• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What should I buy (1 Viewer)

Michael Hogan

Acroperus
I have decided (I think) to sell my Nikon D80, 18-135mm f3.5, 300m f4 and Kenko 1.4x converter, and buy Canon gear. I think I'll go for the new 40D and (the main reason for switching) a 500mm f4 IS L. What else should I get. I would love the 300 f2.8 IS but I'm not made of money so I was thinking of the 300 f4 IS L. Is it a good lens. This would be my main walk around handheld birding lens. I also need a shorter wider zoom like the 18-135 Nikon. Should I go for the 40D + 17-85 kit or just the 40D body and the 24-105 f4 IS L or should I forget about the 300 f4 and go for the 28-300 f3.4 IS L. I will also get a 1.4x converter.

BTW - offers accepted for the Nikon kit, D80 1 year old, 300 F4 3 month old. All boxed and perfect.

Thanks

The 40D/500mm f/4 combo would be utterly bl**dy fantastic Michael - there's simply no question about that.

The Canon 300mm f/4 is a magic little lens - optically the equivalent of the Nikon (which is excellent, as you know) - but with the addition of IS.

There's the 400mm f/5.6 of course - light and sharp, but without IS, and with a longer minimum focusing distance - and then there's my favourite, the 100-400mm, which just does everything well and which is supremely versatile.

I recently got the 500 f4 - you'll love it, it's an outstanding lens.

Other lenses to buy really comes down to personal preference - I've twice come close to buying the 300 f4 IS and on both occassion gone for something else (first a 100-400 then a 400 f5.6). They are all good lenses but as I am mainly shooting birds I decided I wanted more reach and that I'd almost always use a 1.4x on the 300 f4 so went for the 400mm option instead. I've only just got the 400 f5.6 (last week), so far I really like it - very fast focusing, nice and sharp wide open. It's a well balanced lens and works very well as a walkabout, seems to take a 1.4x tc (with pins taped) quite well, which is a bonus.

As for the shorter lenses, I came close to buying a 24-105 IS earlier in the year, and probably should have done so. Instead I went for a 28-70 f2.8 as I wanted the f2.8 for portraits. It's also worth thinking about whether you want a macro or a super wide anlge... there's lots to spend your money on!

I have decided (I think) to sell my Nikon D80, 18-135mm f3.5, 300m f4 and Kenko 1.4x converter, and buy Canon gear. I think I'll go for the new 40D and (the main reason for switching) a 500mm f4 IS L. What else should I get. I would love the 300 f2.8 IS but I'm not made of money so I was thinking of the 300 f4 IS L. Is it a good lens. This would be my main walk around handheld birding lens. I also need a shorter wider zoom like the 18-135 Nikon. Should I go for the 40D + 17-85 kit or just the 40D body and the 24-105 f4 IS L or should I forget about the 300 f4 and go for the 28-300 f3.4 IS L. I will also get a 1.4x converter.

BTW - offers accepted for the Nikon kit, D80 1 year old, 300 F4 3 month old. All boxed and perfect.

Thanks

Hi Michael,

I haven't found 28 wide enough, don't think 24 would be enough different. 17-85 and 100-400 sound a good combination. The 17-85 is quite slow and some folk are a bit underwhelmed by the quality. 17-55 f2.8 gets much better reviews in those respects but costs ...

Mike.

Hi Michael,

I haven't found 28 wide enough, don't think 24 would be enough different. 17-85 and 100-400 sound a good combination. The 17-85 is quite slow and some folk are a bit underwhelmed by the quality. 17-55 f2.8 gets much better reviews in those respects but costs ...

Mike.
If you want proper wide angle then the 10-22 is the canine's gonads. It fits in well with my lens collection - 10-22, 24-105, 100-400, 60mm f2.8 macro and 50mm f1.8.

If you want proper wide angle then the 10-22 is the canine's gonads.
Yes, I use that to fill the gap below my 28-135. It is a superb lens. What I don't like is having to change lenses right in the middle of normal working range. It is expensive too, even 2nd hand. I think similar money gets you a 17-55 which as well as covering the standard range quite well offers f2.8. It has a similar "L without weathersealing" reputation to the 10-22.

17-85 is not the same quality as either, not the same speed as the 17-55, but it has a bit more range and is considerably cheaper - and loads of 2nd hand copies available.

I haven't highlighted IS (the 10-22 is the only one of these three that doesn't have it) as it is irrelevant. IS would have virtually zero benefit with such a short lens.

I already have two bodies so I don't have to take my bird lens off. I don't really want to carry 3. I reckon I am carrying too many lenses. Want to help OP avoid the same situation. After all, there is a "theory" that the number of photos you take is inversely related to the number of lenses you carry. I see sense in that :)

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back