• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Black Phoebe (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

Or is it strange? I am sure it is a Black Phoebe (the shape of the white on the breast) but I have never seen one that was such a light brown color. Is this normal and have I missed something before? None of my bird references show this color.

This phot was taken in Big Bend, NP in Texas in early May.

Attachments

• 605-5393fem Black Phoebe.jpg
    605-5393fem Black Phoebe.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
This looks about the same colour as the Black Phoebes I was seeing in California last year. I think it depends a bit how the light catches the plumage.

Agree with Matt, and some as in this photo have a rather brownish cast to them. Perhaps this is a younger bird since you say it was shot in early May? They do have quite a bit of brown on the back and wings. Nice shot with the catch light in the eye!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back