• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon IS 100-400 on a tripod? (1 Viewer)

Marcus Conway - ebirder

Since I bought my set up I haven't taken a tripod out with me. I have been really happy with the hand held results, but as we eneter the gloomy days of winter am thinking I may start hulking the manfrotto with me.

Any pointers? Heard mixed feedback on switching the IS off too...

Since I bought my set up I haven't taken a tripod out with me. I have been really happy with the hand held results, but as we eneter the gloomy days of winter am thinking I may start hulking the manfrotto with me.

I wonder about this too. The Manual says to switch off if mounted to a tripod. I believe the consensus is that it is not a good idea to have it on when mounted to a tripod. It has an older IS that was not made to work with a tripod. I believe the explanation was that the gyroscope or whatever it is called inside the IS will keep running and cause a blurred image.

My advice is turn off the IS. When it is turned on the image moves very slowly from one side to the other in the view finder which can make your image less sharp. If you have a birder's tripod it may require the tripod weighted down a bit with extra weight (at the risk of bending the legs) , birder's tripods are a bit flimsy and just don't cut the mustard in poor light or when there is a slight wind. If the tripod head rattles a bit ..sling it and get one that locks tight.

Remotes are only useful with low shutter speeds. If the day is windy do not use a remote... jam your face against the camera and put your arm over the lens to increase the mass of the rig.

IMHO

My advice is turn off the IS. When it is turned on the image moves very slowly from one side to the other in the view finder which can make your image less sharp. If you have a birder's tripod it may require the tripod weighted down a bit with extra weight (at the risk of bending the legs) , birder's tripods are a bit flimsy and just don't cut the mustard in poor light or when there is a slight wind. If the tripod head rattles a bit ..sling it and get one that locks tight.

Remotes are only useful with low shutter speeds. If the day is windy do not use a remote... jam your face against the camera and put your arm over the lens to increase the mass of the rig.

IMHO

Sorry not to hijack but along the same lines. What is the difference between using a remote shutter release and just using the cameras timed shot feature?

Thanks!

Sorry not to hijack but along the same lines. What is the difference between using a remote shutter release and just using the cameras timed shot feature?

Thanks!

I think it's material to the subject. The difference between taking a shot of the bird and taking a shot of its former perch!

Both are strategies to to reduce shutter release vibration. Incidentally, on my camera, 2 second timer also locks up mirror for further vib reduction.

Hi Marcus,

There does not seem to be any finite opinion on turning IS off or leaving it on when a tripod is used - the last view I latched onto was that it was indeed older lenses that needed IS off, but that the newer ones were not affected and it should be left on, so now I'm as confused as ever!

Regarding use of a remote, I can't see the point of putting the camera on a tripod to make it as stable as possible and then stab at the shutter release with one's index finger, which surely risks introducing some shake? Far better to use a remote and avoid any doubt, whether the shutter speed is high or not. And on this last point, as your reason for considering using a tripod is winter gloom, high shutter speeds will not be attainable anyway. Go for a shutter release my son. Can't remember where I bought one for my 20D but it was on Ebay and considerably cheaper than manufacturer's own - make is JIANISI and it ain't let me down yet.

Best of luck with your photography.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

when we're talking about "new" lenses in the context of the IS and whether or not it should be turned off on a tripod, we're talking purely about newness of the lens design and - particularly - of the IS module used in the lens.

The 100-400 definitely has an old version of IS which is unable to sense that you're using a tripod: it really needs to be turned off if you want to maximise IQ.

Page 9 of the 100-400mm manual actually says:

The image stabilizer should be OFF in the following situations. If the switch is ON the image stabilizer may not operate correctly.

• Shots using a tripod

Last edited:
Hi Adrian,

when we're talking about "new" lenses in the context of the IS and whether or not it should be turned off on a tripod, we're talking purely about newness of the lens design and - particularly - of the IS module used in the lens.

The 100-400 definitely has an old version of IS which is unable to sense that you're using a tripod: it really needs to be turned off if you want to maximise IQ.

Ah! Sanity at last!

Thanks for the info Keith.

Adrian

Thanks!

There is no difference except you will have more control over the picture you take ...or rather more control when you take the picture when you use a remote release.

7 dayshop do a camera release for canon digital cameras for under £7 i got one off ebay from hong kong inc postage £11 works very well it all helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back