• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1DMK3 Problem's (1 Viewer)

Not a problem as such, but something I am quite surprised at.
My 1d mkIII works as expected with my 100-400is and kenko 1.4x tc, ie no tape on the pins, full af and reports f6.3 - f8.
However swapping the 100-400 for my Sigma 500mm f4.5 without the pins taped on the tc, sometimes the aperture reports f4.5 sometimes f6.3 but the AF is always useless. Tape the pins and everything works fine. AF is very fast but obviously the aperture reported is wrong.

So does the 1d body AF up to f8 theory only work with Canon lenses?

Paul

not that im aware off it says will focus down to f8 it does NOT say only with canon lenses .
i think if that was the case they would have put a note about it .
Rob.

Only thing i can think of, is the Sigma firmware needing to be updated again ?

One of the problems of being a 3rd party manufacturer, if something changes slightly on the Camera, and its not implemented 100% in the Lens, it may not report correctly.

May be talking out of me bum though, so maybe ignore me ;)

Not a problem as such, but something I am quite surprised at.
My 1d mkIII works as expected with my 100-400is and kenko 1.4x tc, ie no tape on the pins, full af and reports f6.3 - f8.
However swapping the 100-400 for my Sigma 500mm f4.5 without the pins taped on the tc, sometimes the aperture reports f4.5 sometimes f6.3 but the AF is always useless. Tape the pins and everything works fine. AF is very fast but obviously the aperture reported is wrong.

Paul

I seemed to remember another BF'er having the same issue with this lens and tc when he got a 1Ds mk II. It would be interesting to see if you still have problems when using a Sigma or Canon 1.4x tc.

I seemed to remember another BF'er having the same issue with this lens and tc when he got a 1Ds mk II. It would be interesting to see if you still have problems when using a Sigma or Canon 1.4x tc.

thanks guys for the thoughts. Its no trouble obviously to leave the tape on and i'll try scrounging the use of some other tc's and see what happens.

Paul

Well i finaly got out :) as i said earlyer i though my mk3 seemed ok and it did i got some great shots with it :) but its not :(
i gave it a very good test on jet's and got a few good sharp shot's but got more OOF shots .
the camera goes back to the shop tomorrow its a great camera in every other way but what good is that if your shots not sharp.
if anyone was thinking of getting one i would say waite i thought 4 months after the first problem's showed up would have been long enough to hopefully get one that works .
Not so.
Rob.

Very impressed with mine. Works beatifully. In particular, I am impressed by the performance with a 500/4 and a Canon 2X converter. Setting cf III - 8 to 2 (surrounding assist points) is well worthwhile.

Well, I guess those last two posts prove that its a lottery buying MkIIIs. And I reckon that stinks, are you listening Canon!!

Looks as if I might get a chance to tell them

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/canonroadshow/seminars_Birmingham12.html

Just booked my place on the mkIII seminar

Got to say that so far in One shot and AI Servo on slowish moving subjects my mkIII is still stunning me with the results, but flight shots.... the jury's out so any help or info from the seminar I think will be good

Last edited:
Looks as if I might get a chance to tell them

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/canonroadshow/seminars_Birmingham12.html

Just booked my place on the mkIII seminar

Got to say that so far in One shot and AI Servo on slowish moving subjects my mkIII is still stunning me with the results, but flight shots.... the jury's out so any help or info from the seminar I think will be good

my problem was with in A1 servo, often it worked fine but then it just would not focus even pumping the shutter button would not help .
Then when i tested it on Jets using 1/4000 sec with a 500f4 isL It was hopeless the first 10 or so shots of a burst were not sharp ,i took a cd into the shop and he said it should have got most of the shots with ease.
Rob.

Another one bites the dust

Well ,my mkIII's dead.
Took it to Duxford for the airshow and a few minutes into the Red Arrows show opening routine the shutter stopped working and Err 99 was displayed.
Took the battery out, tried resetting everything but all to no avail.

Looking into the camera with the lens off revealed the problem. Press the shutter button and the mirror goes up but the shutter stays put.

So its going back. Did I really pay the best part of 3 grand for this complete pile of garbage?

Not happy, not happy at all. :-C

Well ,my mkIII's dead.
Took it to Duxford for the airshow and a few minutes into the Red Arrows show opening routine the shutter stopped working and Err 99 was displayed.
Took the battery out, tried resetting everything but all to no avail.

Looking into the camera with the lens off revealed the problem. Press the shutter button and the mirror goes up but the shutter stays put.

So its going back. Did I really pay the best part of 3 grand for this complete pile of garbage?

Not happy, not happy at all. :-C

Sorry to hear this and of this problem not come across this one before, i do know how you feel though paying out a fair bit of cash and the dam things in the post going back .
Canon are loseing a lot of respect over this MK3 thats for sure.
Rob.

Bugger, that's a shocker, Paul.

As Rob says, this seems like a new problem, so it seems possible that you've just been really unlucky with a one-off component failure - these things happen - but it's still a sickener on a brand new (in both senses of the word) camera.

Paul what a bummer take it back to the Warehouse express canon seminar and they may exchage it.Good luck.

Paul what a bummer take it back to the Warehouse express canon seminar and they may exchage it.Good luck.

That sounds like a good ider on the face of it But if Paul was happy with the AF and i think he was then it may be a risk to change it for another one at leased the shutter problem should have no efect on the AF once it's fixed.
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back