• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-headed Gull (1 Viewer)

Shirley Roulston

Got a photo of this gull with one long silver ring and a much smaller ring. Sorry, but I cannont read any numbers. Was this Black-headed gull ringed in Britain does anyone know.

Attachments

• Ringed BHgull.jpg
    Ringed BHgull.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 55
I don't think you can get anything from this image. If you have a higher resolution/RAW image you should be able to crop and adjust the exposure/highlight/sharpness to read the larger colour ring (likely white with black letters/numbers) If you can get the letter/number colour confirmed as black, and then work out the number/letter sequence order LNLL, NLLL etc then you can use the Euring website to find the country of origin.

For example a BHG I saw in Arundel, West Sussex with a white ring and black letters/number LLNN (JY55) was from a Norwegian scheme. (see photo attached)

Mick

Attachments

• Dec15-002UK.jpg
    Dec15-002UK.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 36
White rings also put on BHG in Poland. Importantly, don't think anyone puts white rings on them in the UK. The metal ring also doesn't look like the same material used on E-size rings in Britain.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back