• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Yellow Underwing - (from caterpillar to moth) (1 Viewer)

SleepyLizard said:
In April we accidentally dug up a caterpillar while weeding the rose bed. We kept it captive so as to identify it and I've now got a series of photos showing it's development. If you are interested you'll find them here:

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~haggis63/Noctua-pronuba.html
Well done Alan,
However, your love affair with this moth might take another tack when they start coming to light in their hundreds. They can be a positive pest in light traps they are so numerous. Good Photo's and a permanent reminder. At least you will know what a N.pronuba larva looks like next time you meet up with one.

Harry Eales.

Glad you liked the pics Harry & Swift.

harry eales said:
However, your love affair with this moth might take another tack when they start coming to light in their hundreds. They can be a positive pest in light traps they are so numerous.

Ah but people once complained about the abundance of Tasmanian Tigers as well so it doesn't bother me that is is an abundant species :) The thing is, I could record thousands of N. pronuba in a moth trap without actually getting to know anything about the animal itself. Personally, I'd rather learn a lot about a few species than a little about a lot. Watching the process is a real buzz and leaves a greater impression on the mind than any amount of reading.

I hope folk don't missinterpret what I'm saying. I am fully aware of the importance (and pleasure) of moth recording and still hope to get into moth trapping myself one of these days - or perhaps one of these nights :)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back