_3063ao.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2929ao.jpg
    IMG_2929ao.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 77
When does the Durham Bird Report get published? Is it published yearly and is it something that anyone can purchase?

Would be very interested in looking at it.

Matt

The 2009 Annual report of the Durham Bird Club will be available around September. All members receive a copy and non-members can purchase a copy for £9.

I have taken some more photos of birds which I saw at Low Barns and also at Saltholme.I have looked through my books etsc but try as I might I am still not 100% certain that I have identified them correctly. I am sure none of the birds are difficult to recognise and I have ideas of what they are but I still would appreciate some help. I would like to post the photos on the forum for the help but before I do will it annoy anyone (as I feel my previous requests did to some people). If anyone objects then I will not post the photos.

Noel

Dont be daft, feel free to post them I'm sure there's plenty of us happy to help and if anyone wants to object then thats their problem.

Noel

Noel
Get your pictures posted I'm sure no one will object. We all ask for help at some time. as you get more experienced you will need less help. If anyone has a problem with you asking for help they shouldn't be on a public forum.:C

Paul

Noel

We do have a separate Bird Identification forum but there's no problem posting photos for identification in this thread of birds taken within the County.

Noel

I have found that most people are more than happy to help. Ignore those that are not.

Steve C

Noel

Well done for persevering.
Not the easiest time of year to put names to birds - song tailing off, full leaf cover, many adult birds very busy feeding young, moulting birds keeping their heads down, confusing juvenile plumages, eclipse drakes, passage waders which are often seldom seen.

One thing we've learned from this forum over the years is:- No-one can put a name to every bird they've seen in the field.
and:-
quite often photographs arent much help - especially if they're as bad as mine ;-)

Best way forward is ask other birders when your out, get palled up with other birders & keep at it.

Imho, its what wild birds do, not what species they are that makes them so interesting.

Your last set of pics didnt seem to annoy anyone did they?
Looking forward to viewing your images.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

att'd is an image of a 1st brood juvenile Moorhen tending to one of its parents 2nd brood youngsters.

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Mhens_26_JULY_2010-007.gif
    Mhens_26_JULY_2010-007.gif
    202.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
A White-rumped Sandpiper turned up as well this afternoon along the causeway at RSPB Saltholme plus around 20 Black-tailed Godwit one of which is colour ringed - it's been reported via BTO.

A White-rumped Sandpiper has been reported on Birdguides as being at Greatham Creek this evening as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3240a.jpg
    IMG_3240a.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3242a.jpg
    IMG_3242a.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3223a.jpg
    IMG_3223a.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3255a.jpg
    IMG_3255a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 59
Bird Id

Many thanks for responding to my request. I dont want to start becoming a nuisance and bothering people too much when out and about.The first set of pictures are attached.
The first two I thought was some kind of warbler.
The next three I think are Yellow Wagtails but the spots on the bird in the third photo has given me some doubt.

Attachments

• IMG_1952.JPG
    IMG_1952.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2101.JPG
    IMG_2101.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 54
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back